Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

793euro ESB Bill WTF??

Options
  • 01-04-2008 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

A friend just got this bill:

General Units: 4327 x .1324: 572.89 euro
    Night heating: 1548 x .0700: 108.36
    Vat 94.30euro

over 63days.

nothings changed much since last 2 months, bill was around 140 then.

Whats going on?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

How long has it been since his last meter reading / non-estimated bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭iii Stevo iii

he said that your man came around a month ago.

Okay, and this was the bill he received from that reading.
    It looks like all his bills up to now were estimated, perhaps because they could not gain access to read the meter.

Now its read, and he owes the balance of units used.

He's only being living in the house for 5months

And did he give a meter reading to the ESB when he moved in?

• Advertisement

The meter was read when he moved in. Could it be that the first bill was an estimate and this bill is the catch up?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If he's renting and he's got two meters, then I'd imagine he's in an apartment with storage heaters?

The HUGE number of general units indicates to me that he's using a lot of convection heaters and heavy appliances (such as washing machines/dryers and water heaters) during the day rather than at night.
    When they estimate the usage, they would estimate it based on normal usage (don't ask me how they determine normal usage), where most people would use more general units than night units. On my last (non-estimated) bill I used four times more night units than general units. Stretched out over five months, I would probably use less than 900 general units.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The meter was read when he moved in. Could it be that the first bill was an estimate and this bill is the catch up?
    Sounds very much like it. You should be able to contact the ESB and find out if the last half-dozen bills were estimated or meter-read.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

If its estimated the amount of units usually has an E next to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Someone else with an overcharge here and for a similar amount although it's with Airtricity, could be billing errors from ESB Supply?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's a simple job to check the meter readings and work back from there.

Advertisement