Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goddamn NorthQ powersupply

Options
  • 01-04-2008 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Picked up a NorthQ powersupply recently despite people saying stay clear, well I tried to power up my pc the other day and it wouldn't boot - I assumed it was the motherboard so I binned it and asked here for recommendations for a new one. Anti, good man, recommended ABIT IX38-QuadGT so I buy it and it looks the business, good buy I'm thinking, well when I try to boot it hangs lol - ah jaysus whats the story here , stupid ass me assumes its the board again so I buy a Striker extreme thinking it will sort all my problems well of coarse when I hook it up the sucker won't boot, my bro thinks there no way three boards don't work so he brings around his power supply and lo and behold it works. There was nothing wrong with the board I binned and here I am after buying two new boards, never going near northq again lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

we all learn the hard way :-)

Lucky enough I replaced the qtec case+qtec psu very quickly for my first build
    and escaped very lightly.

At least now your pc works!

And you have a fine mobo to sell on adverts :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You actually binned the first mobo? Ugh, that's awful, you must be so pissed. But still - don't ever dump anything until you're 100% satisfied! Can't believe you bought a replacement mobo for an already OK mobo....and then another...

The only NorthQ I would buy would be case fans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Must bookmark this thread for the next time i see a "nice quad core sli rig savin 20e with a crap psu" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Must bookmark this thread for the next time i see a "nice quad core sli rig savin 20e with a crap psu" thread.

people always skimp on the PSU, they don't realise if they just spend the extra few euros they could use and reuse that PSU for the next few years without worry, rather than having to buy a new one with each build.

but don't worry OP, my first build had a NorthQ in it. If I remember correctly conzy told me to get rid of it asap after my 6800 Ultra suspiciously just died which I did with an enermax PSU, and that was a few years back. Good to see they are still releasing quality products. :rolleyes:

L31mr0d wrote: »
    people always skimp on the PSU, they don't realise if they just spend the extra few euros they could use and reuse that PSU for the next few years without worry, rather than having to buy a new one with each build.

What's worst is that it's not so much skimping, as it is people opting for a 700w NorthQ PSU over a 450w Corsair at the same price...They can afford a good brand, just bit of a preoccupation with output (which is probably inefficient and crap anyway in the likes of NorthQ at high wattage)!

• Advertisement

What's worst is that it's not so much skimping, as it is people opting for a 700w NorthQ PSU over a 450w Corsair at the same price...They can afford a good brand, just bit of a preoccupation with output (which is probably inefficient and crap anyway in the likes of NorthQ at high wattage)!

people tend to get confused by the wattage and don't concern themselves with things like amps on the 12v rail/s or voltage ripple, which, imo, is a lot more important.

Perfect example: go into Maplins. Look at the X-Power PSU's in the red box. One of them is 700w... with 18a total on the 12v!

edit: At the moment on special offer they have an X-Power green LED PSU for 41 euro....think it's 500w with dual rails, about 45a total....was thinking of picking one up just to see what it was like at that price. Sli and Crossfire badged too, though I'd never risk it.

Perfect example: go into Maplins. Look at the X-Power PSU's in the red box. One of them is 700w... with 18a total on the 12v!

A good rule of thumb is to check the ATX standard that the PSU is compliant with. A rating of ATX 2.2 usually means a pretty good PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Well lesson learned I have a 650 watt corsair ordered :) , they come recommended by people round here if I remember rightly , and I have an sli capable board which might tempt me to do some more spending :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

the term "more money than sense" comes to mind :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    Well lesson learned I have a 650 watt corsair ordered :) , they come recommended by people round here if I remember rightly , and I have an sli capable board which might tempt me to do some more spending :)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but cancel the order if you can, the 750W Corsair comes with 4x 6/8pin Sli connectors, 8pins with 6pin attachments, some gpu's come with both an 8pin & a 6pin. The 620W only comes with 2x 6pin. Would be better choice for futureproofing and ample power for any gpu configuration. I've got one coming and have done some research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

the 620w is more then enough for tri 8800gtx because of the 12v rails !

bummer bit too late it's already on it's way :(

Anti wrote: »
    the 620w is more then enough for tri 8800gtx because of the 12v rails !

cool, a little bit of good news for a change :)

bummer bit too late it's already on it's way :(

Don't matter m8, 650w is still a very good psu, didn't kno either myself till i read up, also had 620w in my cart first.

I bought a Jeantech Storm awhile back, it has 2x6pin but it also has what looks like 1x8pin, but it's colored differently, and is not mentioned in the manual, box or online page, so I'm hoping it is an 8pin added in in light of recent cards...

does 9800gx2 come with an 8pin adapter? Because I hear it won't even start up with 2x6pin, unlike the 3870x2...

One of the customer reviews on newegg says it can work with 2x 6pin pcie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You bought two new motherboards... that's gotta hurt

You bought two new motherboards... that's gotta hurt

And not even cheapo ones - seriously expensive.

Are you the same KamiKazi that was playing COD4 earlier on the eSport server?
    One of the customer reviews on newegg says it can work with 2x 6pin pcie

Sweet. Rationality says 'You don't need one!'. I say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

edit: At the moment on special offer they have an X-Power green LED PSU for 41 euro....think it's 500w with dual rails, about 45a total....was thinking of picking one up just to see what it was like at that price. Sli and Crossfire badged too, though I'd never risk it.

Gaming aside, for a standard home PC with, let's say a 400w PSU, what would be an acceptable amperage on the 12v rail for something like that?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Are you the same KamiKazi that was playing COD4 earlier on the eSport server?

That's me.

Advertisement