Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Day in Work

Options
  • 01-04-2008 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi People before i start i would like to apologize for this rant but i need to get it out and this seems like a good place,

Well i was at work today and i attended a meeting which i go to on a weekly basis and I've never had a problem with it and my stammer never seems to be a problem with the other people. Today was different because we had a new chair who has just started and this was his first meeting with us so he asked us all to introduce ourselves and the like, so when it came to my turn i blocked on my name and instead of been patient and waiting this new guy read my name of my security badge and moved on to the next guy. If that wasn't demoralizing enough when we were doing a round the table discussion he passed over me altogether, i found it very embarrassing as i said before I've never had a bother with these meetings before but I'm really dreading the next one. Has anyone else had these problems at work and if so how did you deal with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Pure and simple he's not fit to be a chair, if he's not even willing to listen to what you have to say! I would pull him up on it or go above his head cos in my opinion it's disrespectful what he did to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

That is a terrible thing to do to someone. I agree with EF you should say something to him or if you're not comfortable doing that go over him and say it to his supervisor. Experiences like that can really upset you and get you down. Try to think positive though and put it down to an experience and at the end of the day he's an idiot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

In my experience you have to act on something like this right away, as in you need to speak to him about it. Decide beforehand exactly what you want to say and explain why you're upset.

I don't want to seem like I'm defending the guy but he may have been nervous being the new chair and may have thought he was doing you a favour by reading your name instead of you struggling with it, likewise by over-looking you in the discussion. This obviously means he probably isn't fit to chair the meetings but the sooner you clear the air the better for yourself and probably for him too.

If it turns out that he is just an ignorant t*sser then go over his head but you won't know unless you go to him first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Feel for you mate. I hate them situations and even reading about them makes my heart rate increase. Id love to say you should pull him up but do you need the grief? Ignore it, if he happens to skip you again, make a joke of it, "did you forget me"? and a smile, this will give you the upper hand.

Try not to worry about it mate. I know its going through your mind non stop but nobody else cares or is worried about it. I found out the hard way that life just goes on for everyone else and your speech is not really centre of topic when you're not around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭funky_monkey

some people do not have any experiences with people who stammer. I agree with Bass Cadet in that he probaly thought he was doing you a favour. You need to speak with him as soon as you can. cos the longer he acts like this the worse it can get. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes in the next meeting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mountain

I think you need to speak with him before the next meeting,
    I know that if it was me, i would be dreading the next meeting in case he did it again, and that when i then said something i would fall over my words even more.

Try and bring it up with him, in a setting where you are comfortable, ask him why he did, and then explain to him that there was no need for it.
    Dont hold any anger towards him, because if you are angry, and like me, then it may make your stutter worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 "V"

Thanks for the Replys they were a great help, I had another meeting yesterday and i have to say it went very well with no real blocks on the speech front, Your man was still very stand offish and seems reluctant to ask me questions but i'm sure he get over it in time, Thanks again.

Advertisement