Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

splash page

Options
  • 01-04-2008 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

what you think of this splash page... can you tell me where i went wrong etc..made up of 2 flash files and a table in dreamweaver

thanks a million

http://www.2yearsoff.com/

dani

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

what you think of this splash page

Pretty much the same as I think of every splash page - it's intrusive, unnecessary and annoying. Don't use them! They've been known as a no-no on the Web for years at this stage. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

What is it that you're trying to achieve by using a splash page? That I don't know is probably an indicator of something gone wrong, but maybe if you told me I could give better feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

going to launch a site when counter hits 0, its a travel blog site, info, forum etc. just for general use not commercial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

OK it was the forum link that threw me off. So given that you've no content to offer yet, it's more a holding page than a splash page (which most react negatively to).

+ You could explain what happens at the end of the countdown (unless you're going with the whole Lost TV show approach).
    + No need for flash to do the numver of views.
    + What happens if the user doesn't have flash?
    + Text in counter looks a bit pixelated/compressed
    + Some colouring/graphics might be a bit more pleasing on the eye
    + Aligning th ecounter / number of views might look better?
    + The forum link looks out of place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

going to launch a site when counter hits 0, its a travel blog site, info, forum etc. just for general use not commercial

I suppose the question to ask yourself is who would be interested in seeing a page that is a countdown to a travel blog that may or may not interest them when it actually arrives? They might visit once, but they are unlikely to bookmark and return, and may even be annoyed that they got a clock instead of the travel blog they expected.

Apart from that, the use of a little colour, graphics and branding wouldn't go astray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

squibs wrote: »
    Apart from that, the use of a little colour, graphics and branding wouldn't go astray.

second this ...

Very boring ... I was confused ... I've no idea what its about yet I'm seeing a forum and a views link ? ... whats that about ...

When the transformers website did it .. it was cool ... I knew a bit of the background ... with this .. I'm going what is it ... *yawn* *kill tab*

it is a personal travel site... blog etc.. i can see what your saying... whats the point. to be honest i dont know what the best appoach will be with the site, i will have alot of videos and photos, travel blog etc...
    i want to to have the photos in a dynamic flash gallery built with xml, for easy upload etc.

the numbers i think need to be aliased as the edeges are rough

thanks for tips

does anyone wanna make me a cool 2yearsoff logo....:D

Advertisement