Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2003/2004 Mondeo replacing Polo

Options
  • 01-04-2008 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

Wondering have any of you any experience of the 1.8 Petrol Mondeo ? Have read some positive things about the cars in general but was wondering what is fuel consumption like on the petrol.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the wifes Polo with one as she needs something roomier since the wee lass arrived. They seem to be excellent value for money. We were thinking about the Focus but feel the Mondeo has just that extra bit of space.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/1.8i-110PS/678656/

Anyone purchased from this crowd ? How are they do deal with ?

I might pay the extra money/higher mileage car for Diesel if the petrols figures are poor but don't really need to as my wife doesn't do a whole pile of motoring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would avoid the LX model as it is woefully underpowered. The 1.8 litre petrol only has 110bhp and the 2.0 diesel only has 90/100bhp. LX is pretty basic spec too.

Go for the much better Zetec model, 1.8 litre petrol has 125bhp and the 2.0 TDCi has 115bhp, the Zetec model also has nice toys like alloy wheels, electric windows all round and electric sunroof.

1.8 litre Mondeo is definately going to be heavier on fuel than your used to in the Polo.

Something like this:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/1.8i-125PS/975429/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Cheers Bazz.

I know it's gonna be heavier but couldn't find out anywhere what kind mpg it would do. I used to use this site :

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/

But it doesn't seem to display older cars anymore, certainly not the Mondeo I'm thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I've had a 1.8 petrol mondeo (Zetec) from new and I'm very happy with it. I generally get around 330 miles from a full tank, mostly city driving, and up to 450 when driving long distance. The tank hold 60 litres and cost around 70 euro to fill. So thats 26 mpg around town and 35 mpg on a longer run. The diesel would do better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pete67 wrote: »
    I've had a 1.8 petrol mondeo (Zetec) from new and I'm very happy with it. I generally get around 330 miles from a full tank, mostly city driving, and up to 450 when driving long distance. The tank hold 60 litres and cost around 70 euro to fill. So thats 26 mpg around town and 35 mpg on a longer run. The diesel would do better.

Sounds about right. The performance of that 125bhp unit is pretty decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ktc1

Pete67 wrote: »

I concur with this. I just traded in my '01 Mondeo 1.8 Zetec and this matches what I was getting.

I had 77k miles on it and apart from one brake pad, only had normal servicing costs. A few things did crop up in the last six months that I didn't fix due to the trade in: 1)Air conditioning no longer worked. 2) Heater only worked at full heat or not at all 3) Clock started losing time. 4) Spring broke on the ashtray cover.

Some Mondeo's are also known for leaking through the bottom of the front doors on to the floor carpet. Take up the mats and check for moistness or get your nose down there and smell for dampness.

A lovely car to drive, great space, and luggage room.

My wife didn't like driving it as it was so much bigger than her old Polo. She swapped her Polo for a 1.6L Focus and loves it, it's even more fun to drive than the Mondeo, so that might be an alternative. We have two young children under three and it's fine for day to day transport. We use the Mondeo for longer trips for the extra luggage space.Go for Zetec or Ghia spec as LX is woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Wondering have any of you any experience of the 1.8 Petrol Mondeo ? Have read some positive things about the cars in general but was wondering what is fuel consumption like on the petrol.

I'm toying with the idea of replacing the wifes Polo with one as she needs something roomier since the wee lass arrived. They seem to be excellent value for money. We were thinking about the Focus but feel the Mondeo has just that extra bit of space.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Mondeo/1.8i-110PS/678656/

Anyone purchased from this crowd ? How are they do deal with ?

I might pay the extra money/higher mileage car for Diesel if the petrols figures are poor but don't really need to as my wife doesn't do a whole pile of motoring.

I am heading into Motorpark next week with my Mondy...Nov03(same shape as that one), 2.0 TDCI 130 GHIA X, leather the works. 76K full service history..ill let you know what they are offering on a trade. that 1.8 is a fine car, but i know there Guzzlers...few pound more on a diesel is worth it. As for relibaility....i wont be buying anything but a ford going forward..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

tred wrote: »
    I am heading into Motorpark next week with my Mondy...Nov03(same shape as that one), 2.0 TDCI 130 GHIA X, leather the works. 76K full service history..ill let you know what they are offering on a trade. that 1.8 is a fine car, but i know there Guzzlers...few pound more on a diesel is worth it. As for relibaility....i wont be buying anything but a ford going forward..

What are trading in for? Another mondeo? Galaxy? Ford Ka ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

tred wrote: »

The 1.8 mondeo is aguzzler compared to the diesel but compared to other petrol cars of the same size I'd say it stacks up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

ill let you know what they are offering on a trade

tred , do that for the craic.

Thanks for the replies lads. A friend of the wife (Ex salesman) told me to stay away from the petrol model but then again he always drives diesel cars. A petrol car is never gonna compete with diesel for economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Thanks for the replies lads. A friend of the wife (Ex salesman) told me to stay away from the petrol model but then again he always drives diesel cars. A petrol car is never gonna compete with diesel for economy.

i get between 535 - 550miles to a tank (60 ltr)on my 10 year old 2.0 petrol Mondeo(122'000 miles)
    all N11 driving by the way:)

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    What are trading in for? Another mondeo? Galaxy? Ford Ka ;)

another Mondeo , Esatate..need more room!. I have a buggy the size of a KA :)

yeah i went in allright. He offered my 13450. Wife has a 03 focus and he was offering her 10500 on hers. I think ill try and sell it private. I wouldnt give them the car, he was licking his lips as he probably had a taxi driver waiting for it!!.

Advertisement