Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCP 70-297 (Designing AD)

Options
  • 01-04-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. Is 70-297 just the 'design' version of 70-294 - eg like 284 & 285??. I'm doing 70-294 in a couple of weeks and am finding the material easy enough since I work with AD everyday so am maybe thinking of doing 297 a day or two afterwards? I've had a look thru techexams etc but as usual there's mixed reviews of people finding it grand, and others failing it for the 5th time - i'm thinking they might have been thrown by the design layout/testlets etc? I gambled and did 285 the day after 284 and passed - it was just the same material asked in a different way. With second shot i don't think there's anything to loose but i dont want to crash and burn :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@tk123, Yes, its the design exam which can be the tougher of the two (depending on your knowledge). Its all about the "Big Picture" placement of servers/FSMO Roles/DNS etc.

I wouldn't do it back to back, a lot of people find the design exams quite hard because its not something they do everyday.

How often do you actually setup on DNS server for the start, create a new domain and/or have to decide on which server(s) to place the FSMO roles. Can you tell me what each FSMO roles is responsible for?

Not looking for answers, just to point out the differences, the majority of IT pros generally look after a domain or forest but very few actually build them from scratch and decide on the server placement.

You sound like you are more than capable, I would just give this exam more "respect" (for want of a better word) than that.

I would like to hear how you get on if you do take it :)

The WS2000 Design exam was the first exam I failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks Static. I think I might chance my arm with it - at least if I fail i'll have an idea of what I need to improve on. and I can take it again with second shot. The way things are in work atm I want to get out sooner rather than later and want to have the full mcse down on the cv!

Yeah your probably right, you can't lose with the second shot offer.

If you need any help let me know, and let us know how you get on!!

Thanks!! Hopefully I'll be back with good news but keep an eye out on the news for a girl running amok in dublin if I fail! :D:D

tk123 wrote: »
    Thanks!! Hopefully I'll be back with good news but keep an eye out on the news for a girl running amok in dublin if I fail! :D:D

Surely thats if you pass?! Its your final exam isn't it?

• Advertisement

Surely thats if you pass?! Its your final exam isn't it?
    No I saved XP until last so I wouldn't be tempted to stop at MCSA!:pac:

Good thinking! Its always good to finish on an easy exam if you can help it!

GAH!! :mad::(:mad::( just back from failing it there. First time around I was chancing my arm, and got stressed in the exam when I ran out of time on one of the testlets and it just kind of snowballed to a crappy score. I took it as a glass half full situation - get an idea of what it's like and what i need to work on etc and it was a free try with the 2nd shot voucher. I booked again, read the MS book and exam cram from cover to cover, did practice tests but just a couple of times so i wasn't learning them off by heart but actually thinking abt what i was doing. Headed in today more confident and relaxed only to come out with exactly the same crappy score. I have what should have been my last exam booked for 2 weeks and don't know if i should reschedule this one or quit and do 298 instead. I really wanted to be done with them before I go on hols. I'm so pi$$ed off and disheartened with the whole thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tk123 wrote: »
    70-294
    Off-topic, but how much did it cost ye to do this exam? We talking €150, €300, or what?

€140 but you get get second shot vouchers to take then again if you fail : http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you didn't pass tk123. Don't get to disheartened we all fail exams, although its a pain in the ass, you can still come back and nail it.

Do you have the print outs from both attempts? they can be very helpful to see what you know and what you need to spend more time on.

Take some time off and try and remember what came up in the exam, write out a list. Then print out the list of what comes up in the exam and see what else you can think of.

I went though the Prep list from MS, its a tough exam but it will definetly be worth it once you pass.

Once you get your prep. work done and are ready to hit the books again, come back here and we can help you pass.

Thanks Static!! I have it booked for next week - I really want to get it over with!! I have a fair idea where I went wrong so going over these areas again! Hopefully I'll be reporting back with a sucess story next week! :D

Haha VICTORY!!! 893 this time woohoo - just one more left for MCSE! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Nice work!!!!

Yeh, a very big Congratulations!

What a great score too 893!!

Well Done!

Thanks guys! 889 on 20-270 today makes MCSE :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Nice.. now all is left is the upgrade to 2008 :p

I've already been reading the various forums to see what books etc people are using. Def doing the upgrade but might mix things up and throw in a cisco or unix cert first for a break from MS!

Well Done tk123! Congrats on your MCSE!

Advertisement