Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First PC Self Build - Any Suggestions?

Options
  • 01-04-2008 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭

I've decide to take advantage of the excellently priced Nvidia 9800GTX on Harwareversand while (if) it's still in stock. So I'm putting together my new PC a little earlier that I had intended. I'm looking for great gaming performance with decent bang for buck. I'll also be using Photoshop and some animation software. My current PC will be 5-years old in 3 days time. :)

I'd be grateful for any comments/suggestions you may have.
    Here's the build so far:
    hwv01mn9.jpg

Here are a couple of question I have:

Is the GA-P35-DS3 worth getting over the GA-P35-DS3L ?

Which ram would you recommend? I'm looking at getting 4GB either PC6400 or PC8500 ram. I like the look of these but there are cheaper sticks. The only reasonable PC8500 ram is out of stock (delivery date unknown). [Link]

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ignore Thermalright HR-05... forgot to remove it from my basket. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Looks good to me...

Though I would get an Sli board and drop the soundcard...

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=18310&agid=659

Fan looks good...

Komplett have 8800gt for €145 with free game, 2 of them would kill a 9800gtx...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055266252

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Cheers Squall. I was considering that board (for future SLI) but the Newegg reviews put me off it.

Also I was under the impression the Nvidia boards run hot and aren't the best for overclocking.

I'm deciding between these Q6600 from hardwareversand. [Link1] [Link2]

The plan was to get the "tray" version as I plan on adding an after-market cooler but is the "non tray" version the better G0 Stepping version? Doesn't mention the CPUID on either but the "Thermal Design Power" on the "tray" version is rated 105 Watts. The other is rated 95 W.

EDIT: went ahead and ordered the following:

No.: HV20OB96DE 4096MB-Kit OCZ PC2-6400 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth, CL4
    No.: HV202ASVDE Arctic Silver V (Wlp.) Wärmeleitpaste 1ml
    No.: HVR620CSDE ATX-Netzteil Corsair 620W 620 Watt
    No.: HV203FALDE Coolermaster Dominator Xcalade (CM690) ohne Netzteil schwarz
    No.: HV27CGT2DE Creative GigaWorks T20
    No.: HV23CSB1DE Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE (bulk) - 30SB057000000
    No.: HV1126IMDE Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ,Intel P35, ATX, PCI-Express
    No.: HV20QX66DE Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 boxed, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield
    No.: HV1026NVDE MSI N9800GTX-M2D512, 512MB, GDDR3, PCI-Express
    No.: HV202RM3DE Raptor-Gaming M3 Laser Gaming Mouse
    No.: HV13753SDE Samsung HD753LJ 750GB S-ATA II, 32MB Cache
    No.: HV207SDBDE Samsung SH-S203D bulk schwarz
    No.: HV30XIA1DE Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Sockel 939/AM2,775

I figured I might as well go for the "boxed" Q6600 as the TDP seems to indicate it's the G0 Stepping version. Also some people have had trouble getting these ram sticks (2 x 2GB) to sit next to each other (due to their width). Is there any disadvantage in using one of the other 2 available ram slots for the second stick?

Let me know me if you see any potential problems with the build before I head to the bank to do the transfer.

Cheers.

5-years old today (what's that in 'computer years'?) - and limping over the finish line by the sounds of it. :D

20080403bpccv7.th.jpg

and the original Aldi flyer...

20080403bpcspecjw3.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

if u can afford it, id go for a q9450, http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=19932&agid=398 they had some earlier this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Fnz wrote: »

No.: HV20OB96DE 4096MB-Kit OCZ PC2-6400 ReaperX HPC Enhanced Bandwidth, CL4
    No.: HV202ASVDE Arctic Silver V (Wlp.) Wärmeleitpaste 1ml
    No.: HVR620CSDE ATX-Netzteil Corsair 620W 620 Watt
    No.: HV203FALDE Coolermaster Dominator Xcalade (CM690) ohne Netzteil schwarz
    No.: HV27CGT2DE Creative GigaWorks T20
    No.: HV23CSB1DE Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE (bulk) - 30SB057000000
    No.: HV1126IMDE Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ,Intel P35, ATX, PCI-Express
    No.: HV20QX66DE Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 boxed, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield
    No.: HV1026NVDE MSI N9800GTX-M2D512, 512MB, GDDR3, PCI-Express
    No.: HV202RM3DE Raptor-Gaming M3 Laser Gaming Mouse
    No.: HV13753SDE Samsung HD753LJ 750GB S-ATA II, 32MB Cache
    No.: HV207SDBDE Samsung SH-S203D bulk schwarz
    No.: HV30XIA1DE Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Sockel 939/AM2,775

Cheers.

Perfect...

Every single component is class..

Beautiful pc, Quad will get to 3.4ghz easy on that board ( if its a Go, maybe more), 9800gtx will overclock like hell too most are getting 20% on the core and even more on the memory, bargain for €237...

Shouldnt have went with Creative though, they are scum :D

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=116332

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't suppose you want to sell that 9600TX (Aldi/Lidl and their crazy OEM cards) Fnz? Need an AGP card badly!

Nice machine - great price for the GTX.

Ishindar wrote: »
    if u can afford it, id go for a q9450, http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=19932&agid=398 they had some earlier this week.

For months I was waiting for that card to come out. It looked like it would be the best performance/price Wolfdale but when the reviews started coming out the enthusiast consensus was that it wasn't much of an improvement - especially in terms of overclockability. So I figured I'd put the money saved by buying the q6600 towards a better graphics card.
    Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Perfect...

Every single component is class..

Beautiful pc, Quad will get to 3.4ghz easy on that board ( if its a Go, maybe more), 9800gtx will overclock like hell too most are getting 20% on the core and even more on the memory, bargain for €237...

Shouldnt have went with Creative though, they are scum :D

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=116332

Cheers for the input - I was going to get a HR-03 plus but wasn't sure if I needed an adapter to fit. Not sure how difficult this overclocking malarkey will be so reckon I'll worry about the CPU for now. The GTX seems to be a well cooled card anyway.

I do feel a little guilty for buying Creative Labs products as I did hear the daniel_k story on Buzz Out Loud. Tbh though, Creative is the only name I know when it comes to soundcards. I had already driven myself to distraction, researching other components, so I just went with the brand name on that. The Creative GigaWorks T20 I wanted due to this and other positive reviews - and they were only €56 on hardwareversand - I'm not made of stone!

... besides, now that my stupid Creative T3100s won't play anything out the right channel, what am I going to hook my Creative Zen up to... WHAT!?! :)

I'm such a Creative™ whore. :o
    Don't suppose you want to sell that 9600TX (Aldi/Lidl and their crazy OEM cards) Fnz? Need an AGP card badly!

Nice machine - great price for the GTX.

Thanks. I hope the GTX isn't "obnoxiously loud" like the Tomshardware review indicates - instead I hope it turns out to be "extremely quiet" like bjorn3d reviewer says. :D

The 9600TX (also MSI) is the reason I said my PC is limping over the finish line. Something's up with its tiny fan - it sound like the end of the world when it gets going. Once it reaches the peak of its speed/volume (and I can imagine The Four Horsemen bursting forth from some fan-created maw) it emits a series of anguished yelps before reducing down to a low whimper (possibly weeping for bringing the End times upon us). It stopped spinning altogether yesterday, so I used all my PC repair knowledge to detach/reattach said fan.

I'll definitely need the graphics card for the next couple of weeks at least. Having this old PC working would be handy. I just don't know if it's worth the effort/cost of repairing the components.

Advertisement