Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchbay help

Options
  • 01-04-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Need some help with setup here.. Getting myself more and more confused as i try to find a configuration. Any help would be much appreciated before i return to an inflexible wiring arrangement :) And yes, i am an embarrased noob at this.. I think i have got the wrong idea of how it was going to work, and as a result the explanations i find on the web make no sense to me.. Let me explain..

In my home studio I use some outboard effects. In order to minimise repatching for different instruments I decided to purchase a cheap patchbay (Behringer PX2000 to be precise).

In short, in the rack unit i have a (from top to bottom)
    - Patchbay
    - Zoom 9150 Guitar preamp
    - Alesis Microverb 3
    - Dual Channel 16 band Eq
    - Compressor/Expander/Noise Gate etc
    - Driving Enhancer

I was hoping to come to a configuration that allowed me to patch them in channels 1-5 on the patchbay.. At the back of the patch bay the 1A (row1 Upper channel) would go to Zoom 9150 input with the output returning to 1B (row 1 lower channel). 2A would go to the Microverb with the output coming back to 2B etc etc for all 5 channels. All channels would be set to Half normalised and at the front (still with me? :D) i would connect to 1A and if i only wanted Zoom and Microverb in the chain i would connect a lead from Front 1B to Front 2A and from 2B to my mixing desk.. i have tried this.. and i get no signal.. In fact no matter what configuations i try i cannot get a signal back..

The only signal i have been able to get to the desk is by switching the patch bay to open, and i only get a clean unproccessed signal which hasnt been though the chain..

Any ideas? And be gentle :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Where's your mixing desk in all this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

It's at the end of the chain.. I only record solo atm.. and what i do is move the output from the chain (physical guitar cable) to a different channel on the mixing desk based on what instrument i am using..

I'm beginning to think i have the wrong idea/use model for this patch bay :)

Basically, the way i work is...

link up the rack units i want for guitar and connect to channel 1 for example.. record this..
    link up the units i want for bass and then move the cable to channel 2 for bass .. record this..
    link up the units for drums etc etc etc..

Edit.. What i was hoping to achieve was 1A would be the input on the front, i would then use short patch leads to link the units i want on the patch bay and 5B (if using 5 rack units) would be the output to the mixing desk. So for example, if i wanted to record bass with just EQ.. i would connect to 1A (input) then connect a patch lead from 1B to 3A (Eq input) and from 3B (EQ output) to 5B (chain output to mixer).. Is this possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

:D:D:D

Got it working.. a faulty lead was the source of my issue.. It was one i thought i had swapped.. Lesson learnt :)

Advertisement