Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proof of country exit in South America

• 01-04-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi

When travelling to South America is it true that you need to have proof of exit from a country prior to entering this region. Would a bus or train ticket be sufficient to prove this? Or do you need a flight ticket?

Hertz

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I was never asked for proof of onward travel. The governments of South American countries love gringo's coming over and spending all their money so they are not strict on asking for proof of onward travel. But certain airlines will not let you board if you can not prove to them that you will leave before your legal days (usually 90 or so) are up. This is because if a certain country refuses entry the airlines incurs the costs of transporting you back to your home country. Call up the airline you are flying into SA with and tell them off your plans.

Also a bus or train ticket is sufficient. Only problem is that it is quite difficult to book buses and trains while outside of the country where the journey will take place. A lot of the companies don't have sites and some require your passport presented to them in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Never came across this myself, also remember being told that I would definitly have my yellow fever cert checked , again, never happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It can happen, when we went from Venezualea to Colombia the border guard wouldnt let my mate thru without proof of return. He was allowed to go up the road and buy a bus ticket though and then they allowed him in. All depends on the border guard on the day but it can and does happen- some will even insist on a flight ticket not a bus one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I was asked abut an onward ticket when getting into Brazil on a plane, that was only because its the airlines fault (I think) if they take someone who then doesn't get through customs for that reason.
    Also Costa Rica are known for it. I know it's not South but it's close enough. I got asked there once, didn't the next time. In my case proof that I had a flight from Chile to Aus 6 months later was enough to get me into the country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

*Sorry double post*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

RATM wrote: »
    It can happen, when we went from Venezualea to Colombia the border guard wouldnt let my mate thru without proof of return. He was allowed to go up the road and buy a bus ticket though and then they allowed him in. All depends on the border guard on the day but it can and does happen- some will even insist on a flight ticket not a bus one.

Yeah it will depend on the guard but apparently the Colombian-Venezuela border is well know for being a bit difficult at times. Just depends on what type of a day the guard had. But generally on land crossings you will always get in once you have your have your passport valid and are entitled to a tourist card or have your visa in order. You can always ask is there a fine that you can pay to resolve the problem. Learn of the phrase 'Puedo pagarle mi multa directamente, oficial?' or even 'Puedo pagar la multa ahora?' will do. It sets up the scenario for the official to say yes you can pay a fine and it will cost x amount. He usually keeps the money. So you bribed a border guard without suggesting or offending him. They are well used to the set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Yeah it will depend on the guard but apparently the Colombian-Venezuela border is well know for being a bit difficult at times. Just depends on what type of a day the guard had. But generally on land crossings you will always get in once you have your have your passport valid and are entitled to a tourist card or have your visa in order. You can always ask is there a fine that you can pay to resolve the problem. Learn of the phrase 'Puedo pagarle mi multa directamente, oficial?' or even 'Puedo pagar la multa ahora?' will do. It sets up the scenario for the official to say yes you can pay a fine and it will cost x amount. He usually keeps the money. So you bribed a border guard without suggesting or offending him. They are well used to the set up.

Yeah thats very true and its also a handy technique for offering a bribe, you're not technically offering one, just enquiring is there a fine you can pay. I used that line with success in Mexico city after 3 cops jumped on me for drinking a bottle of beer in the street ! It was my first night there and I just had some street tacos which 5 minutes after consumption set my throat on fire. I ran into a bodega and bought a litre bottle of beer to cool down, was walking along with it in a brown paper bag, having the odd sip and next thing I knew the cops jumped me. Had to give them around $10 which was better than going down the cop shop and paying the super and all his mates $50 !

Advertisement