Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do to motivate yourself?

• 01-04-2008 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all!

Just a quick one, maybe an idea for a sticky for when we have the inevitable temptation days (like mine today, but I avoided it thanks to the encouragement I got in my food diary).

A friend of mine puts on the Rambo soundtrack to encourage her to go to the gym, another has a FAT picture on her fridge to resist the temptations.

I haven't quite figured out mine yet, so looking for inspiration.

I think if this thread is used, and people have ideas, it will be a vital source of motivation for all of us :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I've got a picture of a really amazing looking female bodybuilder squatted 100kg on my fridge. When I'm tempted, I look at her and think about what I can do to get close to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I've started to purposely associate the feelings of hunger (mild hunger, that is) with feelings of success. Gradually it has really started to make me feel positive when rather than miserable when I get peckish, and every second thought doesn't revert to sprinting to the fridge.
    I guess it's an NLP technique but it does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

I guess what motivates you depends on what your goals are.

For example if it is to lose weight to look better, carrying around a picture of yourself when you were slimmer might help (or as my WW leader suggested a pic of your favourite celeb body with your head stuck on!)

If you are training for a paticular event carrying maybe starting a calander showing the amount of days left etc

I know one women who was told she was in real danger of developing diabetes because of her weight. She carried round a picture of a hypodermic needle and looked at it every time she felt the willpower wavering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

Don't have crap in the house, for if you do you WILL eat it - eventually!

Easiest thing to do if you ask me, go shopping after dinner so you won't buy crap at the supermarket and then if it's not in the house and you are peckish you can eat whatever you want coz there's only good stuff there!

Having siad that, I may give the whole sticking a picture a fit female on my fridge a shot and see if that works!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 skinnyminny

Hi there,
    I feel your pain...I purposely buy a pair of trousers one or two sizes too small and as the weight is creeping off I keep trying them on to see how they fit (or dont fit!!) - when they eventually fit, I am chuffed and then go out and buy the next size down! It obviously depends on how much weight you need to lose but it works for me and inspires me to keep going!!
    Good luck, you are not alone!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EileenG wrote: »
    I've got a picture of a really amazing looking female bodybuilder squatted 100kg on my fridge. When I'm tempted, I look at her and think about what I can do to get close to that.
    If a lad had posted that it would have been a banning ;)
    Hi there,
    I feel your pain...I purposely buy a pair of trousers one or two sizes too small and as the weight is creeping off I keep trying them on to see how they fit (or dont fit!!) - when they eventually fit, I am chuffed and then go out and buy the next size down!

I had old jeans I never thought I would wear again, and had the same thing happen. Then I was buying new jeans, never thought I would be buying 32" waist jeans, but now I need belts on them! In the xmas sales I picked up some bargains, as now I am the oddball size that gets left over, i.e. too thin! seems the average size has just shifted up a notch, so even though I should be a medium, I am small in some brands.

The jeans/trousers should be well washed so they are fully shrunk, then in effect you have a whole series of tape measures, down your waist and thighs. You might suck in your gut and fool yourself with a tape measure, but you cant suck your thighs in all day long!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

rubadub wrote: »
    If a lad had posted that it would have been a banning ;)

I'm 47, I'm never going to look like the fitness models, but there is a chance that if I work hard enough, I might be able to squat 100kg with that sort of form.

Advertisement