Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sightreading

Options
  • 01-04-2008 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

Is anyone doing sightreading on keyboard? I was looking at it today, its way easier than piano. The left hand is just, like, semibreve chords. I'm wondering if theres a catch, are you expected to put on keyboard effects or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eoinalmighty

Id just like to say that i would strongly advise you to do rhythm clapping instead of sightreading

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Clapping is way harder than sight reading! Remembering 8 bars? Why not just play music that's right infront of you. : p

I'm guessing if you do the sight reading on keyboard you have to do your practical on keyboard.. how that differs from piano, I don't know, but as far as I know, there is some distinction... (For example I think there are separate exams for keyboard/piano.. I don't know, I'm just a string player.)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Keyboard and piano are two totally different instruments....

If you do your sightreading for keyboard you'll have to have done your whole practical on a keyboard, and the idea of that is that you'll have been expected to play with effects and whatnot. It's hard to explain really, but a guy in my class was really great with a keyboard, it's completely different (I play piano).

I'd say it's like that because often that's what keyboard players do... I know sometimes when I was early for my piano lesson there was a girl beggining keyboard there and she'd play chords in the left, whereas you never really do that in piano. I'm not really an expert though, it's just what I saw. I dunno why it'd still be like that at LC level.

Also I think he was advising sight clapping, it's really easy. I did sight playing though, it's more interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There's an option to do sight clapping? Surely that would be ridiculously simple... (unless they gave you mad weird rhythms, but judging by the standard of the sight reading, they don't expect an awful lot.)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

Sight clapping is shockingly easy too.. seriously. One i saw recently was in 3 timing and the most difficult was a dotted crotchet , or semi quavers.

BUT come on! Clapping back is a joke, its really only 6 bars of music because the first and last are so similar...depends on the person though.

but what's even easier still is the guitar sight reading. If anyone can play guitar, and i mean barely here, just know your basic chords and the odd 7th chord. It is pathetic! I am doing the clapping though..

best of luck anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Yeah there's an option for it, and yes it's really easy. Semi quavers and dotted beats are as hard as it gets. But since it's really easy they're going to mark you hard on it.

I always found clapping from memory a bit difficult since I tend to forget after a few bars... Same with the singing from memory.

Btw, for anyone with perfect pitch or an amazing ear, you don't have to clap back a melody, just like you can sing one back, you're allowed play it back on your instrument too. I remember my teacher was trying to get a girl to do that...

Advertisement