Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting test with 0.2g and 0.25g BBs

Options
  • 01-04-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

In my usual style of self pimping, the below post is from my site airsofthacks.com: http://www.airsofthacks.com/2008/04/interesting/, just thought i'd post it here too, not a troubleshooting topic, but technical so likely of more interest to the people who frequent here.

Hands up if you’ve ever wondered about the difference in different weights of BBs? Accuracy, range, wind resistance? Well, here’s another factor which I never considered until recently. I read a post on arniesairsoft.co.uk in which the poster mentioned that using heavier bb’s could potentially increase the power output (i.e. Joules). Essentially what it boils down to is that heavier weight bb’s stay in the barrel longer, therefore get more time to accelerate than lighter ones.

To test this theory, I grabbed my favourite AEG (TM P90), which fires at a fairly consistent .95-.98J and some Excel brand 0.2g and 0.25g BBs, testing with the different weights gave the results below:
    P90/0.2g 	P90/0.25g
    0.96 	         0.96
    0.96 	         0.96
    0.97 	         0.97
    0.95 	         0.96
    0.96 	         0.97

Theory smashed? Yea, that’s what I thought too, I decided to test it out with another device, conveniently I had my KSC G18c to hand which I loaded up with some gas and BBs, results are below:
    G18/0.2g 	G18/0.25g
    0.85 	         0.95
    0.85 	         0.93
    0.87 	         0.91
    0.88 	         0.94
    0.89 	         0.93

Haha! That theory seems it might have some grounding in truth, well, to be a bit more sure, I tested with 2 more pistols which I had handy, a Meister Glock 17 GBB and a KSC Glock 19 GBB, yes I know, all Glocks, you either love them or you hate them and in my case it’s definitely the former, but don’t judge me on that, I own several other pistols which aren’t Glocks too :).

The Meister Glock 17 achieved power outputs at:
    G17/0.2g 	G17/0.25g
    0.66 	         0.72
    0.64 	         0.73
    0.66 	         0.71
    0.65 	         0.69
    0.64 	         0.72

And the KSC Glock 19:
    G19/0.2g 	G19/0.25g
    0.78 	         0.87
    0.8 	         0.89
    0.8 	         0.87
    0.81 	         0.85
    0.77 	         0.83

So, what exactly is going on here? Well, the key difference is that the P90’s barrel is 247mm long, whereas the pistol barrels are only about 100mm long. The fact that the p90 has the same output power with both the .20’s and .25’s shows that the physical size of the BB is not playing a part in the extra power output, infact I measured a sample of both .20g and .25g BBs and found them all to be the same size (5.88-5.90mm).

The extra length of the P90 barrel in comparison to the pistol barrel gives the BB ample time to accelerate using the energy of the gas behind it (in this case, the air which is pushed by the AEG’s piston), however the pistol having such a short barrel causes much of the energy (in the form of gas) to be expelled out the end of the barrel after the BB has already exited the barrel. Using a heavier weight BB means that the BB spends longer in the barrel of the pistol and has more time to be accelerated by the expanding gas behind it, thus a greater amount of energy is transferred from the gas to the BB.

So not only do .25g BBs have greater resistance to wind, they actually make more efficient use of the energy expelled by the GBB, but in the case of the P90 with a barrel of 247mm, it made no difference. I’ll conduct some further tests on AEG’s with different barrel lengths, but I’m fairly sure that anything with a barrel of around 200mm or more will not see any difference in power output with different BB weights.

It is also important to remember that here in Ireland, the legal limit for any airsoft device’s output power is 1 Joule, using 0.25g BBs with a device which fires at 0.99J on 0.20g BBs may actually increase it’s power to above 1 Joule, care must be taken to ensure that you are compliant with the law at all times.

*Update:

I repaired my Cyma Glock 18 AEP last night and re-wired it with an external battery, so this morning I decided to conduct a few more tests, below are the results using .20g and .25g BBs as above.
    G18AEP/0.2g 	G18AEP/0.25g
    0.32 	           0.31
    0.33 	           0.29
    0.33 	           0.3
    0.32 	           0.3
    0.32 	           0.31

As you can see, there is no noticeable increase as with the GBBs, infact with the .25g BBs in the AEP, the power output decreases. Theory busted? Well, no, not really, the Glock AEP has a much smaller gearbox than an AEG and a very small piston/cylinder to compress air in, so in this case, the volume of air in the cylinder matches the volume of air required to propel a .20g BB efficiently down the relatively small 100mm barrel. Were this a full sized AEG gearbox with a 100mm barrel, then quite likely the expected results of the energy level increasing would be seen.

I’ll be conducting a few more tests with this theory to try and get the most conclusive results possible, so check back for more updates soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭[--SC(+)PE--]

0.25's for the win :D,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

It's funny as i was just out today testing different weights of BB in my Hi capa and P90 lol Very interesting KD

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

0.25's for the win :D,

Your wrong.

0.23's for the win ;) - They are the perfect weight for our power limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

How are Beast brand BBs? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

zero19 wrote: »
    How are Beast brand BBs? ;)

Grand, physically they are pretty much identical to excel's, but personally I've had problems with them feeding in my p90

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

would be interesting to see that done with .33's in pistols, just for comparison sake, i know they'd have a better effect out of a rifle but thats .10 of an increase in the glocks joulage, noticible enough like.
    have you tried any different weights in 8mil?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

nicely done KD, id like to have my G36 running on .23s but they havent agreed with the barrel in the past, i got a new one off ambro though so ill try it again., :)

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

nicely done,thats really interesting...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

would be interesting to see that done with .33's in pistols, just for comparison sake, i know they'd have a better effect out of a rifle but thats .10 of an increase in the glocks joulage, noticible enough like.

Yeah get some ridiculous weight BBs and see what happens.
    I mean like Lead 2 gramme ones.

I'm gonna try get my hands on some .30s or similar and see what happens, i'd imagine the increase has a maximum peak somewhere where the max energy output is attained, ideally I'd like to get a whole range of BBs from .12/.15/.18/.20/.23/.25/.28/.30/.35/.40 and graph it to see where the energy output peaks.

Yeah get some ridiculous weight BBs and see what happens.
    I mean like Lead 2 gramme ones.

2g lead BBs would just go about 10ft and fall more than likely, the energy output wouldnt increase in a linear fashion and as above, i'd expect it to peak probably somewhere around .25/.28

• Advertisement

what make chrono are you using?
    im really wanting to get one between a couple of us, any reccomendations?
    have you heard anything about the mad bull one?

Madbull one is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it myself, I use the Xcortech 3200, rsov have them: http://www.rsov.com/product/0/1315/p_Xcortech-perfect-grade-BB-chronoscope-X3200.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

kdouglas wrote: »
    Madbull one is supposed to be good, but I haven't tried it myself, I use the Xcortech 3200, rsov have them: http://www.rsov.com/product/0/1315/p_Xcortech-perfect-grade-BB-chronoscope-X3200.html

ive got one of these not sure how to measure the rate of fire though do you have to fire a certain number of bbs for a certain time etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

johnboyire wrote: »
    ive got one of these not sure how to measure the rate of fire though do you have to fire a certain number of bbs for a certain time etc?

I've got one as well. Just fire about 2 or 3 secs of automatic through it and it will come up with your RPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i hereby rechristen KD...professor...:D

very interesting stuff there kd...and yet more proof that i dont want to be either too far off or too near 328fps...the smallest thing and you bounce over

i think i am going to try and get 300ish as the top fps. now which spring is the next big q...

an ms90 should in theory give you 300fps, but depending on your airseal can also push you over, an ms80 would be the safest.

I'm looking into getting quite a varied range of bb weights and should hopefully be able to test them all and graph the power output based on the different weights, i'm really curious to see how it turns out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

Try some .87g bbs:)

liamo333 wrote: »
    Try some .87g bbs:)

if i can get my hands on them i will be, should know later today whether i can get all the different weight BBs i want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

Beast ASI wrote: »
    I've got one as well. Just fire about 2 or 3 secs of automatic through it and it will come up with your RPM.

cool thanks!

• Advertisement

way ahead of you, just waiting for them to get back to me whether or not they'll ship here.

Right, just ordered the following from begadi:

.12g
    .16g
    .18g
    .23g
    .28g
    .30g
    .33g
    .43g

Coupled with the .20g's and the .25g's I already have, this gives me quite a good set of values to graph the peak power output.

Watch This Space

I repaired my Cyma Glock 18 AEP last night and re-wired it with an external battery, so this morning I decided to conduct a few more tests, below are the results using .20g and .25g BBs as above.
    G18AEP/0.2g 	G18AEP/0.25g
    0.32 	           0.31
    0.33 	           0.29
    0.33 	           0.3
    0.32 	           0.3
    0.32 	           0.31

As you can see, there is no noticeable increase as with the GBBs, infact with the .25g BBs in the AEP, the power output decreases. Theory busted? Well, no, not really, the Glock AEP has a much smaller gearbox than an AEG and a very small piston/cylinder to compress air in, so in this case, the volume of air in the cylinder matches the volume of air required to propel a .20g BB efficiently down the relatively small 100mm barrel. Were this a full sized AEG gearbox with a 100mm barrel, then quite likely the expected results of the energy level increasing would be seen.

I’ll be conducting a few more tests with this theory to try and get the most conclusive results possible, so check back for more updates soon.

.12g
    .16g
    .18g
    .23g
    .28g
    .30g
    .33g
    .43g

Coupled with the .20g's and the .25g's I already have, this gives me quite a good set of values to graph the peak power output.

Watch This Space

nice, did you buy by the 100?
    whats the delivery like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

.12g
    .16g
    .18g
    .23g
    .28g
    .30g
    .33g
    .43g

Watch This Space

Interesting, I was just on to them myself and trying to find out if they'd shop to Ireland, which evidently they do. What's the shipping cost and estimated turnaround like to Ireland?

They're one of the main biodegradable bb suppliers, and I was looking at trying out a range of brands to see if I could wrangle Tony into supplying them. Of course, the range of available weights is a lot smaller, so it would be .2 or .25 for me, practically speaking.

I take it that although you are doing practical tests, what does theoretical physics have to say about probable outcomes for your tests? Or have you done a theoretical graph yet? I'm sure there are so many variables at play that it couldn't be accurate (barrels, bb quality and size, piston and mechanism, etc). Anyway, I'm sure you have a big enough armoury to work with but I'd be happy to drop an SL-8 and G36C to you if you need anything else to test with.

It was 25euro for shipping, which isn't too unreasonable when you consider the weight of BBs, but I get the impression they have a a fairly flat rate shipping charge for most international orders. No idea what the turn around time is yet, will let you know when I get them.

I haven't worked out the theoretical output of the tests yet and to be honest it would be quite difficult to do, as you said, there are way too many variables at play to accurately calculate it, plus it's easier to just do the test and see what happens :)

Thanks for the offer of the AEGs, I'll probably test with PSG-1/G36/M4/MP5/P90 to get conclusive results on AEGs, but I expect there to be no variance with any of the above since the shortest barrel of them all is over 200mm, I might pick up an mp5k at the end of the month though, it would bridge the gap nicely between the GBB pistols i'm using and the full size AEGs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Can I throw a potential spanner int he works Keith?

Using GBBs probably isn't the best idea. Each shot dosn't get exactly the same volume of gas, it's inconsistant enough to throw out the test if you are going to such low tollerances.
    You know, the seals cool down, the preassure in the mag drops. Reduces the explosive power of the gas.

These are just my thoughts on the matter.

Maybe you could try again with the P90 and get a spread of results across two or three tests, rather than testing two or three different technologies.

Anyway, on an interesting side note. I found a problem with some of the chronographs.
    It surfaced when I chronied my G36 twice. Once with the silencer, once without.
    The energy recorded went up with the silencer attached. I think I have it figured out.
    Just as you concluded the bb is still accelarating as it leaves the barrel. It meets resistance, wind, loss of air cussion whatever, and begins to slow. With the silencer attached it spends more time in an enclosed, still space and the loss of acceleration effect is lessened.
    Many chronies don't allow you to shoot through them and require you to affix them to the end of the barrel. And as the measure velocity and don't take into account acceleration this means that what is under the joule inside the chronograph chamber may be over 10cm the other side......
    I'm sure you'd nee rather percise equipment to measure that, but it is my theory anyhoo

Using GBBs probably isn't the best idea. Each shot dosn't get exactly the same volume of gas, it's inconsistant enough to throw out the test if you are going to such low tollerances.
    You know, the seals cool down, the preassure in the mag drops. Reduces the explosive power of the gas.

Maybe you could try again with the P90 and get a spread of results across two or three tests, rather than testing two or three different technologies.

Anyway, on an interesting side note. I found a problem with some of the chronographs.
    The energy recorded went up with the silencer attached. I think I have it figured out.Just as you concluded the bb is still accelarating as it leaves the barrel. It meets resistance, wind, loss of air cussion whatever, and begins to slow. With the silencer attached it spends more time in an enclosed, still space and the loss of acceleration effect is lessened.
    Many chronies don't allow you to shoot through them and require you to affix them to the end of the barrel. And as the measure velocity and don't take into account acceleration this means that what is under the joule inside the chronograph chamber may be over 10cm the other side......
    I'm sure you'd nee rather percise equipment to measure that, but it is my theory anyhoo

Did a few tests ith my g-spes today and concluded that with the silencer off you get greater accuracy and range. So which is more important, accuracy or concealment?

true, shot to shot it does vary, but even though I only published the power results from 5 shots, I recorded readings for about 10, disregarding the highest and lowest values from the string and taking the median 5 shots.
    As regards cool down, shots were taken approx 10 seconds apart, which should be plenty of time to prevent rapid cool down of the mag.

The results are also repeatable across different pistols, so I'm reasonably satisfied it's not an anomaly.

Having said that, I do agree with you, GBBs might not be the best test, so I'll hopefully be getting a mp5k to test it since it has a short barrel and also should have a fairly consistent power output from the gearbox.

The problem with testing using the p90 is that a short barrel is required for the different weights to have any effect, the relatively long p90 barrel allows ample time for any weight BB to achieve maximum velocity as it leaves the barrel.

The energy recorded went up with the silencer attached. I think I have it figured out.
    Just as you concluded the bb is still accelarating as it leaves the barrel. It meets resistance, wind, loss of air cussion whatever, and begins to slow. With the silencer attached it spends more time in an enclosed, still space and the loss of acceleration effect is lessened.

That's interesting alright, I found that the silencer actually reduced power output.... I'll have to do more tests on that too :)

• Advertisement

Did a few tests ith my g-spes today and concluded that with the silencer off you get greater accuracy and range. So which is more important, accuracy or concealment?

yup, i've heard this before, the material inside the silencer disturbs the airflow around the bb a fair bit apparently

Advertisement