Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Man Utd. the best team in the world atm?

• 01-04-2008 10:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I know I know, a very controversial thread title.

Anyhow, imo right now (as much as it pains me to say as im a Liverpool fan) Utd are the best team in the world. 15 goals conceded in the league, 5 conceded in the CL. drubbing liverpool, arsenal, villa, newcastle (scored 11 goals against them over 2 games). breezing through to the semi's of the CL (well, almost). they have the worlds best player atm (ronaldo) a fantastic work ethic, playing brilliant football and the most solid defence in the world. they've scored 68 goals so far in the league (thats more then the current leaders in seira a and la liga) and there is quite literally no team in the world they fear (maybe man citeh :p )

as for who else is better then them - we have Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Chelski and maybe (but not really) Arsenal.
    Barca atm are the only team that I think have the potential to be better but they havent had the best season so far. next season though (if they sort their defence) they would be well up for it.

I cant really see Real, Inter and Chelski being better then them and if god came down to me and said "Who is the best football team in the world??!!!" id have to say Utd. I just cant justify saying anyone else atm.

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

well if they win the CL you might be justified in saying so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

don't know - i a psimist so i still look at us as very unproven. If we win the CL and the league then yes - until then we are just a very good side.

Also, if we are to consider ourselves the best side in the world we need to play like it - ie./ play OUR game and make the opposition change to suit us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

We could still win nothing....

I have to agree. i know a lot of people wont coss they just hate United but atm based on the fact that they are a complete team and about the only complete team I can think of in Europe that alone makes them the current best.

However all that is a load of bollox if they dont go on to win it. Potential is one thing, realising it is another so I will catagorically say "YES" if and only if they go on to prove it by winning competitions. For example if they win NEITHER the Premiership or the CL then they cant be considered the best can they?

That said, everyone esle is in the same position, u have to win to be the best and nobody else has won anything either so effectively what we're talking about here is who's the best team on paper, and imo, right now, thats United.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    Also, if we are to consider ourselves the best side in the world we need to play like it - ie./ play OUR game and make the opposition change to suit us.

No. The best teams are flexible. If all we ever did was play our game and not worry about the others then United would effectively be one dimensional. The fact that they won tonight by mopping up pressure and hitting Roma on the break shows that they are versatile and more than just an attacking side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

This thread was entirely predictable after tonight where they did impress. however they were saying the same after Roma last year too, and remember what happened next in Milan? Let them win things before we go too crazy in out praise!

Yours sincerely bitter Villa fan.

P.S., i heard again in the press this week this notion that Totti isnt as respected as he should be across Europe, and then vague reasons for like not playing well in big games, well here's his chance, Roma are 2-0 down, if he gets fit delivers an amazing game and takes Roma through then he will be a legend, will it happen even if he does play? probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

You need to read the title of thread again.

Yes for me....

You need to read the title of thread again.

Yes for me....

ugh, it was implied from the title...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

thats the thing tho, you cant have won anything at this stage of the season. unless ur spurs :p
    Im saying how right now they are the best... as in its in their hands to lose the CL & PL.

as for the imposing the game stuff, i disagree
    I think the best teams adapt to beat any team regardless of what formation they play. Utd's best imo is a 442 but this doesnt work for every match, thankfully they have such quality players that the can jink their formation to suit and still leave £18m signing Hargreaves on the bench! that sort of depth is amazing. In todays game depth counts for far more then it did in say the mid 90's

and if they arent the best and im wrong.... tell me then, what team is better and for what reasons? for them not to be the best, there has to be one better. who are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Playing the best football right now, no doubt about it. Will mean nothing though if we win nothing.

You said if the win the Champions League. The title said the ATM :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The exact same talk was being bandied about after they hammered Roma last year, only for them to be played off the pitch by Milan. This is a typical overreaction that happens over and over again and is reminiscent of the ridiculous talk about Ronaldo being the best player in the world (hes not even the best player at United).

Bear in mind I'm saying this as a United fan and if they win the Champions League, then yes they can legitimately call themselves the world's best. In the meantime premature hyperbole only sets us up for a fall in the many difficult games to come.

You said if the win the Champions League. The title said the ATM :p

ugh, I hate pedants like you, mainly cos you remind me of me! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bear in mind I'm saying this as a United fan and if they win the Champions League, then yes they can legitimately call themselves the world's best.

whos better then them at the minute and why ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Lies Lies Lies. The only difference between Roma and UTD is luck, and a true goalscorer.

:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lies Lies Lies. The only difference between Roma and UTD is luck, and a true goalscorer.

:(:(:(

Its Roma's fault they never invited you to trials...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jazzy wrote: »
    whos better then them at the minute and why ??

Its a pointless argument at this stage of the season. A few short weeks ago Arsenal looked like the best side in the world, then their form dropped.

The only true indicator of greatness is seeing things through and winning trophies, nothing is won or should be judged in March.

United are flying at the moment and look strong in every department. But what if Vidic is now out for the season, that could be the difference between wining the Champions League or not, lets just leave it at that for now and see what the season's end brings.

Archimedes wrote: »
    Its Roma's fault they never invited you to trials...

Arch(imedes) was never much of a poacher, the best I ever got in a season was at tops 10. I could pass the ball better than ****ing most of them tonight though, hell (insert boards worst player or Des) could pass the ball better than most of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think they are, i'm never been more carefree while watching them, i don't care who they are playing we can beat them all. Fear no one. Go out and play the game and they ave the players to win. All this will mean nothing, they need to continue it in the league at the wknd and beat boro. I expect nothing from Roma in the return leg. Hopefully a professional performance and bring on the semi's. Again i ond't mind who we play. To be the best you have to beat the rest.

It's always been good to be a red for me. I've followed them for about 20 years. This is the best team and football i've seen. For that reason alone i want them to win the league and CL this year.

Bring on the next game.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    A few short weeks ago Arsenal looked like the best side in the world, then their form dropped.

As a Manu fan i do think that Manu have being the best team all season from and played someone of best football including Arsenal. I know a few liverpool/Arsenal fans etc who also have agreed but they wouldn't say it in public :rolleyes:

I dont think we can really judge Manu until the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

LMAO at people saying the CL is 'theirs to lose now'.

They do have perhaps the best squad in the world at the moment and it's a squad for the future too but that means little when it's 11 v 11 in the knockout stages.

I'm not knocking them, just saying that whether they win the champions league or not, it doesn't really mean that they're the best team in the world. Look at liverpool vrs milan in last years final. Mediocre league teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

If they beat Barca, yes..

United Vs Barca is an awesome prospect, Barca will give them a game no doubt..

Henry, Bojan, Eto'o, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi ( if he's fit) will take some stopping in form or not...

Sqaull20 wrote: »

Henry, Bojan, Eto'o, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi ( if he's fit) will take some stopping in form or not...

It will be a cracker.

So will Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes, Anderson etc

Thats why its such a mouth watering prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

AC Milan are the best team in the World until May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

As a United fan ,no they are not the best team in the World.
    Their away form in Europe over the last few years has been appalling bar a few results.
    They look suspect away from home against good sides and a full strength Barca side could burst their bubble at the Nou Camp.
    RTE are over the top tonight in their reactions.
    Rooney has had 2 good performances after months of mediocrity and he is being heralded as a God.Silly silly talk.

indeed - the prospect of Brown coming up against any of them scares the crap out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Tauren wrote: »
    indeed - the prospect of Brown coming up against any of them scares the crap out of me.

lol good point..

How long is Vidic out for?

Last time yee missed one of Ferdinand/Vidic yee were slaughtered by Kaka...

lol good point..

How long is Vidic out for?

Last time yee missed one of Ferdinand/Vidic yee were slaughtered by Kaka...

In fairness - Our defence for the Milan game was something like Fletcher, Henize, Silvestre, Evra... Evra the only first choice in his position. So it wasn't JUST that we were missing Vidic. Our midfield was down at the time too. Still, i'd want Vidic lining out against Barcelona should the match happen - we'd need a full strength side bang on form to get past them imo; Messi and Eto'o in particular scare the life out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

gosplan wrote: »
    LMAO at people saying the CL is 'theirs to lose now'.

They do have perhaps the best squad in the world at the moment and it's a squad for the future too but that means little when it's 11 v 11 in the knockout stages.

I'm not knocking them, just saying that whether they win the champions league or not, it doesn't really mean that they're the best team in the world. Look at liverpool vrs milan in last years final. Mediocre league teams.

Yeah good points there. While it's a huge trophy to win you could still be knocked out and yet be the better team ie. luck on the night, one really bad decision by the officials etc.. In saying all that you can look at it this way. Of the 4 English clubs that entered the competition they all still remain and only one can definately be knocked out which could take 3 into the semi's. Right now Manchester United are looking good and we know either Arsenal or Liverpool will (barring a catastophe in OT) will join them. So basically what i'm saying is the English clubs are the most dominant in Europe and Manchester United are the most Dominant in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah but Milan won the World Club Championships and so are the best in teh world by that measure.

AS for the thread - probably yes. Don't see enough world football to judge it but they are certainly the best (right now) in the English-speaking world.

As for winning stuff, while they'll probably win a double, they would still be the best IMO if they won nothing. I'd always say NZ are the best rugby team in the world, even if they bottle it in the world cup. At least as a Pol fan that's one thing I don't have to worry about, bottlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

No.

So will Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo, Scholes, Anderson etc

Thats why its such a mouth watering prospect.

On current form Anderson won't, and Tevez will be on the bench for most of the 2 matches. Rooney also can't finish for crap so unless he is gifted a chance even i could stick away he isn't going to trouble Valdes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

speaking as a Liverpool fan,I think they are the best team in europe.They are probably the only team in the premier league bar maybe chelski that wont need to strengthen in the summer.They have amased a great first 11 and a great squad.their strength in depth in class and While teams like Liverpool need to build more and need more quality players,Arsenal waiting for youngsters to mature and improve,utd dont.
    They are imo at the moment the best team as they are complete,they need nothing whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

All I will say is, I am very proud to be a Manchester United supporter atm, and I believe we are one the best teams in the world certainly, the very best? Thats debateable, but I think we are :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

deisedevil wrote: »
    Playing the best football right now, no doubt about it. Will mean nothing though if we win nothing.
    I agree with that, 100%. Trophies are everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Rooney has had 2 good performances after months of mediocrity

:eek:

Watch football much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it depends what you mean. In terms of ability? probably not, i think at times this season Arsenal have shown they are at least equal with united on this. In terms of mentality? no, United have bottled it too much in previous seasons. They won against Lyon but they didn't seem in the right frame of mind to be considered world beaters. even though they've been poor this season i still think Milan are the masters at this, their approach in the what i've seen in the CL at least has always been impeccable... in terms of consistency? at the moment based on the past two seasons i guess they win this hands down.

these are just three aspects needed in a world class team that i can think of at the moment. i'm sure there's fecktons more i'm forgetting. basically no team has done enough recently to allow anyone to consider them the worlds best, United, Arsenal, Barca, Real, Milan, Inter (again jus off the top of me head) all have fundamental weaknesses that prevent anyone from pipping it in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Jazzy wrote: »
    Barca atm are the only team that I think have the potential to be better but they havent had the best season so far.

It pains me to say as a Barcelona fan I dont think they even come close to how good united have been. Maybe when their attack is at full strength it beats uniteds, but their defense is just too good. Definitely the best team in the world atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Probably...but a hell of a lot of once great teams are under performing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rooney has performed all season, its just he hasn't got gpals? Is there a striker I'd prefer in the world? Nope.

Scholes said it in an interview tonight, 'right now they are a good team. If we win the trophies we are in, we'll be a great team.'
    IMO right now, they are the best team in the world. But 1month ago, Arsenal were, 4 months ago, Real were.... The final decider is at the end of the season.
    If we win one trophy (Premiership or CL) then we are a good team. Last year we were a good team. Two years before, Liverpool were a good team. Winning one trophy is not enough.
    If we win both trophies, then we'll be a great team.
    Do I think we can win both trophies? Well since I'm drunk, and the gods of karma don't punish you when you're drunk, I think we'll win the premiership, and the CL will be decided on the United Barca game. I think we'll beat Barca and win the CL this year. I think the player of the tourament will be Ferdinand, but he's a defender, won't get the plaudits, and the winner will be Ronaldo. Ronaldo will have a **** game in the final, but will pop up with the winning goal. The debate will go on about whether or not he's a great player :P

Nonetheless, I'm a happy United fan right now, I couldn't ask for more. We're in a great position in the league, and we're in a great position in the CL, although I'd rather be on the other side of the draw. It's in our hands now, the team just has to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

They lost twice to City. Any team that does that is not the best in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll reserve judgement til we find out if we actually win anything this year.....

I'm very apprehensive about the probable Barce match, especially with Vida after getting injured today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Manchester United are as much the best team in the world right now as Arsenal were before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I think the word 'team' is very important here. What you seen tonight was very much a handbrake performance.

Utd had the horsepower in ronaldo and rooney, tevez etc... but they had the discipline and maturity to realise that at this level, you cannot take massive risks.

It's like a ferrari ticking along at 80 km/hr behind a dawdler in a 100km/hr zone coming up to a series of dangerous bends. On paper and in reality the ferrari might have the power to nip ahead and back in without any danger, but the driver deems it too risky as he doesn't really know what's ahead.

That's exactly what's happening in europe. In the league, it's boot to the floor as it's not as risky.

Ronaldo and Vidic won the league for Utd last year imo. This season, Ferdinand, Evra, Ronaldo and Rooney stand out for me.

Man for man, Utd are the best side in the world at the minute.

They probably have 3 of the best defenders in the world - you wouldn't swap Evra, Vidic or Ferdinand for many.

In midfield, there's Ronaldo and up front Rooney.

I doubt many people would swap any of those 5. They've all been together now for 2 or 3 years so we're starting to see it all gel together nicely.

d22ontour wrote: »
    :eek:

Watch football much ?

Yes.Plenty.
    Rooney has been very hit and miss this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Yes.Plenty.
    Rooney has been very hit and miss this season.

I disagree, he's sacraficing himself for the team.

In order for Ronaldo or Evra to roam free, they need cover and Rooney provides that, usually on the left flank.

Take Rooney out of the side and you lose the communication down the left.

It's a bit like Beckham/Neville partnership in the 90's. Without one, the other doesn't function properly.

Rooney also sets a great example up front and together with Tevez, they must be a defenders nightmare as not only can they play football, but they're not afraid to throw themselves about plus they can tackle too.

smemon wrote: »
    I disagree, he's sacraficing himself for the team.

In order for Ronaldo or Evra to roam free, they need cover and Rooney provides that, usually on the left flank.
    It shouldnt be part of his role to play left back.Its a waste of his attacking abilities especially with only one striker on the pitch like tonight.
    One of the holding midfielders should fill in on the left if needed.

Rooney often plays in too deep a role and he is not a natural goalscorer.
    How much better would United be if they had bought an out and out striker in January to play alongside Rooney or Tevez ?

Do not forget Rooney just came off a six game goal drought .
    He played well tonight and against Villa at the weekend where he had alot of space .
    However 2 games dont make a great season .
    He has had an average season and the guff RTE were spouting tonight was bull.

• Advertisement
Advertisement