Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaeilge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MarkOShea

Conspoídeach!

Controversial!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I agree with Captain Negative that requiring bilingual posting is an absolutely unnecessary burden. I've no desire to write out everything twice since by posting in Irish I'm inviting replies back in the same language. If you're really interested in what I have to say then I suggest you pick up a dictionary or if there is word or phrase you can't figure out then try asking 'Cad is brí le...?" (What is the meaning of ...?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Grimes wrote: »
    1) irish may be the first language but its not spoken by international or many irish students

Whatever about students from Ireland I sincerely doubt that international students would support the suppression of our indigenous language for their sake.
    2) request a UCD Irish subform (good luck:D)

No need for this - Irish and English can live side by side.
    3) there is an irish forum on boards
    Those who wish to discuss UCD issues come here and not to After Hours
    4) posting in irish dosnt promote the language to non-irish speakers, we get it , you speak it
    Posting in Irish demonstrates that it is a living language which is open to everyone to learn and take part in.
    5) many many MANY references to a concert promoter in Russian (not really but you get the point)
    You've got me on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If taken in context, that was from the argument for the creation of the Irish Forum. Which was then given mods who are fluent Irish speakers, and therefore able to be moderated. The_Minister and I are not fluent irish speakers. I'm closing this discussion, if you wish to take this any further, then go to either:

Feedback, where all users of boards.ie can reply to your complaint, or

Helpdesk, where only Administrators and Super Moderators can reply to your complaint

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement