Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualified with ACCA in 2001 - but no experience as of yet!

• 01-04-2008 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi,

I Qualified with ACCA in 2001 but have actually never worked in an Accountants practice or Accounts position in any company. All my experience has been in retail management. I have decided to get back into accountancy but don't know were to start to get the experience i need.

I have worked for several companies over thel ast few years and do not want to come across as a job hopper!!! I have lined up a few interviews with Accountancy practices over the next few weeks - what are looking for - how could my retail experience benefit me when tryng to get the job. In short what characteristics are they looking for in an individual.

What kind of salary would someone get with the exams got but no experience.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 hurricane147

Accountants end up managing people, in my experience that's much harder than the technical spects of the job. Therefore you should emphasise how your experience in retail management (motivating staff, dealing with poor performers, training etc) would benefit you and your employer. No doubt you had to deal with difficult customers, irate suppliers, that's all valuable experience. Point out the wide business exposure you gained. You should expect questions about the retail sector so make sure you know the normal %s, margins, KPIs, etc. No clue on salary levels - you could ring an agency. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Mickdogg

Thanks for those ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AA&A

A good way to get going and keep your salary may be to work part-time with a practice and gain some experience.

Kind Regards
    AA&A

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Accountant

Starting Salary is probably 18k-20k with no experience, but can rise quickly depending on ability.

Advertisement