Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O`Neill and Jennings call for All Ireland team

• 01-04-2008 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7324995.stm

Opinions?

If it were to be the same set up as rugby with all the shying away from the anthem and the flag of the republic Im damn opposed tbh, makes the national team into just another club. Id accept it for testimonials, charity matches, that kind of set up, but not sure about competitive or even general friendlies.

Anyway, would FIFA allow two technically seperate countries to play as one? I doubt it/hope not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-FIFA_Football

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

completely disagree,their is a division in class in those who generally support Rugby and Football.The northern Team is extremely unionist,issueing death threats to players like neil lennon who expresed a desire to play for the republic or a 32 county team,they frequently wave England flags etc and chant sectarian abuse,something you do not see with the republic team.

It will never happen,the people in the north who follow rugby are usually middle to upper class,who realised that to get anywhere in rugby ,they needed to join forces.Southerners werent to complain as the north had some good players.

Look at the problems now,people inc myself saying Irelands call should be banned in rugby and and split up the team if neccesary,The Irish team seems to no longers have an identity.That is affecting the success.

Success has bred the new fan up north,who was never interested in rugby to start with but now feels they should get involved with some Northerners calling for god save the queen to be played.Even though in reality they couldnt give a toss about the rugby and its turning into a polotics issue.

Its a terrible idea that I hope will never come to fruition,I can just see it now.Fans who are suppost to be supporting the same team fighting and sectarian chanting.

Just because one idea work in rugby the same cannot be applied to football unfortunately it is just down to class and education,unfortunate and small minded as that sounds,its very true and a sad reality.

As a rugby and football fan,i think it has worked well for rugby but speaking as someone living in the republic,the north would benefit alot more than we would from a 32 county team and imo its not worth the controversie and hassle that will arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dc69 wrote: »
    The Irish team seems to no longers have an identity.That is affecting the success.

Maybe the team might have peaked, they thrashed a very poor England team which was obvious yet the team was hyped up for the wc. So would not agreee with the above statement.

As to the op, it just won't happen. Also can't see who in NI team would get into ROI team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Look at the problems now,people inc myself saying Irelands call should be banned in rugby and and split up the team if neccesary,The Irish team seems to no longers have an identity.

Indeed. Its one reason why I cant get behind the Irish team.

And oh yeah, rugger is shockingly boring. I attempted the fair weatherism everyone else adopted around March last year when Croker opened and watched a game against France I think, but jaysus.....meh. And there is just something not right about

a- The joint Lions tours

and

b- How people can have such a love of the clash between Ireland and England in rugby when we arent even allowed to play our anthem is baffling tbh.

Im not even any mad republican, I like to see England get beaten in footie because of the hype, the `ooligans, 1966 yaddda yadda yadda. Sticks out even more than the oul 800 years on the checklist tbh. An all Ireland squad is only a good idea if its played by our rules, quite frankly. And tbh I dont think it is called for until the country is reunited.

OpenRoad- in an All Ireland team Id gladly swap Healy for Keane. Gillespie would also get regular subs Id think.

Of course, his club record is rather average, and maybe so too would his national record in a team he was only half arsed being part of.

Despite all this, I suppose the whole Gibson thing shows the two sides really dont get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Wouldn't mind David Healy though
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Great idea, but matches should be played in Dublin, with the Irish Anthem, Irish flag, Irish everything. No little attempt at compromising. Its our way or the highway.

It makes no sense to me, how the hell Ireland is not just Ireland(I'm not a IRA fanboy, or interested in politics really) It was Ireland until a foreign country strolled in an annexed the North. Tough that the people are the ''descandants of English people.'' If they feel so British get the hell out!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not Britian!!

George McCartney at Left back.

Healy up front with Keane.

Maby Johnny Evans pushing into the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I would be careful with this thread as it could turn into a Soccer/Rugby debate which shouldnt happen and thus i am refraining from repling to coments about the supposed problems with rugby and it being "boring" as this is the soccer board not the rugby board and im sure that people who are solely Rugby fans also find Soccer just as boring 0-0 games ffs etc..

This wont happen so wether we would like David healy or whoever it doesent matter Sectarianism and the people who follow/run the sport in this country among other reasons wouldent let it, the whole Gibson saga is a glaring example of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

*sigh*

OK, I'll let this thread live so long as people remain posting about soccer, don't start a Rugby Vs. Soccer debate and approach the thread in a mature and sensible way.

At the moment, I'm not seeing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Martin O' Neill, focus on that tricky right back question and sheen some respectability from Villas remaining games, nevermind fantasy all Ireland teams, Villa have already had a manager with Ireland job delusions.

An all Ireland team will have to make concessions to the Unionist side Estebancambias like they do in Rugby, unlike in Rugby, would an All-Ireland team qualify for a major tournament? freak achievements like David Healy aside (he is like a reverse Robbie Keane, crap for Club, amazing for country!:D)would a unified team beat Italy & Bulgaria?

Tough that the people are the ''descandants of English people.''

English people:confused: History was not one of my stronger subjects but I thought they were descended from the Scots ;)

OPENROAD wrote: »
    English people:confused: History was not one of my stronger subjects but I thought they were descended from the Scots ;)

LOL
    . Tough that the people are the ''descandants of English people.'' If they feel so British get the hell out!!!!!!!!!!!! Its not Britian!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland

I dont want to bring polotics into this but it really has a bearing on how this would go,I dont think it would be a success and would result in disaster.I suggest you do some reading.your comments are hilarious but also very ignorant.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

As Dr. Paisley himself said

'Never, never, never'

Strangley enough History was among my strongest subjects(with Physics and Geography *cough*) however I hated the plantations. 'Beyond the Pale' is all I remember.

However aren't the Scots descended from the Irish? Thank God for the Giants causeway!!!!

Strangley enough History was among my strongest subjects(with Physics and Geography *cough*) QUOTE]

History, Physics and Geography :eek: sounds like hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Didn't FIFA rule on an issue surrounding an underage player from Norn Iron who wanted to play for the Republic? (Darren Gibson?)

As long as the player holds a passport and has not been capped at senior level, they're selectable. So, my view, let those in the North who want to play for the Republic do so, and let those who don't, play for Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Personally I think we should just continue our policy of poaching their best players. That way we'll have a "united Ireland" team by default and better still won't ever have to go up to that kip Belfast for games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Has to happen. Wonderful idea, not that it's a new one. The only thing stopping it is the cavemen on both sides who can't see past tricolours and union jacks.

Most modern Irishmen and Irishwomen would be proud to support an Ireland team, regardless of whatever emblems fly above the stadium or whatever ditty the band twiddles for the President/Queen.

Maybe the rugby crowd can do it because they know their history better. Certainly seems to be the case going by this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

SectionF wrote: »
    Has to happen. Wonderful idea, not that it's a new one. The only thing stopping it is the cavemen on both sides who can't see past tricolours and union jacks.

Most modern Irishmen and Irishwomen would be proud to support an Ireland team, regardless of whatever emblems fly above the stadium or whatever ditty the band twiddles for the President/Queen.

Maybe the rugby crowd can do it because they know their history better. Certainly seems to be the case going by this thread!

For once I'm in total agreement with Section F.

Bravo.

SectionF wrote: »

yes but its not that simple.football and rugby in Ireland was never sectarian but in the north both were albeit rugby wasnt a patch on football.Has anyone ever watched a northern Ireland match?

all you see is England flags,they are extremely sectarian.They dont represent the north of Ireland as a whole(ie both catholics and protestants)they represent the unionists of the north.

example

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055267293
    Pigman II wrote: »
    Personally I think we should just continue our policy of poaching their best players. That way we'll have a "united Ireland" team by default and better still won't ever have to go up to that kip Belfast for games.

explain how we poach there best players?

Darren gibson is obviously from a rebublican mindset and wanted to play for the republic which he felt was his country,alot of northern players consider the north to be part of Britain.We dont poach their players,if they want to play for Ireland they do,Most of them want to play for the north.If they were given a choice they would continue to play for the north.

all you see is England flags

Please tell me you're not mistaking this for an English flag?

nope a st georges cross,they usually write slogans on them.

the northern ireland flag is just a basterdised version of an england flag anyway,people who consider themselves Irish in the north would not be seem at the all unionist attended northern ireland matches imo.I am not from the north,im just going by what I have seen on tv and in the media and also one of my friends fathers is from derry and has told us about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/aug/22/football.northernireland

• Advertisement

nope a st georges cross,they usually write slogans on them.

Pics or video please.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LYLaHMuyUeo

3mins 40secs into that you can see quite a few Ulster Banners.
    the northern ireland flag is just a basterdised version of an england flag anyway

It's based on the St.George's Cross and the historical Flag of Ulster (red cross on a yellow background with the red hand badge in the middle)

Around the same time a bunch of idiots were booing a random Danish player they thought was Peter Lovenkrands at Landsdowne Road. Its a long time ago, a lot has changed since then (as I've been told by a number of Northern Irish fans on a Spurs message board I use)

Loads of pictures here of Norn Iron flags.

Time to let go of the old animosities...on both sides.

Pics or video please.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LYLaHMuyUeo

3mins 40secs into that you can see quite a few Ulster Banners.

It's based on the St.George's Cross and the historical Flag of Ulster (red cross on a yellow background with the red hand badge in the middle)

Around the same time a bunch of idiots were booing a random Danish player they thought was Peter Lovenkrands at Landsdowne Road. Its a long time ago, a lot has changed since then (as I've been told by a number of Northern Irish fans on a Spurs message board I use)

how the hell am i gona find a video on youtube.watch a northen ireland match the next time their playing and watch for urself.I dont want to get into polotics on this thread so il leave it with

the northern team is very sectarian due to having both catholics and protestants eligible for them.We the republic are not sectarian with our football imo.

It is a terrible idea ,it would result in madness and i hope it never happens.

how the hell am i gona find a video on youtube.watch a northen ireland match the next time their playing and watch for urself.I dont want to get into polotics on this thread so il leave it with

You could try looking, I managed it.

You could try looking, I managed it.

its very easy to find one,where they are flying their national flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Before you even consider doing it, I think the FAI and IFA should combine their leagues.
    The Setanta Cup has already proven to be a succuss.
    It's been done before, Wales and England have teams in the same league.

So maybe within 3-5 years, combine the leagues and then another 3-5 years after that you can start to look at combining the international teams.

all you see is England flags

Your words, not mine.

micmclo wrote: »
    Before you even consider doing it, I think the FAI and IFA should combine their leagues.

Agreed, best for teams on both sides of the border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

An All-Ireland football team makes as much sense as an All-Glasgow All-Liverpool team or a All-Manchester team. You can't just combine two sets of supporters, teams and traditions on a whim. The real question is do the fans, who are the lifeblood of football want it, and the overwhelming answer is no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

It's been done before, Wales and England have teams in the same league.

So maybe within 3-5 years, combine the leagues and then another 3-5 years after that you can start to look at combining the international teams.

Well thats because there was no welsh league until recently
    Im in favor of an all Ireland league but the england wales example is not suitable.
    Also a lot of work would have to be done by teams on both sides to root out the idiot element
    We the republic are not sectarian with our football imo.

Bollox
    People are just as stupid and sectarian down south as they are up in northieland

Im not overly against an all Ireland team(as long as nobody gets phill coulter to write another Irelands call) but I doubt it will happen soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well thats because there was no welsh league until recently
    Im in favor of an all Ireland league but the england wales example is not suitable.

Fair enough, there are better examples, only one I could think of at the time.
    I'd imagine Liechenstein have a team playing league football in a neighbouring country too but I'm far too lazy to look that up

I wonder will posters on boards stop posting about the English Premier League if Cardiff ever get promoted? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would like to see an all-Ireland team as I think it would be good for relations in the island and it would strengthen our chances for qualification if we pooled our resources together.

We have all-Ireland teams in rugby, cricket and plenty of other sports so I think football should follow suit. Maybe we could get really lucky and have the FAI be done away with also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fair enough, there are better examples, only one I could think of at the time.
    I'd imagine Liechenstein have a team playing league football in a neighbouring country too but I'm far too lazy to look that up
    What has that to do with it?
    I wonder will posters on boards stop posting about the English Premier League if Cardiff ever get promoted? ;)
    It IS the EPL.

There is also a Welsh Premier, which was formed in 1992, as part of the LoW.

Six teams decided not to join up, and remained part of the English Football Pyramid. (Cardiff, Swansea, Wrecsam, plus another three who I can't remember now).

DesF wrote: »

It IS the EPL.

Shouldn't it be BPL?

Shouldn't it be BPL?
    Why?

It's the SPL in Scotland, but aren't there teams from just south of the Border in it?

It's the Welsh Premier League in Wales.

So, the EPL in England.

The fact is that the three clubs are from Wales, but play in the English Football Pyramid, on top of which is the English Premier League.

What a stupid argument anyway.

I'm right, the rest of you are wrong.

There, that's the end of it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Id have no problem with it, but there is a big sectarian divide in soccer, that i dont think is as bad in Rugby, yes i know that there a rugby teams that are predominently of one religion or other, but i dont think "death threats" have ever been part of the game, like it sadly seems to be up the north.

The fact is that both O Neill and Jennings are Catholics and prob more in favour of it than the protestant - Loyalist community whos wishes need to be respected to.

You beat me to it;)

You beat me to it;)

no im not,im all to aware of what a st georges cross looks like:)

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »
    Id have no problem with it, but there is a big sectarian divide in soccer, that i dont think is as bad in Rugby, yes i know that there a rugby teams that are predominently of one religion or other, but i dont think "death threats" have ever been part of the game, like it sadly seems to be up the north.

The fact is that both O Neill and Jennings are Catholics and prob more in favour of it than the protestant - Loyalist community whos wishes need to be respected to.

Yep, their secterian wishes have to be respected.:rolleyes:

Yep, their secterian wishes have to be respected.:rolleyes:

just because they are protestant and unionists does not mean they are sectarian but I do believe they would be extremely anti an all Ireland team as I am.

Just ask yourself this. Do you want half/all our home qualifiers played out of Belfast. If you do then great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just ask yourself this. Do you want half/all our home qualifiers played out of Belfast. If you do then great.

Why would that be the case? How many Six Nations matches are played in Belfast?

Maybe if soccer was treated in an all-Ireland capacity we might be able to host (albeit jointly) a tournament one day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

not ready for it just yet, i think let the country re-unite and then let the soccer follow, its just a far more contoversial situation than it is in rugby. i reckon just let players from the North declare for the Republic for now

anyway as far as im concerned only healy and johnny evans would get in the XI in my opinion, say,

1.Given
    2.Kelly / Finnan if he returns
    3.O'Shea
    4.Evans
    5.Dunne
    6.S. Reid
    7.McGeady
    8.Ireland
    9.Healy
    10.Keane
    11.Duff

ok i just threw that XI together but i can't think of anybody else from the North getting in there. and if i was given the choice to swap Keane for Healy I wouldn't.

No matter how many goals he's got I'd stil rather Keane and Doyle to Healy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

just because they are protestant and unionists does not mean they are sectarian

Well said. Seems to be a feeling down south that anyone who isn't catholic and a sinn fein follower is sectarian. Thing is the largest sectarian organisation in the country has been followed and supported by most of the south for years so its a bit rich all the GAA fans slamming people from the north as sectarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I'd have absolutely no difficulty with some of the games being played in Belfast, given the right standard of stadium. In fact, it'd be weird if they weren't.

Bear in mind that we are in a supposedly sports-mad country that is so disorganized or dysfunctional in terms of division and bigotry - take your pick - that we currently are looking at playing internationals in Cardiff.

Advertisement