Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brush or Sponge to wash cars

Options
  • 01-04-2008 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭

First I wet the car thoroughly.

Then I use a car-wash brush dipped in sudsy (car shampoo) water to wash my cars because I suspect that a sponge will trap partcles of grit and grind them into the paint.

I start with the roof and rinse that off before starting on the next area, working downwards.

Unfortunately in bright sunlight I can still see fine marks in the paintwork that take effort to polish out.

Would a sponge be better? I'm afraid it will make things worse.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Neither.

A wash mitt is the way to go. You're damaging your paint with a brush and/or a sponge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭blackbox

Separate,

is the wash mitt a lambswool gadget?

How does grit not get trapped in/under it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

It does get trapped in it. The depth of pile prevents it making contact with your paintwork, though. Then you use a second bucket of water to rinse it out. That way your first bucket and your mitt are always clean.

(Then if you're like me you can throw the dirty bucket over the wife's Volvo; "Did you wash mine too - ahh thanks." Chance of jiggy-action to follow!) ;)

blackbox wrote: »
    Separate,

is the wash mitt a lambswool gadget?

How does grit not get trapped in/under it?

As CJT156 said...two buckets. You could use these as extra insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

This yoke is what you want

• Advertisement

OK - nobody seems to have an opinion apart from using a mitt.

Looks like I'll have to invest in one.

Any problems, I'll let you know.

Thanks folks...

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Brush if it's cold...
    Sponge if the heatin is on and i can get warm water:D Although i much prefer the sponge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

blackbox wrote: »
    OK - nobody seems to have an opinion apart from using a mitt.

Looks like I'll have to invest in one.

Any problems, I'll let you know.

Thanks folks...

:)

Blackbox, watch this and you won't go wrong.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372&q=wash&total=56473&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Mitt, 2 bucket method, good quality chamois. That video is very good though, I want his 2 bucket dolly & grit guard :o:o:o

Gatster wrote: »
    Mitt, 2 bucket method, good quality chamois. That video is very good though, I want his 2 bucket dolly & grit guard :o:o:o

Chamois is similar in principle to a sponge. Use a microfiber waffle weave drying towel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

I use a mitt, two buckets(with pH neutral cleaning solution) and this http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/Store/Product/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=117

I don't use a chamois as it tends to remove your wax and I'm in an extremely hard water area so unless you dry the car very well you will be left with white deposits and thats where the filter comes in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Another vote for the lambswool mitt and 2 buckets...I only use the cheapo halfords car shampoo though.
    I don't use a chamois, have found those water magnet super soaker cloths to be the best for drying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭irish.rugby.fan

Strange everyone keeping knocking the sponge.

Paul Dalton (Miracle Detail), who is widely considered as one of the UKs best car detailers uses one.

Check out his videos on youtube, he was also featured on Fifth Gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

All sponges are not the same. Sea sponges are fine but this one costs 30 quid sterling, so not exactly like the sponge you would buy down in Tescos.

http://www.thepolishingcompany.com/dfseasponge.html

TomMc wrote: »

Excellent instruction video, but a bit long at 28 minutes!

:cool:

Advertisement