Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Short Block

Options
  • 01-04-2008 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how much it would cost to replace the short block in a toyota avensis? Also can anyone explain toyota warranties on oil consumption problem of the avensis 2001 vvti 1.6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik there was an issue with high oil consumption on some early versions of the VVTi engines. 1.4, 1.6 and mostly 1.8 litre were affected. To my knowledge Toyota replaced alot of engine blocks that were experiencing this issue even outside of the normal 3 year warranty. Don't think there was an offical recall on this problem though, well at least not in Ireland anyway.

Not sure what their stance is on the problem these days. Maybe someone like Colm_MCM might be able to shed some light on the subject or even contacting Toyota Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Did you get a toyota dealership todo an oil consumption test on the vehicle. if the engine is using a certain amount of oil they will do it for you. A mate of mine got his done last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

We have a January 02 1.6 VVTi Avensis which we purchased in August 04. It appeared to be very heavy on oil. 3 yr warranty expired in Jan 05. After talking to various people in trade and doing some research on we contacted a Toyota dealer in late 05 and the car had short block replaced - was in garage for a week. Covered by Toyota but they didn't cover a replacement car. I recall being told or reading somewhere that there is a 5yr warranty on the engine. The dealer at the time didn't seem to shocked to hear about it's consumption levels.

It was a serious fault to occur but fair play to Toyota, they took ownership of the issue outside warranty and there was a successful resolution. Car is fine since and not burning any oil. Any other Q's send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Thanks for the replies. I recently read on the internet that the warrenty was extended to seven years or 100000 miles which ever came first, many people had the short block replaced on this extended warranty.

Today, i brought it to a Toyota dealer who rang Toyota and they informed him that the car was out of warranty 1 month, (the car was actually first registered on 6 March 01) His advise to me was to ring Toyota myself, and see what they would would say, because he said to replace the short block myself would cost 3000:eek:

On ringing Toyota myself, I was told that only a 3 year warranty or 60000miles existed, i also asked them about the 7 years and 100000mls and he told me that this didnt exist, but he wasnt prepared to put it into writing, or send me the official policy. He said some were done after the 7 years as a good will gesture (i donno why there is no good will to me!)

So basically the Toyota dealer tells me i'm a month out of warranty, but Toyota themselves tell me 4 years!!

Can anyone tell me if they have had the short block replaced on this warranty of 7 years and does anyone know of an official document, surely they would have an official policy for customers.

Did you buy the car from this dealer? May be worth trying another dealer. Have you any official record - toyota service info or otherwise of this issue occuring before 6th March?

It would be cheaper to continue buying oil than pay 3000 yourself for this. From memory the performance or fuel economy of our car was not effected by the oil burning.

• Advertisement

I'm going to go back to where i bought it,(not toyota dealers) (and Toyota will only allow it to be done by Toyota dealers.)

If no joy from where i bought it, i've contacted the consumer crowd, who say i'm covered under the sale of goods act, i.e if their is a manufactures fault i'm entitled to repair,replace or refund.

(regarding just topping up with oil, they claim burning oil can do damage to the cathalytic converter, apparently its because the piston rings are unpure and the metal causes this problem.)

What i really want is proof that toyota have this 7 year warranty, (anyone out there who got this done please stand up!!) which the rep on the phone denied!! But once I persevered that I knew some were done under this 7 year warranty he continued to say that some were done under a "good will gesture"...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd imagine that if it was just a matter of topping up the oil to cure the problem then Toyota would not have replaced all those blocks.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that if it was just a matter of topping up the oil to cure the problem then Toyota would not have replaced all those blocks.

Your right, because if its burning oil it has to be doing damage of some kind.
    The whole issue seems to be all very hush-hush on Toyotas side...

Your right, because if its burning oil it has to be doing damage of some kind.
    The whole issue seems to be all very hush-hush on Toyotas side...

I'm asleep today. That would make sense.

Advertisement