Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regaining some control

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Of all the people to get advice about this topic, reggie is def best qualified.

why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

RoundTower wrote: »
    why is that?

Something to do with this i reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭dagunman

It amuses me the advice that is being given here. Marks looking for advice on how to improve his game and ppl are like get a burd and stop playen.
    What the fuc has gettin a burd got to do with improving your game and bank role mangement, having a burd couldn't be worse for your game imo.
    Then the absolute classic advice comes in and tells him to move up levels. To use a Ronney Dives analogy Mark is a struggling Eircom league of Ireland player and ppl are tellin him he'd be a good Premeiership player. Poker is an easy game to fool yourself into beleiving your better than you are but if you can beat up .5/1 1/2 you would get destroyed at 2/4 etc.

P.S goin on boards lookin for advice on your poker game is like goin in to a pub lookin for advice on given up drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭CaptainNemo

dagunman wrote: »
    It amuses me the advice that is being given here. Marks looking for advice on how to improve his game and ppl are like get a burd and stop playen.

I believe what he asked, exactly, was "I need to get back some sort of control of money and respect for it and would appreciate any advice on how to regain the respect for money and everyday life. Cheers"

You're laughing at the people telling him to take a break, and at the people who are telling him to play more but with proper bankroll management. Do you actually have anything useful to say or do you just prefer waiting for other people to say things then slagging them off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

It amuses me the advice that is being given here. Marks looking for advice on how to improve his game and ppl are like get a burd and stop playen..

What is a burd? Can ginger people have one? How much do they cost? Can anyone have one? Will they make me value money more or less?

To the OP,

I think the best way to regain some sort of respect for money would definitely be to take a break from poker for a while. Everyone that suggested getting back into College/Uni are spot on in their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Create a spreadsheet. Do a P&L on your poker. I have a little girlie s/sheet and in the plus column are my winnings and in the minus column are my donkings.....If my donkins figure come anywhere near my winnings figure I know I'm playing/running badly and either I stop playing OR I reassess what games I'm playing. Also having a P&L makes you respect your progress more and subsequently you money....

Well it works for me.....try it. Don't let Laziness cost you your moneys......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

take up pilaties and start taking vitimin c supplements, also start a new religon and use it to derive incomes that you can offset against your wild erratic spending sprees! if all these fail continue as you are right now and when your old and grey regale your grandchildren with the wild and wonderfull tales of your youth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

I believe what he asked, exactly, was "I need to get back some sort of control of money and respect for it and would appreciate any advice on how to regain the respect for money and everyday life. Cheers"

You're laughing at the people telling him to take a break, and at the people who are telling him to play more but with proper bankroll management. Do you actually have anything useful to say or do you just prefer waiting for other people to say things then slagging them off?

mmmm has the big city changed you ? you would never have let yourself be bothered like this before!

Poker is an easy game to fool yourself into beleiving your better than you are but if you can beat up .5/1 1/2 you would get destroyed at 2/4 etc.

P.S goin on boards lookin for advice on your poker game is like goin in to a pub lookin for advice on given up drink.

Dagunman, it's time. Please, for all our sakes, go to this website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

What the fuc has gettin a burd got to do with improving your game and bank role mangement, having a burd couldn't be worse for your game imo.
    Then the absolute classic advice comes in and tells him to move up levels. To use a Ronney Dives analogy Mark is a struggling Eircom league of Ireland player and ppl are tellin him he'd be a good Premeiership player. Poker is an easy game to fool yourself into beleiving your better than you are but if you can beat up .5/1 1/2 you would get destroyed at 2/4 etc.

move up levels

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭CaptainNemo

sitout wrote: »
    mmmm has the big city changed you ? you would never have let yourself be bothered like this before!

I think it's put me in a permanently bad mood! I miss the Macau... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

If you are thinking about it at your age you are probably going to be fine....!!

Also, it helps to try to look at things from a different perspective. Instead of just living day to day with few responsibilities maybe have a 5 year plan. Give yourself something to aim for, an investment of some sorts. If you are serious about it, you'll start to respect your investment and in turn will gain some more respect for your money, much like you did for Canada but on a larger scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

YULETIRED wrote: »
    Create a spreadsheet. Do a P&L on your poker. I have a little girlie s/sheet and in the plus column are my winnings and in the minus column are my donkings.....If my donkins figure come anywhere near my winnings figure I know I'm playing/running badly and either I stop playing OR I reassess what games I'm playing. Also having a P&L makes you respect your progress more and subsequently you money....

Well it works for me.....try it. Don't let Laziness cost you your moneys......

Whats the world coming to Willie you giving out sound advice with no jokes:) I do the exact same thing and review it monthly to see how i have done and also to spot where i am making the most money from. I have also found since starting the blog it has driven me on to do well and review my swings in further detail. Obvious if the - are more than the + over the long term then bye bye poker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

Hey Mark, Rory here. Poker players by their very nature have less respect for money compared to "normal" people. Most people couldn't justify the amount of money we win and lose. I know exactly how you feel. Their have been many mornings I'v woken up sick at the amount of money I threw away on a drunken session especially when i compare it to the money my student peers spend. I have always brushed it off by saying "oh its all winnings anyway" or "sure I'll win some more tonight". We see money as a series of blinds and bets, not as some sacred comodity that alot of people work very hard for. Money is all relative though and you wouldn't be able to play poker let alone to the standard you play at if you had the utmost respect for a euro.Stu Ungar died without a penny to his name despite being the best no limit player around, he used to say " I'm a great poker player and will never be broke so long as theres a game going". This is true to a certain extent as your skills will always give you a source of income and you'll never feel broke.
    You are a young guy, you have no "real" problems, you have no mortgage or heavy debt. So its all fixable. You have already anwsered the question yourself. When you had something material to work towards, ie. a summer away in Canada you knuckled down and had a definite goal to focus on. What you have to do is find something you desire be it another summer away or a car or whatever it may be and you will no longer see money as a series of coninuation bets or small pots. instead you will stop yourself when buying an extravagent round for friends and say" hold on thats half the ipod I want".
    This has worked for me, I'm going away for the summer and since having that goal Iv been more disciplined with my spending and gone to the bank everyday instead of enjoying the feeling of carrying around a wad of 50's and taken an account of profit and loss and I'v played better too as a result.
    All you have to do is find some material thing you want and work for that. I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭wendelsailor

Hey Mark, Rory here. Poker players by their very nature have less respect for money compared to "normal" people. Most people couldn't justify the amount of money we win and lose. I know exactly how you feel. Their have been many mornings I'v woken up sick at the amount of money I threw away on a drunken session especially when i compare it to the money my student peers spend. I have always brushed it off by saying "oh its all winnings anyway" or "sure I'll win some more tonight". We see money as a series of blinds and bets, not as some sacred comodity that alot of people work very hard for. Money is all relative though and you wouldn't be able to play poker let alone to the standard you play at if you had the utmost respect for a euro.
    You are a young guy, you have no "real" problems, you have no mortgage or heavy debt. So its all fixable. You have already anwsered the question yourself. When you had something material to work towards, ie. a summer away in Canada you knuckled down and had a definite goal to focus on. What you have to do is find something you desire be it another summer away or a car or whatever it may be and you will no longer see money as a series of coninuation bets or small pots. instead you will stop yourself when buying an extravagent round for friends and say" hold on thats half the ipod I want".
    This has worked for me, I'm going away for the summer and since having that goal Iv been more disciplined with my spending and gone to the bank everyday instead of enjoying the feeling of carrying around a wad of 50's and taken an account of profit and loss and I'v played better too as a result.
    All you have to do is find some material thing you want and work for that. I hope that helps.
    CORRECT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Anomaly

Give up the internet Marc. Poker players who are on the Internet have their own views on things. You can be educated and bamboozeled at the same time.

You can come here looking for advice. It is a bit like asking an Alco how best to not be an Alco bar you didn't ask that... you asked how to Value Drink.

Or did you ask how not to be an Alco and you were told how to handle Drink?

The hardest part is putting value on money. You can't really learn that.

take some time out... get a hold of youself... move on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Anomaly wrote: »
    Give up the internet Marc. Poker players who are on the Internet have their own views on things. You can be educated and bamboozeled at the same time.
    You can come here looking for advice. It is a bit like asking an Alco how best to not be an Alco bar you didn't ask that... you asked how to Value Drink.

Eh i dont think he plays the internet judging from previous posts, really stupid and pointless post tbh as outlined above for various reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Anomaly

Eh i dont think he plays the internet judging from previous posts, really stupid and pointless post tbh as outlined above for various reasons

it was not about playing the internet...it was about the advice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Yeah Marc give up the internet. It's bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

having a bird is definitely -EV if you want to be a successful professional poker player. Having said that they're not mutually exclusive, but they both affect each other in a negative way. I imagine I'd be a much better player if I wasn't in a long-term relationship - I would have played way more for certain. But then again I mightn't have finished college and all of my holidays would have been to vegas et al. I'm sure I'd be miserable anyway.

anyway the best advice for you right now is to get the Hercules and Love Affair album. I doubt anyone could lose while listening to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Get a job in McDonalds, Dunnes or something along those lines for a month. Don't play poker and rely only on that income.

I think that may make you appreciate the value of a euro again

wtf? why? That would seriously depress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Marq wrote: »
    having a bird is definitely -EV if you want to be a successful professional poker player. Having said that they're not mutually exclusive, but they both affect each other in a negative way. I imagine I'd be a much better player if I wasn't in a long-term relationship - I would have played way more for certain. But then again I mightn't have finished college and all of my holidays would have been to vegas et al. I'm sure I'd be miserable anyway.

anyway the best advice for you right now is to get the Hercules and Love Affair album. I doubt anyone could lose while listening to it.

I've actually become a much more disciplined with my money and as a player since meeting my current gf. She is definitely +EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Anomaly wrote: »

That would be true in some other threads. It doesn't really apply here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

lol at "asked how to Value Drink"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

RoundTower wrote: »
    lol at "asked how to Value Drink"

Move down levels... Go back to Tuborg/Bavaria...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Tuborg is a step up from most commercial beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement