Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what a feminist looks like!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Sherifu wrote: »
    Working for me.

Ok, it's working now. It came up first with this video is no longer available.

And after seeing that, it's really changed my mind.

There was not a looker among them.

And contradictions aside (saying that men can be feminists and then saying that women should unite to become the female majority or whatever), it's subversive nonsense. Either a feminist is someone who advocates women's rights or they aren't. Either there is a gender-specific problem that needs to be rectified or there isn't. You can't say a feminist is a humanist, but then turn it around and say women need more rights.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Eh it says 'feminist majority' not 'female majority'. Why can't a feminist be a humanist and at the same time say women need more rights? Why can't a man be a feminist?

Subversive?? You mean against the patriarchal society we live in? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You can't say a feminist is a humanist, but then turn it around and say women need more rights.

at no point in the video does anyone say they need more rights for women - they say there should be equal rights ie men and women treated the same...whats wrong with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

And contradictions aside (saying that men can be feminists and then saying that women should unite to become the female majority or whatever), it's subversive nonsense. Either a feminist is someone who advocates women's rights or they aren't. .

I dont know any feminists nowdays who would say women should unite to become the female majority. When feminism first arose to fight for universal suffrage the struggle existed across all the classes and women did have to unite in a single sex. However feminism evolved when sexism evolved and its no longer a fight of men versus women. Femisim is now a struggle for all those who are oppressed,though women because of our ability to get pregnant will always be more opressed in a society which puts profits before everything else.
    "The queen of the parlour has nothing in common with the maid in the kitchen. The sisterhood of women, like the brotherhood of men, is a hollow sham to labour. Behind all its smug hypocrisy and sickly sentimentality are the sinister outlines of the class war. "

Oh and this is what a feminist looks like :)
    me me.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

One thing that alarms me, and possibly shows my age, is the ease with which folk state utter nonsensical opinions about Feminism. 'Feminism is useless and outdated', 'women have all the rights they need', 'feminists are ulgy', etc. Also the idea of feminists as man haters seems to be cropping up again these days. Utter tripe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Walls wrote: »
    One thing that alarms me, and possibly shows my age, is the ease with which folk state utter nonsensical opinions about Feminism. 'Feminism is useless and outdated', 'women have all the rights they need', 'feminists are ulgy', etc. Also the idea of feminists as man haters seems to be cropping up again these days. Utter tripe.

my fav is "all feminists are lesbians" That always makes me laugh - I have a few lesbian friends and I wouldn't class any of them as feminists in fact most of them are worse then men in their attitudes towards women.

I came across that as well, and I found it so strange. The one woman I knew who was in a long term lesbian relationship was being subjected to the most awful conduct from her partner. I asked a third person about it and she, rightly, considered me an idiot. "Gender preference isn't any indication that folks are nice," she said, and it is true.

Stovelid, what's your point? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What are you mad ?
    Clearly you have no idea the cost of a good bra these days and how hard it is to get a good fit.

Damn right. I paid over €120 for three bras the other day!
    ztoical wrote: »
    my fav is "all feminists are lesbians" That always makes me laugh - I have a few lesbian friends and I wouldn't class any of them as feminists in fact most of them are worse then men in their attitudes towards women.

Would definitely agree with this. Had one or two lesbian friends in college and they had terrible attitudes towards women.

Thanks for posting this Thaed, I like the idea of more rights and choices for women in society and more equality (as men and women are inherently different I don't think we'll ever be fully equal) but do find the "feminazi" tag and image that feminism have difficult and hate the reaction it gets. It's great to see something done to combat this.

The Feminism = humanism part will stick with me.

Stovelid, what's your point? :)

Is one required? :)

• Advertisement

Well it is a phallic-centric society, don't cha know! ;)

Well it is a phallic-centric society, don't cha know! ;)

:):)

I was just being juvenile. AD came to mind when I saw the thread title. Not fair to her really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I was in the Tower of London the other day, doing a tour with a Yeoman (Beefeater). There is one female Yeoman. The first ever, as she served 25 years in the Army. One guy asked our guide about how the other Yeomen treat her. He was clearly disgusted by the question and said ''like every body else...when it's cold she gets cold like us, and when it rains she gets wet, just like us.''
    Anyway, I thought it was a nice thing to say :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Thaedydal wrote: »

Said Video is lying.
    At one point it claims that feminism is about being treated equally.
    Then it bogs on about them being strong and funny and smart...
    Surely some of them are also ugly, brainless, humourless cnuts without a useful chromosome to rub together?
    I know some men certainly are.

They should be treated equally, at least from the point of view of Resources, if not more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah, feminism, the carrot that made women everywhere run so far away from the home they longer have a choice to go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Eh no feminism is about choice, I am lucky enough that I have a choice to be currenntly a stay at home mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

FrancisSheehy-Skeffington.gif

148963.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Just a reminder that we still have a long way to go...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7331813.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I found the video irritating to say the least.

Then again, I hate "quirky" approaches to try and entice people into following some seemingly righteous ideology. I mean, it's a bit of a contradiction saying that feminists are intelligent in a video whose central message is "you're probably not smart enough, nor do you have the attention span necessary to listen to a reasoned discussion on the meaning and merits of feminism, so here's 2 and a half minutes of inspirationally sounding, yet substanceless quotes and buzzwords."

Not that I'm against feminism or anything, though I don't like the word, I'd prefer something like equalism. (And rational or not, I believe many men don't care about feminism because the word implies it's not their concern)

Also, taconnol, I'm only speculating, but that link says 70% of the world's poor are women. Could this possibly be because many of thier equally poor husbands have been killed in conflict?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Have to agree there about the vid. And it's silly to say gender doesn't come into feminism. Of course it does. For me, feminism is about recognising that there are still a lot of obstacles/"rules"/stereotypes/imposed roles/double standards facing women today (a lot of same propagated by certain women themselves). And these are taken for granted and simply accepted without challenge. For me, feminism is about not taking these for granted and attempting to make people aware of them and to deconstruct them.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I found the video pretty silly too... Now I know what a feminist looks like, but I still have no idea from that clip what a feminist is or does :rolleyes:
    ...apart from that they are all 'strong, confident women' who shave their legs and aren't ugly :rolleyes:
    I can see the point of it, in that the term needs to be reclaimed from people who think feminist = ugly lesbian, but the vague, inspiration soundbites and lack of any other intelligent discussion of what being a feminist might mean in contemporary society, was annoying and pretty naff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

the last 3 points have summed this up nicely.

Well said people! ;)

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Also, taconnol, I'm only speculating, but that link says 70% of the world's poor are women. Could this possibly be because many of thier equally poor husbands have been killed in conflict?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that is the reason for the statistic. It may be a factor in some war-ridden societies but it would not be the main reason. For example, in many countries, women do not have property rights. Even in 'enlightened' France, there are discriminatory property laws that state that if a husband dies, the property is divided equally between the wife and children. These sort of laws clearly lead to the empoverishment of women.

Another major factor is lack of education of women and societies that think that women should be at home, not out earning their own money etc. I could go on...

Yeah I know what you're saying about the word feminism. Would anyone suggest a better one?

taconnol wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you're saying about the word feminism. Would anyone suggest a better one?

equality-isim - theres prob a better word. What alot of men don't think about when they start bitching about feminism and it being all lesbians and out to get them, is that its a movement that has helped their rights as well. Maybe not all the men reading this but any of the ones with kids should think about it next time they go to tescos and see the "parent and child" parking that use to read "mother and child" or the fact that the baby changing facilities are either in a different room to the bathrooms or there's facilities in both the men and womens rest rooms - O there is a long way to go as I'm sure the fathers rights groups will tell you but the goal is for the genders to have equal rights not promoting one over the other.

My friend recently had a baby, or rather his girlfriend had the baby, and he was in the delivery room and cut the cord - it was a really big deal to him. Wasn't that long ago when it was unheard of for the man to be in the delivery room.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

taconnol wrote: »
    Even in 'enlightened' France, there are discriminatory property laws that state that if a husband dies, the property is divided equally between the wife and children. These sort of laws clearly lead to the empoverishment of women.

How is that either discriminatory or unfair (not that it's actually the law or anything) and how would such a practice lead to the impoverishment of women, assuming that the inverse were true for widowers and that the children in question are of mixed genders?

What do you mean it isn't the law? If you brush up on your French property law, you'll find that it is the law in France. I'm not even sure why I have to explain why that is discriminatory or can lead to the empoverishment of women - it's blindingly obvious. But OK, let's take an example.

Husband dies. House is worth €1m. In Ireland, wife would inherit house. Therefore her wealth is increased by €500k. Now let's say it's France and they have 2 children. The house is divided 3 ways and suddenly her share of the house drops from €500k to €333k. ie, a drop of approx. €167k in personal assets. What sort of logic demands that the house should be shared among the children for feck sake?? Even if they have their own homes, their mother is deemed incapable or not deserving of owning her own home and must share it, legally with them? Even if they are 6 and 7 years old???

The same does not apply if the husband dies. He does not have to worry about this at all. You have situations where the husband dies and children automatically demand that the house is sold so that they can claim their share. The wife is forced out of her home. The situation can be even worse if the married couple have had children in a previous marriage- very messy and TOTALLY discriminatory against women. Shocking in a country that claims to be as progressive as France.

ztoical - yeah equalitism or something but then it becomes this bland word that applies to every form of discrimination..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

men + women = people. Some are eejits some are not, all are different, all are the same at the back of it all. If and when that needs to be spelled out, then we may need an ism. The sooner we don't, the better.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

That was brilliant Thaed.

Especially the deduction that Ms Pac-man kept her own name, mother - ****ers!

Advertisement