Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me V Them

Options
  • 01-04-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of the banking industry, I have an appeal coming up soon, basically I was given a low grade for mid year, and was never given a chance to appeal although I had done so by recommendation of the HR dept via an email to my manager which he ignored.

I was then for no reason put on "probation" for 14 weeks where I was humiliated by my supervisor every Friday by nit picking through my every move the previous week, the supervisor had been co-ordinating bully attacks through the use of company instant message technology, where he would get other members of my "team" (one whom was a personal friend) to systematically freeze me out and withhold information. My supervisor would set impossible deadlines, change my objectives, and subject me to excessive supervision and detailed checking of my work as per above.

So now after not been awarded my yearly bonus, (which I worked very hard for) and been refused vital training for the last six months of 07, due to my manager deceiving his Snr manager, I have the chance to voice my side of the story. The problem I have is simple do HR ever stand up for the little guys, or do they back up management in the face of overwhelming evidence, which trust me I have, (incl. photographic evidence of work carried out) I am confident going into this but would like the opinion of someone who might have been in this situation before.

Thanks for listening.
    .#.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

that sounds like a terrible working environment - get out of there asap is my major advice. Unfortunately have no experience of appeals, but they will generally go with the management view. Be sure to be well documented for the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Although financial companies tend to be a bit old boys' clubbish, any decent company will carry these kind of discussion out with at least two members of the HR department present, at least one of whom don't deal with you or your manager on a daily basis.

These kinds of disputes come up more rarely than you would think - anyone with an actual grievance is more likely to push for a hearing, as opposed to some who may just have a grudge or a mental illness.

So long as you're well documented and honest*, you have a fair chance.

*By honest, I mean willing to accept your mistakes and failings. Don't deny every bad thing that's said about you, just to save face. But by the same token, if some failing is being exaggerated, then say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Your supervisor is victimising you and the managment and HR will usually side with him unless you can get good evidence of it. It can be hard to get good evidence but the best thing is to write down every bad thing he does and build up a log.

HR wont accept one or two minor complaints but if you have a list of complaints and the exact date they happened and you can articulate them to HR then, they might side with you. Then you need to suggest a solution, like maybe you work under a different supervisor.

Good luck

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Me2c wrote: »
    The problem I have is simple do HR ever stand up for the little guys, or do they back up management in the face of overwhelming evidence, which trust me I have, (incl. photographic evidence of work carried out) I am confident going into this but would like the opinion of someone who might have been in this situation before.

Thanks for listening.
    .#.

Sorry to hear that. I think most people will at some point in their career be victim to this sort of bullying by supervisors/managers etc..

As regards HR, I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I doubt they will bring you much joy. Maybe it'll be different in your organisation, but my experiences of them, and experiences of friends who have been through similar stuff to you, has been that they've been nothing more than a sounding board and didn't actually carry out anything to improve the situation.

Have you got a union? Could they help with this? I've no experience of unions, never worked anywhere with one, so I don't know whether they could help or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Me2c wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of the banking industry, I have an appeal coming up soon, basically I was given a low grade for mid year, and was never given a chance to appeal although I had done so by recommendation of the HR dept via an email to my manager which he ignored.

I was then for no reason put on "probation" for 14 weeks where I was humiliated by my supervisor every Friday by nit picking through my every move the previous week, the supervisor had been co-ordinating bully attacks through the use of company instant message technology, where he would get other members of my "team" (one whom was a personal friend) to systematically freeze me out and withhold information. My supervisor would set impossible deadlines, change my objectives, and subject me to excessive supervision and detailed checking of my work as per above.

So now after not been awarded my yearly bonus, (which I worked very hard for) and been refused vital training for the last six months of 07, due to my manager deceiving his Snr manager, I have the chance to voice my side of the story. The problem I have is simple do HR ever stand up for the little guys, or do they back up management in the face of overwhelming evidence, which trust me I have, (incl. photographic evidence of work carried out) I am confident going into this but would like the opinion of someone who might have been in this situation before.

Thanks for listening.
    .#.

I have some experience of this as a mgr in banking. First of all there are two sides to every story and while you may think you have been hard done by that may not be how your manager sees it. But giving you the benefit of the doubt here are some things to note.

I am not sure what the appeal is technically appealing (your lack of bonus or your being put on probation) but whatever it is here is what the likely scenario is.

Firstly you can be sure that HR will have discussed this issue with either your manager or your managers manager before the appeal meeting. They will come to a consensus on what the company policy is and what their stance will be. They will be going into this united. I would be very surprised if this has not already occurred.

Having said that if the HR manager is worth their salt they will keep an open mind and will listen to your points and give you the chance to either redeem yourself (if they feel the mgr was right) or to assure you that the situation will improve (if they feel you actually have been victimised).

The mgr will not be taken to task in front of you and if "the comapny" does think the mgr is in the wrong chances are you will not hear about it. They will always give the mrg the better deal in that sense. What action if any is taken against the mgr will be done behind closed doors.

What you are missing is a manager to fight your corner for you unfortunately. If you are allowed have someone sit in on the meeting iwth you my advice would be to do so if you feel you will be intimidated. This will avoid you be rail roaded. But make sure that person stays quiet, the last thing you need is your Dad or Mum yelling at your manager.

I cannt see this being favourable to you in that you will not get the satisfaction you are looking for. You will not get your bonus and you will not be taken off probation. My advice would be by all means go along and clear your name, get evidence to back up any accusations you make. Do not loose your calm, do not raise your voice. State your case and be firm. Do not sign anything they give you to sign at that meeting (ask to take it away and read it when you have time to digest it)

Gather your evidence in case this escalates.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just thought I'd update you guys to whats happening here,

Basically had a meeting with HR on a one to one basis, where the HR manager said he investigated my part (after me submitting a paper highlighting my points and evidence for the full year) and having talked to both my manager and super, has decided that my performance is judged on the last six months of '07.

Now there was no formal agreement in place that I was made aware of this, at the mid year stage, and as above I was actually prevented from attending a course because of my grade and tried to appeal this with an email to my manager, which this HR manager was the recommended procedure. Also theres nothing in the employee handbook to suggest that this is normal behaviour for the bank, and again this is also the first Ive heard of this, he says that my two managers made a "special" effort with me at this stage, which is complete lies, and made up, and I have proof of that.

I had a project to work on last year but towards the end a very close family member passed away, and I could not come to terms with it so hadnt returned to work until mid january, they were fully aware of my situation, and subsequently the project had to be finished by other people. My argument is that the "year" review, grade and bonus should be that, and although I failed one objective at the end of the year, I had several that I completed at the beginning, now they've come up with this, which is blatant lies and the HR manager is totally siding with them.

Advertisement