Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Very sneaky speed trap....

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭

Wonder if we'll see these type of tactics on our roads? Very sneaky :eek:

How about this, cops putting video of themselves sprrding on the net! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Pity the poor Horse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Sure we've already seen things similar to that here. The Naas road used to always have a Transit with tinted windows and a sneaky camera behind it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

sicruise wrote: »
    Sure we've already seen things similar to that here. The Naas road used to always have a Transit with tinted windows and a sneaky camera behind it...

there still always there, not used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

hope the horse took a couple of big dumps in the back:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Senna wrote: »
    hope the horse took a couple of big dumps in the back:pac:
    :)
    sicruise wrote: »
    I have been driving the same high roof transit with tinted rear windows as the Gatsos, funny when I would pull over to the side of the road and watch every one slow down. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I saw a video taken in America where cops dressed up as homeless people and kept the cameras on their laps, or dressed in plainclothes and leaned over an open bonnet 'fixing their car', with a camera under their arm :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

The high viz jacket is a bit of a give-away..
    Fair play to the cops.. Any measures they take to make stupid idiots slow down are fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

its mad that the speed cameras are meant to be highly visibal,

surly the only way they will scare the tossers into obaying the speed limits is to convince people that they could be caught no matter where they are

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In the former GDR, on the transit routes to West Berlin, the police used to lie in ambush in full camouflage (including face paint) with camouflage nets and twigs and branches over the radar guns and cameras.

You'd never know they were there until at the next exit you'd be stopped at gunpoint and "lightened" of a few hundred (western) Deutschmarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

peasant wrote: »
    In the former GDR, on the transit routes to West Berlin, the police used to lie in ambush in full camouflage (including face paint) with camouflage nets and twigs and branches over the radar guns and cameras.

You'd never know they were there until at the next exit you'd be stopped at gunpoint and "lightened" of a few hundred (western) Deutschmarks.

Any means to get their hands on some hard currency :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've also seen them use wheelie bins to conceal cameras in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

''emergency on hard shoulder'' the back passenger side door is open and a camera is hidden ..... or the garda car parked on the footpath outside a house, with a camera on the dashboard. Dont forget the carlot outside a showroom, where an unmarked car is parked next to cars for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I've also seen them use wheelie bins to conceal cameras in the UK

Correct.. total mare if we get them here.
    http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/gatso22.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

unkel wrote: »
    Any means to get their hands on some hard currency :D
    Fools and their money: easily parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

times must be tough so ya gotta fill the quota somehow i suppose........... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If the new tachographs for trucks ( http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/RSA_Services/Digital_Tachograph.html ) prove to be as good as they seem already , it won't be long before GPS dataloggers get fitted to everything. Even more of a chance of that happening since they are cheap n common now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

This one has been done to death here. These ambush tactics are no good, if there was more highly visable garda cars out on the roads patrolling, and targeting more than just speeding, maybe people would learn, to drive better (in an ideal world).

Through my job I spend alot of time in and out of various garda stations in the midlands, and it always amuses me how many garda cars (traffic core) included that are parked in the stations doing nothing, often for hours.

Mullingar has several traffic cars stationed there, and this week I was in that station several times and most of them didn't move over the course of the week.

Today traveling from Athlone towards Dublin I passed several garda cars on the road, in a short space of time and guess what. No one was speeding.

These ambush tactics have nothing to do with road safety and will never achieve anything positive for road safety, as posted earlier they are just a money making racket.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    These ambush tactics have nothing to do with road safety and will never achieve anything positive for road safety, as posted earlier they are just a money making racket.
    That's a very sweeping statement and the ould 'money making racket' argument is widely used by habitual law-breakers to discredit road safety measures.

In principle, the idea of encouraging people to automatically comply with the law, whether or not a Garda is obviously watching is a good thing. It's not always driver education that's needed on the road. What's needed is the threat of being caught and real penalties being applied for what are, after all, dangerous, anti-social acts that can ruin the lives of others.

Today traveling from Athlone towards Dublin I passed several garda cars on the road, in a short space of time and guess what. No one was speeding.

i agree totally. down here in Cork they seem to favour hiding up slip roads and clocking cars from the rear, then chasing after and booking them.

this way only a handful of people ever see them and they do little for road safety.

however if they actually went about setting up the tripod on the side of the road, then everyone that passed by would see them and they would all slow down.

you cant argue with that logic surely but i suppose if filling targets is the name of the game.....................:rolleyes:

D_murph wrote: »
    this way only a handful of people ever see them and they do little for road safety.
    By the same flawed logic, stake-outs that catch bank-robbers in the act don't do anything against crime.

People hear about unmarked speed traps and it makes them aware that they could be caught breaking the law at any time.

• Advertisement

By the same flawed logic, stake-outs that catch bank-robbers in the act don't do anything against crime.

People hear about unmarked speed traps and it makes them aware that they could be caught breaking the law at any time.

while thats a good point, it doesnt change the fact that some people are going to speed anyway.

the point im making is that WHITE_P said that when there was a visible garda presence on the road, it slowed everyone down. i have seen this myself on the roads at times.

if they pull people over for speeding there and then, it might actually stop them from having an accident further on up the road but hiding in bushes etc, taking pictures that will not reach the driver for a week will not rule out the possibility that they will continue to speed and maybe have a bad smash before the letter gets to them.

of course that would be the case if it actually was about road safety as opposed to revenue generating :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

while thats a good point, it doesnt change the fact that some people are going to speed anyway.

the point im making is that WHITE_P said that when there was a visible garda presence on the road, it slowed everyone down. i have seen this myself on the roads at times.

if they pull people over for speeding there and then, it might actually stop them from having an accident further on up the road but hiding in bushes etc, taking pictures that will not reach the driver for a week will not rule out the possibility that they will continue to speed and maybe have a bad smash before the letter gets to them.

of course that would be the case if it actually was about road safety as opposed to revenue generating :rolleyes:

DMurph, don't you know that parking up on a straight road and catching safe drivers at 7km over the limit IS all about road safety, and will hopefully keep these inconsiderate and unsociable creatins off the roads and save thousands of lives! :p Its not about revenue generation at all, but "Road Safety"l.:p

No point in continuing the argument really, the anti-speeding mullahs are so entrenched in their views it is impossible for them to see the logic in approaching Road Safety with an open mind to all solutions, not to mention the basic ones like Education. I reckon its sheer begrudgery, they hate to see people overtake them or go faster then THEY want to go. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

good point, and instead of arresting shoplifters using security camera footage they should nab the robber before they leave the shop so that the shop keeper wont lose out.

n-e-way

IMOH people should be convinced that there is a possibility of a hidden camera on any road in the country, that way a driver has to go within the limit the whole time no matter where he/she is.

astraboy wrote: »
    DMurph, don't you know that parking up on a straight road and catching safe drivers at 7km over the limit IS all about road safety, and will hopefully keep these inconsiderate and unsociable creatins off the roads and save thousands of lives! Its not about revenue generation at all, but "Road Safety"l.

the only legal way to stop lunitics is simply to set limits and nab people who break them, so 55 in a 50 zone should be no different from 120 in a 50, otherwise court cases would go on for ever

mukki wrote: »
    good point, and instead of arresting shoplifters using security camera footage they should nab the robber before they leave the shop so that the shop keeper wont lose out.

n-e-way

IMOH people should be convinced that there is a possibility of a hidden camera on any road in the country, that way a driver has to go within the limit the whole time no matter where he/she is.

the only legal way to stop lunitics is simply to set limits and nab people who break them, so 55 in a 50 zone should be no different from 120 in a 50, otherwise court cases would go on for ever

Thats where we differ in opinion. A 50Kph zone is generally residental. Going 5kph over the limit maybe a monetery lapse in judgement, Doing 120 is clearly driving too fast through a residental area. Discretion should be used and the guy driving dangerously punished, the guy marginally over the limit warned.

My opinions on speed limits generally pertain to Motorways and newer national secondary routes that are quite safe, and doing say 110Kph on a national secondary route or 135kph on a motorway when conditions allow is not that fast on those roads in this day and age.

Also, it seems a common misconception that speeding and dangerous driving are one and the same, they are not. One can be driving dangerously fast under the speed limit, or driving quite safetly over it, depending on the road, weather, driver, car and traffic etc etc. We do need limits in certain areas. On other roads we need higher limits. The Germans seem to manage quite well without limits on many of their roads with no differential increase in accident rates on roads with or without limits.

Mukki.

You seem to be missing the point here, cameras will not stop people speeding weather intentionally or not. Just as CCTV in shops doesn't stop criminals from stealing.

As I said, having passed several garda cars on the road between Athlone and Moate, most of the traffic I was travelling with maintained a speed within or only marginally higher than the speed limit up to where I left the N6 / N4 at Kinnegad.

Also why are there so many traffic corp garda cars clogging up the yards at garda stations day in and day out, when they should be out patrolling and making their presence felt on the road.

It's common knowledge in Mullingar that the traffic corp's wages for the week (metaphorically speaking) are made on a Friday evening on the Mullingar By pass catching people speeding, they hide on / under the overpasses and within the hedging between the two carriageway's

cyclopath2001: It's not always driver education that's needed on the road. What's needed is the threat of being caught and real penalties being applied for what are, after all, dangerous, anti-social acts that can ruin the lives of others.[/QUOTE]

Educated drivers are generally better drivers and will drive accordingly with the prevailing conditions, (by educated I mean people who have either completed additional (I don't want to say advanced) driving courses or are interested enough to self educate themselves to be better drivers).

Speeding is not necessarily dangerous, and as for anti social, I can think of a lot worse behaviours that would come under this title, and are never addressed by the gardai or courts, not enough revenue to be had from prosecuting these type of offences.

The government want the motorist to be public enemy No.1, that way it is easier to screw them for more money.

Educated drivers are generally better drivers and will drive accordingly with the prevailing conditions, (by educated I mean people who have either completed additional (I don't want to say advanced) driving courses or are interested enough to self educate themselves to be better drivers).

Speeding is not necessarily dangerous, and as for anti social, I can think of a lot worse behaviours that would come under this title, and are never addressed by the gardai or courts, not enough revenue to be had from prosecuting these type of offences.

The government want the motorist to be public enemy No.1, that way it is easier to screw them for more money.

Well said WHITE P, I'm tired of being told I'm public enemy NO.1, could'nt agree with you more. And on that note, goodnight!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

I love how they enforce these rules and are big hypocrites in themselves. Gotta love Ireland

Not at all. Only selfish law-breaking road-users are being targeted.

But to get rid of the distracting 'speed traps are revenue generators' argument, I'd be happy to see the financial penalty abolished and only points given instead. That way, persistent law-breakers could be put off the roads and those guilty of a rare lapse would merely be admonished and reminded of their social responsibilities. That said, we'll need more monitoring as the chances of being caught are still quite haphazard.

I'd also be in favour of investigating the idea of linking the number of points to the percentage by which the speed limit was exceeded.

Other non-financial sanctions, such as road-side bannings (say for a couple of hours) could be useful as I am quite certain that, for some, financial fines are just an inconvenience.

Education certainly has a role, especially if the social consequences of speeding are on the curriculum.

But, let's fact it, if we increase the speed limit to 160 kph, some people will want to drive at 200kph. There are people in this world who see rules as being for other people.

• Advertisement

Not at all. Only selfish law-breaking road-users are being targeted.

But to get rid of the distracting 'speed traps are revenue generators' argument, I'd be happy to see the financial penalty abolished and only points given instead. That way, persistent law-breakers could be put off the roads and those guilty of a rare lapse would merely be admonished and reminded of their social responsibilities.

I'd also be in favour of investigating the idea of linking the number of points to the percentage by which the speed limit was exceeded.

Education certainly has a role, especially if the social consequences of speeding are on the curriculum.

But, let's fact it, if we increase the speed limit to 160 kph, some people will want to drive at 200kph. There are people in this world who see rules as being for other people.

Points on your licence equals increased insurance premium equals more VAT, so they still gain.

"The idea of linking the number of points to the percentage by which the speed limit was exceeded."
    This might be fitting, as the bigger the offence the higher the penalty. However, the law doesn't seem to work that way when it comes to more serious offences in this country, so why should speeding be treated any differently. Look at the amount of killers / rapists / gun carrying scumbags that walk out of the courts everyday laughing at the law in this country.

Education has a huge role to play, however known this country for its ability to get it wrong, they will concentrate on the "social consequences of speeding" and not bother to try and improve people's skills or attitude to driving.

"There are people in this world who see rules as being for other people."
    Just like those people stupid enough to take illegal drugs, or commit other offences that very often have serious consequences for other innocent people around them.

Advertisement