Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady Erin being moved

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojcwcwoj&cat=news

Lady Erin statue to make way for a town superloo
    EXCLUSIVE by Gerry McLaughlin

TWO great Sligo public institutions will be on the move shortly. The Lady Erin statue at the foot of Market Street is set to be replaced by a badly needed superloo, the Weekender has learned.

The statue has suffered so much vandalism in recent times that it has been decided to put her on the scrap heap to avoid the further indignities of graffiti attacks. In one such attack earlier this year part of Lady Erin’s right arm was broken off.

She will be replaced by something a lot more practical and dear to the hearts of many Sligonians . . . a super-loo

For years councillors have fought over where we should spend our pennies and we have no place to pee as a result.

And the council have been paying through the nose for a superloo it purchased but has been in storage for years.

But all that will be over now when the new loo takes its rightful place in Sligo

. . . and the borough council pledges nobody will now be caught short.

A source close to Sligo Borough Councll said that it would ease a pressing problem in the town.

“Lady Erin was getting a fierce hammering and the old girl should be quiet-ly carved up,” he said. “We badly need a public toilet, and we know a lot history will be going down the pan with her. But history isn’t much good when you gotta go.”

The Lady Erin statue will be on the move later today, (it’s Tuesday, April 1).

Peronally I am raging that Lady Erin is being moved - it should be repaired and restored and not scrapped!

Does anyone know anymore??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Could this possibly be an april fools day joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

Could this possibly be an april fools day joke?

you just beat me to it - I just read it again and its an April Fool joke.

The MacManus' wouldnt let that happen - <SNIP>

Stick to the topic please seeing as you started the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

http://www.sligoweekender.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojcwcwoj&cat=news

Lady Erin statue to make way for a town superloo
    EXCLUSIVE by Gerry McLaughlin

TWO great Sligo public institutions will be on the move shortly. The Lady Erin statue at the foot of Market Street is set to be replaced by a badly needed superloo, the Weekender has learned.

The statue has suffered so much vandalism in recent times that it has been decided to put her on the scrap heap to avoid the further indignities of graffiti attacks. In one such attack earlier this year part of Lady Erin’s right arm was broken off.

She will be replaced by something a lot more practical and dear to the hearts of many Sligonians . . . a super-loo

For years councillors have fought over where we should spend our pennies and we have no place to pee as a result.

And the council have been paying through the nose for a superloo it purchased but has been in storage for years.

But all that will be over now when the new loo takes its rightful place in Sligo

. . . and the borough council pledges nobody will now be caught short.

A source close to Sligo Borough Councll said that it would ease a pressing problem in the town.

“Lady Erin was getting a fierce hammering and the old girl should be quiet-ly carved up,” he said. “We badly need a public toilet, and we know a lot history will be going down the pan with her. But history isn’t much good when you gotta go.”

The Lady Erin statue will be on the move later today, (it’s Tuesday, April 1).

Peronally I am raging that Lady Erin is being moved - it should be repaired and restored and not scrapped!

Does anyone know anymore??

It took you till the end to figure it out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

is this just a one user a time loo
    if it is I doubt many people will use it given its exposed position
    t'would be a wee bit embaressing

I'm going back to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The MacManus' wouldnt let that happen <SNIP>

If this isn't trolling, then I completely misunderstood the definition of "troll".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Is the statue actually taking that much of a beating though? I haven't noticed but it's been a while since I actually looked at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

If this isn't trolling, then I completely misunderstood the definition of "troll".

428px-Old_violin.jpg
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

you just beat me to it - I just read it again and its an April Fool joke.

The MacManus' wouldnt let that happen <SNIP>[/B]

Ahh the irony of a man posting from Manchester in NorthWest England using the term
    I didnt reinsert it , obviously it was removed between the time i pressed reply and send .

Gillie wrote: »
    428px-Old_violin.jpg
    :)

starbelgrade its not trolling if its your buddy thats doing it . :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I read a book a few years ago, based in Sligo. Can't think of the name of it OR the writer (too many mashed brain cells), but it was about a slightly disturbed dude who lived near the statue. Must have a look at home for it.

I read a book a few years ago, based in Sligo. Can't think of the name of it OR the writer (too many mashed brain cells), but it was about a slightly disturbed dude who lived near the statue. Must have a look at home for it.

That actually sounds interesting! Let me know the name when you find it!

Hmmm.. I wonder if you're taking the p*ss now and I'm making myself look like a plank! :confused:

I bet it's based on Hail. He's seriously disturbed, you know?

takola wrote: »
    That actually sounds interesting! Let me know the name when you find it!

Hmmm.. I wonder if you're taking the p*ss now and I'm making myself look like a plank! :confused:

I bet it's based on Hail. He's seriously disturbed, you know?

You don't need me to make you look like a plank! No - I'm serious about the book though. I wish I could remember more about it... the guy's a bit looney, gets a job in the town, but everyone's a bit freaked out by him & he has trouble sleeping all the time, especially with all the noise coming up from the streets below. I can't remember much more than that - the plot eludes me completely, but I remember it being a good (if a tad dark) read. And there's something else about a dry cleaners - I think there's a tailors dummy in the window that he sees every night from his window & imagines that it's some kind of Angel. And I'm nearly sure his room is in a house at the bottom of Harmony Hill, near the statue.

I'm sure there's quite a few people in Sligo it could be based on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Seriously disturbed but do you think I'd actually be able to wrtie a book :/

Me no have enough crayons!

You don't need me to make you look like a plank! No - I'm serious about the book though. I wish I could remember more about it... the guy's a bit looney, gets a job in the town, but everyone's a bit freaked out by him & he has trouble sleeping all the time, especially with all the noise coming up from the streets below. I can't remember much more than that - the plot eludes me completely, but I remember it being a good (if a tad dark) read. And there's something else about a dry cleaners - I think there's a tailors dummy in the window that he sees every night from his window & imagines that it's some kind of Angel. And I'm nearly sure his room is in a house at the bottom of Harmony Hill, near the statue.

I'm sure there's quite a few people in Sligo it could be based on!

Oi! Careful you, or I'll have to get the sisterhood together for a bashing! :D

It does sound like a good read. Don't forget to post the name so I can read it!
    Seriously disturbed but do you think I'd actually be able to wrtie a book :/

Me no have enough crayons!

I said about you Hail! You can't write. Everyone knows that! :rolleyes:

takola wrote: »
    Oi! Careful you, or I'll have to get the sisterhood together for a bashing! :D

It does sound like a good read. Don't forget to post the name so I can read it!

I said about you Hail! You can't write. Everyone knows that! :rolleyes:

It appears he has trouble reading too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

gustavo wrote: »
    starbelgrade its not trolling if its your buddy thats doing it . :rolleyes:

WTF?
    Is that me your addressing there?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

State of this.
    Wtf is going on?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I'm totally confused by this thread, any chance of subtitles:D

magnumlady wrote: »
    I'm totally confused by this thread, any chance of subtitles:D

:D

It's all just a big fat joke!!

• Advertisement

I know the loo and the statue is, its the rest I don't get (old age is getting to me)

magnumlady wrote: »
    I know the loo and the statue is, its the rest I don't get (old age is getting to me)

Some of it was snipped by the mods... I'm apologise if my ramblings added to the confusion - I was trying to remember the name of a book based in Sligo town where the main character lives on Harmony Hill. He references the statue a few times in the novel.

As far as I can tell, its a continuation of yesterdays locked thread regarding the Queen visiting Sligo.

The bloke from Manchester appears to have issues with some of the other posters opinions... :confused:

sueme wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, its a continuation of yesterdays locked thread regarding the Queen visiting Sligo.

The bloke from Manchester appears to have issues with some of the other posters opinions... :confused:

Oh right, thanks Sueme

Yep - that was it.

Some of it was snipped by the mods... I'm apologise if my ramblings added to the confusion - I was trying to remember the name of a book based in Sligo town where the main character lives on Harmony Hill. He references the statue a few times in the novel.

I think it was Eight Ball Boogie , pretty good book too.

Just googled it, it looks good, must get a copy.

41KEZHQ4BAL._AA240_.jpg

Yip! That's the one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭sligobhoy67

eh - I from Sligo Town - I live in Manchester - there is a subtle but important difference.

I should stick to the boxing board.

(i'll snip that myself as Muffler PM'd to say I am barred it a put another foot out of place - because I have been soooo disruptive!)

• Advertisement

Cue thread being closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement