Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

oh jeebus...........

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

This is making me ill.........

why? 'cos our 02 Mazda just did it, with 88k miles and history, it just blew a big end...........cost for new short block...........5k. :(

And to think I specifically bought a Mazda for it's reliability ? I must take up smoking..........something..............the ECU prob on our 07 Galaxy was a mere......inconvenience compared to this latest mechanical episode.......

Is there nothing sacred? Does nobody actually test - anything - anymore?

So, a 15k car with no engine is worth.............???

And, what should we buy if we absolutely, categorically, don't want to ever have to fix anything, ever, again? I'm getting really, really sceptical about common-rail diesels, btw.............they all seem to be great - whilst they're running - it's just they don't seem to have anything like the longevity of previous generations...........I'd shudder to see the bills for a Honda C-TDI if if ever goes 'poop'..............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

What kind of Mazda is it TT? For a 02 you should be able to source a second hand engine for far less then 5K, then just do a straight swop. Maybe an option to consider. My dads 02 primera had the gearbox go on it and it would cost 4K to fix nearly, so he decided to scrap it. It had well over 90k miles on it though and the bodywork was'nt great so it wasnt worth a load of money. Did'nt get a whole lot for it but you need to ask is putting 4/5K into a 02 car really worth it?

If you never want to fix anything again Toyota is the way to go. Corollas are soulless pieces of metal and plastic, but they will go on forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

astraboy wrote: »
    What kind of Mazda is it TT? For a 02 you should be able to source a second hand engine for far less then 5K, then just do a straight swop. Maybe an option to consider. My dads 02 primera had the gearbox go on it and it would cost 4K to fix nearly, so he decided to scrap it. It had well over 90k miles on it though and the bodywork was'nt great so it wasnt worth a load of money. Did'nt get a whole lot for it but you need to ask is putting 4/5K into a 02 car really worth it?

If you never want to fix anything again Toyota is the way to go. Corollas are soulless pieces of metal and plastic, but they will go on forever.

i doubt the current model one. i recently drove an 07 one, 1.4 petrol and it pales in comparison to the sturdyness of older 02-04 models.

they are not as good as they used to be!

thats what cost cutting does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

'fraid not - it's an 02 Mazda MPV, 2.0 common rail diesel, 136bhp - RF series engine, same as Mazda 6.

I travelled to UK 3 weeks ago to collect a unit, and it was rubbish. Cheapest I could find was 2200 Sterling. Clutch and DMF add 1k Euro. Differing opinons out there on whether you can even regrind the crank, so we're in a big hole on this one.........................give me back my Scenic(s) !!

You might have something on the Toyota, though..........currently have a loan of a 97 Corolla with 115k on it, and it runs like a Swiss watch.............ditto the 88 one I can get my hands on, too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry for your troubles :(

That said, I'd have thought you'd be the first person to understand the myth about "Japanese cars will go on forever no matter what" is just that, a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

galwaytt wrote: »
    'fraid not - it's an 02 Mazda MPV, 2.0 common rail diesel, 136bhp - RF series engine, same as Mazda 6.

I travelled to UK 3 weeks ago to collect a unit, and it was rubbish. Cheapest I could find was 2200 Sterling. Clutch and DMF add 1k Euro. Differing opinons out there on whether you can even regrind the crank, so we're in a big hole on this one.........................give me back my Scenic(s) !!

You might have something on the Toyota, though..........currently have a loan of a 97 Corolla with 115k on it, and it runs like a Swiss watch.............ditto the 88 one I can get my hands on, too.

The crank might be nitrided ? if depends on it and you regrind the crank ( like you should be able to for something that puts out 136 but thats another thread ..) it will work grand for a very short time and then die again. Try find out for sure and i'll try dig up someone who can re-do it ( extra fun outside of the cyanide usually used to harden it is that it needs to be re-straightened again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I know, I know, but in truth, I think it's Japanese DIESELS that are the problem......can't fault my 90 MX-5..............and you don't need a degree to fix it, either...........

Common Rails diesels, oth,..........don't even go there..........!!

At least I can claim it's the wife's car.........my tastes are more..........discerning ?:D

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Ceb

my vote toward reliability has to be with toyota, i hate everything about then except their amazing reliability, especially the late 90's dsl models

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

unkel wrote: »
    Sorry for your troubles :(

That said, I'd have thought you'd be the first person to understand the myth about "Japanese cars will go on forever no matter what" is just that, a myth.

Go forever no mater what, now thats a myth, but go longer than your average piece of euro poo, thats fact.
    Newer jap cars dont seem to have the same reliability and i'm guessing jap diesels ranges will be worse.

If in doubt, get a 1990 nissan sunny, when/if it does break down, just leave it on the road side and buy another:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

just stick in a 1.3 rotary ( none turbo ) and stop your whining , mazda is owned by ford so what do you expect ?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

galwaytt wrote: »
    I know, I know, but in truth, I think it's Japanese DIESELS that are the problem......can't fault my 90 MX-5..............and you don't need a degree to fix it, either...........

Common Rails diesels, oth,..........don't even go there..........!!

At least I can claim it's the wife's car.........my tastes are more..........discerning ?:D

And we have a Toyota Avensis that eats clutches for breakfast, leaks water, rust, has dodgy electronics, and suffers from uncontrollable rattles....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

There seems to be a simple rule with Japanese cars. If it (and the engine) was built and assembled in Japan it seems to be much more reliable than the one built abroad.

Avensis, etc case in point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Not nice.
    Mazda doesn't qualify as being Japanese any more does it? So many parts shared with Ford.
    Mayshine wrote:
    If it (and the engine) was built and assembled in Japan it seems to be much more reliable than the one built abroad.
    Single most reliable car on the roads in the UK at moment is the 98 to 03 Accord... which was built in Swindon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

S.I.R wrote: »
    just stick in a 1.3 rotary ( none turbo ) and stop your whining , mazda is owned by ford so what do you expect ?? :confused:

did Ford have anything to do with that Mazda in 2002???.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

maidhc wrote: »
    And we have a Toyota Avensis that eats clutches for breakfast, leaks water, rust, has dodgy electronics, and suffers from uncontrollable rattles....

Have ye not gotten rid of it yet maidhc?

For a long time now every time Toyota reliability comes up you mention this pig of an Avensis that ye own! Sounds like a "Monday morning" one to me.

@galwaytt - very surprised to read about this common problem with the Mazda's - thought they were one of the most reliable you could buy. Crappy situation to be in. I guess all you can do is hang onto it for as long as you can and keep an eye out for a replacement engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

was talking to recovery guy recently and he said most of the breakdowns hes seeing are in newer cars (06-07) reckons the build and parts quality has gone to pot said he hadn't seen a particular make giving trouble seemed to be spread across all of them not that that is much reassurance to the op.
    ring all the scrappies in the country and see if you can find a wrecked one somwhere with a useable engine.
    i'm a car free zone due to a thermostat and head gasket failure (but my cars a 98 with 150k on the clock) so i can sympathise

DukeDredd wrote: »
    Have ye not gotten rid of it yet maidhc?

For a long time now every time Toyota reliability comes up you mention this pig of an Avensis that ye own! Sounds like a "Monday morning" one to me.

Nope! Still have it! It hasn't actually ever cost us any money due to Toyotas utterly fantastic customer service! We had a previous Avensis too that saw a flatbed on more than one occasion. It isn't doing much mileage anymore, so the parents decided to keep it for the time being (as well as the fact they just dont care about cars!)

Have to mention it to counteract the "toyotas are wonderful comments" which isn't really true. The Avensis model in general has only been very average for all its life as regards reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Senna wrote: »
    Go forever no mater what, now thats a myth, but go longer than your average piece of euro poo, thats fact.
    Newer jap cars dont seem to have the same reliability and i'm guessing jap diesels ranges will be worse.

Well the problem in this case is that it's not really a "jap diesel" at all. I'm not sure exactly (Wikipedia says litte to nothing about this engine) but the engine either a Ford design or a PSA design (or a bit of both) with a Denso (japanese company) pump. However the pumps seem to be part of the problem... :confused:

Mazda seem to design their own diesels in the past - the ones offered in the 323, 626 and vans seemed to be their own work. Did they get lazy?

Mazda seem to design their own diesels in the past - the ones offered in the 323, 626 and vans seemed to be their own work. Did they get lazy?

No, but they realised their engines were always eons behind european ones... the comprex diesel in the 626 was pathetic by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

That, I'm afraid, is also a phrase that belongs in the past. Toyota are gone down hill too. Big time. If you want a reliable car, get a 10 year old Toyota or Honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Well the problem in this case is that it's not really a "jap diesel" at all. I'm not sure exactly (Wikipedia says litte to nothing about this engine) but the engine either a Ford design or a PSA design (or a bit of both) with a Denso (japanese company) pump. However the pumps seem to be part of the problem... :confused:

That engine has nothing in common with the Ford one. I'd still take the Mazda one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Hard luck galwaytt. Especially with a manufacturer that is normally excellent for reliability. I didn't even know about the problem with the Mazda diesel until today when I read the link, I just assumed it being a Mazda that it would never go wrong(then again I assumed that Mitsubishi's GDI engine would never go wrong either until I joined boards and found out what a complete disaster it is).

Toyotas are definately going downhill. The Auris is giving no end of trouble if Toyota forums are to be believed. The current Corolla inside feels as cheap as chips, and I presume it's the same as the Auris reliability wise. Toyota are cutting a lot of corners these days, I dread to think what the new Avensis will be like.

They were 7th in the JD Power survey, still better than 26 other makes of car, but they used to be just outside the top three before.

The problems with the diesel Mazda6 are eerily similar to the Mitsubishi GDI engine when it gets coked up.

Which brings me on to the next point. What's the point in all this new technology, when plainly it doesn't work? Do car makers not bother testing these new technologies to make sure that they work before bringing them to market?

The stories of some common rail diesels are horrific. Do other direct injection petrols go belly up too(apart from Mitsubishi's infamous GDI)?

For some reason it only affects certain manufacturers. I've never heard of Fiat common rail diesels going wrong, or Honda, Toyota, BMW(bar the 02-04 320d but that was a turbo problem) or Merc CR diesels either.

You would think with the passage of time that cars would get more reliable. Unfortunately they're going backwards, the fact that Japanese cars are not as reliable as before is a very bad sign, not to mention the well noted decline in reliability from VAG and especially Merc. They're well over 100 years old these days, they should have ironed out problems on cars a long time ago.

I thought Mazda designed their own diesels for the 6, don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Have to laugh at how "unreliable" Japanese cars have become all of a sudden.

Relax guys, the problem isn't that bad... the top 12 most reliable cars are all still Japanese.

E92 wrote: »
    For some reason it only affects certain manufacturers. I've never heard of Fiat common rail diesels going wrong, or Honda, Toyota, BMW(bar the 02-04 320d but that was a turbo problem) or Merc CR diesels either.

I know of two incurable Mercedes E Class diesels. One is languishing in a garage in cork for the past few months. I know an avensis that just got two new injectors. Indeed a Mondeo TDCI and an Avensis D4D all have an almost identical fuel system with both being manufactured by Delphi.

The reality is most problems with common rail diesels stem from misfueling, dirty diesel and other contamaninents. There is nothing special about petrol engines that will make them more reliable than diesels.

Finally I disagree strongly with people who say old cars were more reliable than modern ones. I am not old, but I remember when few cars attained 100k without needing serious money spent on them. Old Rover SD1s needed a rebuild every 60k miles and anyone who has any experience of old cars will know the constant fettling they need. Modern cars are simply incredible in comparison.

E92 wrote: »
    Which brings me on to the next point. What's the point in all this new technology, when plainly it doesn't work?

I'm sure they said the same thing about overhead camshafts, turbos, VVT, aluminium heads, electronic fuel injection, etc. when they were new technology.

And they definately said that about the Wankel engine! Mazda's first production car using Wankel engines (sorry, "rotary engines" :)) was the Cosmo in May 1967 - surprisingly several months before the infamous NSU Ro 80. Apparently at first they were not the most reliable motors around either, but they had certainly got the hang of them by the time the RX-7 came out.
    Do car makers not bother testing these new technologies to make sure that they work before bringing them to market?

If history has taught us anything, it's that they never seem to know how reliable they will be until they release them to the mass market. Sucks to be an early adopter, I guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

maidhc wrote: »
    Finally I disagree strongly with people who say old cars were more reliable than modern ones. I am not old, but I remember when few cars attained 100k without needing serious money spent on them. Old Rover SD1s needed a rebuild every 60k miles and anyone who has any experience of old cars will know the constant fettling they need. Modern cars are simply incredible in comparison.

I would agree and disagree at the same time :D

Really old cars were mostly a disaster. If a car clocked up 100.000 km without something major going wrong, that was the exception, not the rule.

Even the famed "goes on forever" Beetle was nowhre near as good as its reputation. The only reason why thousands of German tourists in the 50's and 60's (for the first time in their life) made it to holidays in Italy and back without major hassle was because you could get a replacement beetle engine at almost any filling station and any filling station attendant could fit it within a few hours :D

Cars reached their reliabilty peak in the late 80's / early nineties, when modern engineering techniques and computerised manufacturing were introduced in large scale, but electronics IN the car were kept to a minimum / non existent.

The Golf Mark II, Merc W124 and almost all Japanese cars from this period are classic examples of this and their makers live to this day on the reputation gained then.

These days car reliability is going downhill again, due to over-reliance on electronics (either to please the customer with the latest gadgets or to meet ever more stringent emmissions laws that stretch the possibilities of internal combustion engines to the technical limit) and extreme cost cutting or so called "synergy effects" accross multiple brands owned by the same parent company.

peasant wrote: »
    Cars reached their reliabilty peak in the late 80's / early nineties, when modern engineering techniques and computerised manufacturing were introduced in large scale, but electronics IN the car were kept to a minimum / non existent.

The Golf Mark II, Merc W124 and almost all Japanese cars from this period are classic examples of this and their makers live to this day on the reputation gained then.

Very fair point. Funnily enough one of the best selling tractors in Ireland in the past few years has been the NewHolland TM120/140 classic. This is essentially a "normal" tractor, but seriously devoid of electronics. It has been a massive hit with people looking for a no-nonsense machine with stuff like aircon and plenty HP, but that can be fixed in a field when something goes wrong.

I know the Dacia Logan is a bit like this, but I wonder how would a mainstream car fair?

True too about emissions legislation, the enginners seem to be flat to the mat trying to keep abreast of the pen pushers.

peasant wrote: »
    Cars reached their reliabilty peak in the late 80's / early nineties

Yes and no, to paraphrase your good self :)

You're not mentioning rust, which was still a big problem for most 80s cars (not galvanised), were they?

I've never had any electronics problems on my 12 year old BMW that's for sale. That said, I'm the first to acknowlegde it is a highly engineered car subsidised by huge profits BMW makes on lower end models

But to sponsor your point, my daily driver (138k miles and 22 years old) has no problems starting, driving and no worrying rust problems. All the important electronics (needed for safety) work, but some of the non-important ones don't. And my car is typical, not an exception.

You're not mentioning rust, which was still a big problem for most 80s cars (not galvanised), were they?

The Audi 80 had a galvanised body since 1987 AFAIK. A lot of Fiats (at least the Tipo anyway) went galvanised in the early '90s to try and make up for their apalling reputation from years of shítty Russian steel. But they've all but disappeared from our roads.

What are we still seeing? Feckin E90 Corollas, T170 Carina IIs, P70 Starlets, Mk. 3 Daihatsu Charades (sorry don't know the chassis codes for them :D), etc. - rust and all. Would I be wrong in assuming most Japanese cars from this era only really suffer from body panel rust, and nothing really structural? Then again I guess there were just more of these on the roads here in the first place...

The Audi 80 had a galvanised body since 1987 AFAIK

Indeed. My father bought a brand new Audi 80 in the early 90s. His first car protected from rust from the start, although he had several of his previous cars galvanised himself.

My car is a '86 and it is galvanised. Most cars back then were not :)

• Advertisement

My car is a '86 and it is galvanised. Most cars back then were not :)

My 74 Capri certainly isn't! Im actually amazed it still exists at all.

Advertisement