Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this high miles for a diesel considering the price?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

109k miles is not high mileage for a 7 year old diesel car imo. That works out at less than 20k miles a year. Make sure it has a service history to back that mileage up, as with buying any car have it fully checked out by a mechanic. Any UK car should have a HPI check ran against it.

Also regarding having problems getting guys in the UK to agree to an AA inspection. If they have nothing to hide and the car is sound then they should have no problem with an AA inspection. If they do have a problem then tell them good bye and take car. Move on to the next car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Thanks for the advice on the miles baz
    Will look for the fsh like you were saying if i go to see it/
    Haven't asked the guy in the uk about getting this one inspected so will walk as you say if he doesn't dig that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

I think it might be slightly over priced. I'm looking at a 01 saloon with 114k miles for €6500

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If that car has had it's services done more or less on time and the timing belt was done around 60k there's no reason why you wouldn't do another 100k miles with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

seems like a lot of money to me tbh.

I can't get rid of my (new shape) primera for love nor money and it's a 2002 with only slightly more miles on it (116k) going for €6k.

I just don't think anyone is buying cars at the minute.

sorry, that was a bit of a shameless plug. :)
    promethius wrote: »
    Haven't asked the guy in the uk about getting this one inspected so will walk as you say if he doesn't dig that.

as a bit of redemption for my shameless plug, check out https://www.car-checkers.co.uk/ to do your inspection for you if you need one doing (which you'd have to be mad not to). I recently bought a car in the UK and they were great. My girlfriend actually got their name from a woman at the AA when she called about getting them to do our inspection, but she couldn't get us a number for their inspections department that we could ring from Ireland. She told my g/f that "car checkers" is the company that the AA sub-contract all their inspection work to anyway, so it would end up being done by the same person, but without the AA's commission on top.

the inspections start at £99 for the basic one, but we went for the works so it cost us more but it was well worth it. I got a 16 page report telling me EVERY little thing from the depth and make/model of the tread on all 5 tyres to the fact that the headlight washers and interior passenger vanity mirror light wasn't working, he didn't miss a single thing and even took it for a 10 mile test drive. highly recommended and they gave me a verbal thumbs up on the phone as soon as the inspection was finished and emailed me the full report the next morning.

it was a Jap import and they did a full data check on it back to the point it was imported into the UK and the seller had a bimta cert for the Jap history verifying mileage and history before that so it was grand.

Anyway, I can't recommend car checkers enough, they did a stunning job and if I ever import anything else from the UK I'll be getting them to do the inspections.

• Advertisement

The irish passat is gone so out of the equation.
    The english guy is happy to have the inspection done, the timing belt hasn't been done on the car and it's at 77k, from what i can see VW say to do at 80k but 60k is more sensible. Anyone know what the cost on the timing belt change would be?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

promethius wrote: »
    The irish passat is gone so out of the equation.
    The english guy is happy to have the inspection done, the timing belt hasn't been done on the car and it's at 77k, from what i can see VW say to do at 80k but 60k is more sensible. Anyone know what the cost on the timing belt change would be?
    Thanks

Yes I would have it changed to be safe. Can be expensive on that model Passat as the engine is mounted length ways which makes it more difficult to get at. Also depends on who does it, a main dealer would probably charge more in labour per hour than say an independant mechanic. Get a few quotes is the best thing and then use it as a haggling point with the seller on the purchase price.

Called a few main dealers and it's about eu600.
    Also asked them what the time for changing was, one said 80k, one said 80k petrol and 60k diesel, another said 60k for petrol and diesel!
    I'd likely go to an independent tbh, just wanted to check interval for belt.
    Like the car so if i was happy that the interval was 80k and was thus safe to drive it back and get it done i'd proceed in the checking process.
    Agree with you Baz on the tactic with the dealer on the cost of the replacement.
    thanks

Been onto the dealer on the english car and he says he will deduct the price of the belt change from the total and i can get it done myself (he said he could do it but in terms of logistics it's easier for me to get it done myself) I would get it done straight away once back but have this terrible vision in my head of the belt going on the way back home!
    Advice? Is it a risk worth taking? Just heard from another VW garage and they say the belt should be done at 40k, there seems to be no consistency among even the dealers

Advertisement