Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Removing shirt

• 02-04-2008 7:29am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why the hell do players insist on doing this when it's a guaranteed yellow card? What possible purpose does it serve to take off your jersey and swing it over your head other than to put pressure on yourself to behave for the rest of the match?
    Is it sheer congenital idiocy or is there some historic reason they do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It should be allowed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I think players writing political slogans and the likes on their vests is one of the reasons why they started punishing this.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    I think players writing political slogans and the likes on their vests is one of the reasons why they started punishing this.

Nah it was the sight of Ryan Giggs' hairy chest that did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i'm pretty sure it's because they don't want players making political or religious statements with something written on the shirt underneath, that we often see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

hmmm, I also thought it was exposing the chest rather than having something written on a tshirt. wasnt Uwe Rosler one of the first to be yellow carded for it? Xavi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nah it was the sight of Ryan Giggs' hairy chest that did it.

Wasn't that an ad for Des Kelly Carpets ??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    Wasn't that an ad for Des Kelly Carpets ??:D
    Giggzy 4 Boez!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It should be allowed imo.
    Xavi6 likes looking at naked men!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Stops players like Ian Wright wearing multiple shirts and getting confused about which one to reveal after he scores. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

I can only imagine a player has a mini explosion inside the head and momentarily turns neanderthal (sp?) when he scores. Especially when it's such a crucial goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Dunno what the point of it is sometimes...... Defoe took off his shirt on the weekend and he was just wearing a plain blue top underneath :confused: Got booked for it too, pointless.

hanton12 wrote: »
    hmmm, I also thought it was exposing the chest rather than having something written on a tshirt. wasnt Uwe Rosler one of the first to be yellow carded for it? Xavi?

I actually haven't a clue tbh
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Xavi6 likes looking at naked men!!! :p

Ha ha rumbled.

But seriously, I think it should be allowed because I like players who just do off the cuff things when expressing their emotion at scoring a goal. Whether it's taking off their shirt, getting on all fours and waddling like a duck or knighting somebody with a corner flag, it should all be allowed.

But seriously, I think it should be allowed because I like players who just do off the cuff things when expressing their emotion at scoring a goal. Whether it's taking off their shirt, getting on all fours and waddling like a duck or knighting somebody with a corner flag, it should all be allowed.

Any limits? Would ya allow religious and political messages to be transmitted in that manner? I presume you wouldn't allow sexual references

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Any limits? Would ya allow religious and political messages to be transmitted in that manner? I presume you wouldn't allow sexual references

Ah come on, surely you realise I didn't mean crossing boundaries like that. Obviously Fowler-touchline-sniffing-esque celebrations are a no go but the fun stuff shouldn't be banned.

fair enough, just wanted to push ya :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

hanton12 wrote: »

Then players shouldn't be allowed exchange shirt after a game.

It's a ridiculous rule that should be removed. The game is being stifled enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Ah come on, surely you realise I didn't mean crossing boundaries like that. Obviously Fowler-touchline-sniffing-esque celebrations are a no go but the fun stuff shouldn't be banned.

meh... it's not difficult, for the non intellectually challenged at least, to come up with an alternative to taking off the shirt. the rules in place, and stupid or not, the players should grow the fuck up frankly.

Totally out of character for me but i did it when i saved a penalty in a shootout to take us to a semi final of a cup. I ran around like a headless chicken and just wanted to swing my shirt around over my head. It's not something i planned to do it just happened with all the adrenlin bursting inside. We lost the semi's after countless goalkeeping errors :o

Dun laoire wrote: »
    Totally out of character for me but i did it when i saved a penalty in a shootout to take us to a semi final of a cup. I ran around like a headless chicken and just wanted to swing my shirt around over my head. It's not something i planned to do it just happened with all the adrenlin bursting inside. We lost the semi's after countless goalkeeping errors :o
    Your team should have forfeitted that match tbh.

Your antics have no place on a soccer pitch.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I think it came about the season after Forlan took his shirt off and spent the next like 15 mins trying to put it back on. Probably could have helped in their decision.

As for doing it I think it should be allowed if you score the winner in the 92nd minute of the Champions League final, you are not going to think oh better not do that as I will get a yelow card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

In fairness its hardly a guaranteed card, it depends on whether the ref is a spa or not.

Ribery did it when he scored against England and had some tribute to a recently deceased sports journo underneath. Im nearly certain Drogba did it last week as well, and also ran up to the crowd.
    Obviously Fowler-touchline-sniffing-esque celebrations are a no go but the fun stuff shouldn't be banned.

Meh, I still think it was funny :) Ditto Bellamy and his goal putt celebration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Dunno what the point of it is sometimes...... Defoe took off his shirt on the weekend and he was just wearing a plain blue top underneath :confused: Got booked for it too, pointless.

ya and he cost me 1 fantasy football point :mad:

I can see it now...all the lads shouting..."NO you moron, leave your shirt on you just cost me fantasy footie points" and the ladies shouting "GET THEM OFF YA GOOD THING...!!!!!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They should make backflips and the like a booking as well.

It's all just agents telling players to show off in order to grab the limelight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭jacool

I can see that Drogba's was a pure release of emotion after scoring v Arsenal, so I was a little disappointed that he didn't do it again after the second goal !! As its a rule, then if it is applied correctly then its a booking. Its probably the only one refs apply correctly. That's the main problem. But as to should it be a booking I'd say no, but the Nike jersey within a jersey that Forlan got lost in was hilarious. I think that's why he never bothered scoring again for United !

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    and the ladies shouting "GET THEM OFF YA GOOD THING...!!!!!!!!"
    Not just the ladies, Xavi6 too.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not just the ladies, Xavi6 too.
    And Mr Alan when it's Torres.

And me when it's Hunty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I remember seeing Juninho delay a World Cup match for about 4 minutes when he got tangled up in his shirt.

DesF wrote: »
    And Mr Alan when it's Torres.

And me when it's Hunty.
    Well Mr Alan can be forgiven as Torres is a girly man, but Hunty?? CAPTAIN CAVEMAAAAAAAN!!!
    I think it's the hair that does it for ya Des

DesF wrote: »
    Your team should have forfeitted that match tbh.

Your antics have no place on a soccer pitch.

:rolleyes:

You're funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

shane86 wrote: »
    In fairness its hardly a guaranteed card, it depends on whether the ref is a spa or not.

no according to the rules the removal of the shirt for a celebration gets an automatic yellow! i dont get it, i originally thaught it was the exposure of the nipples (indecent exposure) then it was changed because its like going into the crowd, it riles them up too much when they are swinging the jersys....apparantly!!

i originally thaught it was the exposure of the nipples

If you tweek them it should be red (the card, not the nipples).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As they are going around, can I have some thanks please?

Thanks.

thanks

Thanks.

thanks.

• Advertisement

A full stop this time? Nice.

Thanks.

Variety is the spice of life

thanks v.much

Have you some kind of moral objection to using a capital T? All I want is a proper thanks. You ****.

Thanks all the same though.

That would be Tantamount to Taunting.

thanks.

Dammit! Now I'm too proud of you to be mad at you.

Wanna go for some scuba?

• Advertisement

That would be delightful.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

no according to the rules the removal of the shirt for a celebration gets an automatic yellow!

According to the rules, yes.

According to reality it doesnt seem to be.

A bit like the way technically a foul in the peno box is the same as any other foul elsewhere , but in reality to actually get a spot kick out of it the defending player has to attempt to murder or seriously wound the attacking player.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Galvasean wrote: »
    I remember seeing Juninho delay a World Cup match for about 4 minutes when he got tangled up in his shirt.

ah but sure it was only the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

after seeing Ribery's shirt message the other day I had a thought...

you have to score to show that message and its not guaranteed that they'll get a goal.
    there must be players who never get to reveal their message.
    i wonder how many times did diego forlan wear a vest saying : "i knew it would be today"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's still OK to do a Ravenelli, right?

It's still OK to do a Ravenelli, right?

Pretty sure that's a bookable offence too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

I really don't understand the booking for goal celebrations. Football is a passionate game, surely the referees are smart enough to use their heads in deciding what is and isn't unsportsmanlike.

Syke wrote: »
    I really don't understand the booking for goal celebrations. Football is a passionate game, surely the referees are smart enough to use their heads in deciding what is and isn't unsportsmanlike.

There's the hole in your argument I'm afraid.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Isn't the automatic yellow in relation to complaints from the sponsors/shirt makers.

If the player takes his shirt off its removing the sponsors logo from absolute certain up-close coverage as the camera will defo be on the goalscorer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement