Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Att: Boardsies in Oz

Options
  • 02-04-2008 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

I know there are a good few people from Boards here in Australia so just want to make you aware of a current scam involving ANZ's internet banking.

A group have been sending around hoax emails telling you that your account has been frozen and requesting you to log in to the site in order to reactivate it. My girlfriend did this and we subsequently had $980 dollars stolen from our savings account with a further $980 scheduled for tomorrow. They had taken her details and changed her passwords etc so they effectively had free run of our accounts.

I have spent the day on the phone to ANZ and they have assured me that my money is covered by insurance and I will get it back within three weeks once I get a statutory declaration done saying I never make the transactions.

Anyway, I know it's not relevent to the majority here but if it even helps one or two people I'll be happy as it's not the nicest thing to realise you've been had.

This is the text of the email. Unfortunately I didn't get to read it before she responded as the poor grammar would have given it away to me -
    Attention! Security Update

Dear ANZ Bank user:

We have added new security features to make ANZ Bank safer than ever.
    Of course, security is an ongoing priority. So we've added some great
    new services to make ANZ Bank safer than ever. Here are just some of the
    ways that ANZ Bank protects your funds and personal information.

Customer Registration Number
    Password
    New Email Alerts and Bank Messages
    Additional Logins
    In order to confirm your account and to preserve the account stability, you are required to login to your account using the following link below:
    www.anz.com/inetbank/bankmain.asp

Attention! if you will not activate new security system within one week we will have to temporary lock your account until your personality will be identified

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Unfortunately, this is becoming all too common for almost every bank these days.

Remember folks: banks will NEVER ask for this kind of information via email, and you should never disclose it. The scammers rely on people's instinctive urge to panic when it comes to their bank account.

If you get a communication from your bank that your weren't expecting hold off a couple of minutes and think about it. Ask questions - Does your bank even have your email address? Wouldn't they *write* to you, if they were going to update their systems in such a major way?

Last of all, don't be afraid to ring them up and confirm it's a valid mail. They'd much rather you do that than have to clear up a fraud case after! :)

Advertisement