Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting down decking tomorrow...any last minute tips??

Options
  • 02-04-2008 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

So, starting to put down about 25 sq m of decking tomorrow and aiming to finish by Monday evening. Relatively flat surface (coming out from the house). I have all the materials (I think!) and my Dad is assiting me (or I'm assisting him as he;s put down decking seevral times before). Have the timber, the decking, the tools (no nail gun unfortunately), the screws, the weed cover, the spirit level and extra labour on Saturday and Sunday.
    If anyone here has laid decking recently - was there anything that you wished you'd thought of before you'd started?

Cheers in advance - wish me luck!

PS - I also have two killer cocker spaniels to naturally dispose of the monstrous vermin that will take residence in their new home...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I would say the most important part would be building the sub frame, getting the spacing of the deck boards right. That and making sure the boards are firmly nailed down to avoid springing, and a run off for drainage. Will you be staining your deck? Hope you get good weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

what are you using to support the subframe ? you haven't mentioned that in your material list !

for best results - i have found - dig out small foundation holes at 1.5 m centres. approx 8 inches concrete in each, lay block on flat and level across all points. place sub frame on these blocks and fix using 4 inch galvanised steel L brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I just remember our's! knee pads help. + if you are putting down any decking lighting (which does look really good) put the cables down first before the wood.

Garyh3

Advertisement