Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No more adverts for me :)

• 02-04-2008 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

I used to use dvredit when I had MCE 2005. Since upgrading to a dedicated HTPC under the telly which uses Vista, I rarely use this as a desktop PC so don't get to trim the adverts like before. I searched around the web many times for another solution and have found something even better than what I looked for.

Lifextender

Running manually, you can kick this off and it will go through all your recordings and will trim all adverts out:D. You can backup the original dvr-ms' too. And you can schedule it to run many different ways, including when new files get added (after new recordings). I have tested this using the manual scan and it trimmed most adverts out perfectly. It never cut what it shouldn't have just kept the odd advert. I have it setup now to trim out todays recordings so fingers crossed if that works it'll be deadly!!!:p

I had a question for the guy who wrote it and it was answered the next day. Great support and free!! Way to go!

Definitely worth a try if you use Vista for recording. XP isn't supported but can work according to the faq.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

^Stickified. Good find!

One other "lifextender" that I havn't seen (or actively looked for to be honest) is the ability to speed up programing by say 1.2x or 1.5x but keep the sound pitch the same so that it doesnt sound like you are watching the chipmunks. Its one feature that I really miss from MythTV,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Just downloaded this now. Scanning my library as we speak. Hopefully it will do the trick, could never get DVRMS Toolbox working properly for myself.

It wouldn't run on my machine until I disabled UAC. Couldn't even start the program. Hopefully all's well now.

This works great, thanks for the link bazwaldo!

Found all my commercials, did leave the odd sponsored by message in but that doesn't bother me too much. Works away with no fuss or playing with settings required.

Thanks again

Brian

On closer inspection...

Works with RTE 2, BBC One, ITV, TG4.

Doesn't seem to work with TV3. I had the Transporter 2 and Dirty Money recorded and it didn't remove the adds on either.

These are the only channels I had content recorded from.

Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I've let it go through all my recordings (must have been 150 or so) and sometimes its worked perfect and sometimes not at all.

My TV3 recordings were inconsistent. All Saints stripped well, Oprah sometimes (for the mrs, honest). I haven't had time to watch much yet but the length was reduced as if no ads on most shows. I'll try go through some more recordings over the weekend to spot a pattern.

Currently I have it doing the stripping straight after the show. I'll have to see how thats get on over the next while.

• Advertisement

Ah it's a great feature anyway. I taped Face Off on RTE 2 and it plays more or less straight true. No adds, one or two of them RTE 2 screens but they don't bothe me too much!

Weird about TV3...

Oh, another thing i found was that if there was ads on before the programme started (if the recording started a minute early), it didn't pick up on them. No big deal tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Just installed it and its Great. Again all the TV3 Commercials didn't get erased all the time but otherwise it worked excellently!!!

FYI, it won't work with TVPack on Vista or Win7. :(

^Stickified. Good find!

One other "lifextender" that I havn't seen (or actively looked for to be honest) is the ability to speed up programing by say 1.2x or 1.5x but keep the sound pitch the same so that it doesnt sound like you are watching the chipmunks. Its one feature that I really miss from MythTV,

Win7 has speed up viewing and the sound is great. Just hit ffwd while watching a recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 pauliewha

Try comskip it works a treat and has H.264 support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

bazwaldo wrote: »
    I...

Lifextender
    BB cream is recommended for sensitive skin
    not quite what i was looking for... link broken

Advertisement