Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

irish-stew wrote: »
    I love a good steak sandwich, all the better on a garlic butter ciabattia.

Had one in the Belfry Bar, but they added mayo.

:eek:

This one had garlic mayo,would reccommend it though,and I don't like mayo :eek:

Was in the Silver Apple the other night,without a doubt the best meal I've eaten in a long time.
    Had a king prawn riggatoni for starter with leeks and saffron cream. Was delicious.
    Then i had a chicken basque style,which was a chicken breast on the bone in a red pepper sauce with chorizo and tiny fried potatoes in garlic butter. It was unbelievable,and fine pints of Heinken.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

wondering about Henrys of Cashelgarron since they are now under new management - are they still as good as they used to be? always thought they were great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

between hargadans and Donaghy's thtas lunch and dinner sewn up in the town.

breakfasts can be a bit undependable mind you, depending on what ya looking for... I used to swear by the rooftop, but then they musta changed chefs cos it went downhill.

Castro's was also very good for a light lunch back in the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Breakfast was discussed on another thread sometime ago, Pepper Alley on rockwood parade was one of the popular places, as was O'Hares (spelling) i think.

Its something i go in serch of ocassioanlly with varying results.

:D

• Advertisement

wolf99 wrote: »
    between hargadans and Donaghy's thtas lunch and dinner sewn up in the town.

breakfasts can be a bit undependable mind you, depending on what ya looking for... I used to swear by the rooftop, but then they musta changed chefs cos it went downhill.

Castro's was also very good for a light lunch back in the day :)
    Four lights is the best breakfast in the town by a mile,try it,I dare you.
    irish-stew wrote: »
    Breakfast was discussed on another thread sometime ago, Pepper Alley on rockwood parade was one of the popular places, as was O'Hares (spelling) i think.

Its something i go in serch of ocassioanlly with varying results.

:D

O'Hehir's I do believe kind sir.
    Pepper Alley isn't the best nowadays I feel.

Jeez wasn't in o'hehir's since shortly after they done it up from the bakery, must try it when Im back.

Also worth a try is the sandwiches and soup from that bakery opposite shenanigans, forget the name o it now but they are to die for a lunch on the go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

wolf99 wrote: »
    Jeez wasn't in o'hehir's since shortly after they done it up from the bakery, must try it when Im back.

Also worth a try is the sandwiches and soup from that bakery opposite shenanigans, forget the name o it now but they are to die for a lunch on the go!

The Gourmet Parlour.

Must try the 4 Lanterns brekkie, would feel quite weird sitting there scoffing a fry mind!

Was in Poppadum on O'Connell St last week for the early bird special and it was yum - they do 2 courses for €18 (I think that's what it was), and the variety is great.

worked in the laights for two years, dont think I could look a big four in the face.

4Am, cue the 'fun': "cuuuuuurrrry chip there sham."

The Gourmet Parlour.

Must try the 4 Lanterns brekkie, would feel quite weird sitting there scoffing a fry mind!

Was in Poppadum on O'Connell St last week for the early bird special and it was yum - they do 2 courses for €18 (I think that's what it was), and the variety is great.

I swear the breakfast is class,served on a proper plate with proper knives and forks,wasn't expecting it :pac:
    Love the soup in the Gourmet Parlour. Chicken and Veg or the Potato and Leek is to die for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Was in John The Fish's restaurant, Reddy's/Reidy's??, in what used to be Gurn's City Bar on Stephen Street.

Top Notch. Was seriously impressed and would'nt hesitate heading back.

(Can anyone remind me what the original lounge was called, something Lounge but for the life of me I can't recall. Should really as I lived above it for a year.)

Paid another visit to Popadoms last Saturday night, still lovely curries and great value. Lovely looking & friendly couple of lassies working there. Recommended.

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Was in John The Fish's restaurant, Reddy's/Reidy's??, in what used to be Gurn's City Bar on Stephen Street.

Top Notch. Was seriously impressed and would'nt hesitate heading back.

(Can anyone remind me what the original lounge was called, something Lounge but for the life of me I can't recall. Should really as I lived above it for a year.)

Paid another visit to Popadoms last Saturday night, still lovely curries and great value. Lovely looking & friendly couple of lassies working there. Recommended.

My parents have been going to Reidy's lately,they're impressed big time.
    I still think Classic India is by far the best Indian in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

What kind of food do they serve in Reidy's and what price range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

greetings wrote: »
    My parents have been going to Reidy's lately,they're impressed big time.
    I still think Classic India is by far the best Indian in the town.

From reading a lot of your posts on this thread I have one remark regards you.

Do you ever eat in??? You seem to have sampled everywhere:eek:

I can't remember the last time I ate out in Sligo as I've not been there for a while. I think it might have been Trá Ban at the beginning of Summer, have to say it was a delicious meal but quite pricey.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    From reading a lot of your posts on this thread I have one remark regards you.

Do you ever eat in??? You seem to have sampled everywhere:eek:

I can't remember the last time I ate out in Sligo as I've not been there for a while. I think it might have been Trá Ban at the beginning of Summer, have to say it was a delicious meal but quite pricey.

Haha apologies,I have been out a bit lately in fairness but never used to. Tra Ban is lovely. I love the starter of the prawns and noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Haha apologies,I have been out a bit lately in fairness but never used to. Tra Ban is lovely. I love the starter of the prawns and noodles.

No need to apologise.

I can't even remember what I had to eat in Tra Ban but I know it was damn good :D

Actually, my memory of what I usually have when eating out isn't that great.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    No need to apologise.

I can't even remember what I had to eat in Tra Ban but I know it was damn good :D

Actually, my memory of what I usually have when eating out isn't that great.

I have some sort of strange obsession with food. I'll remember what I had in a place because when I'm bored and hungry I'll often dream about how much I'd like some of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

Cecil Mor wrote: »

Was it "The Punchbowl"? That's what I immediately thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There's a new Chinese takeaway opened beside P Borza on Mail Coach Road.. it's called 'Great' (or 'GrEat' or 'grEat'.. there's some odd capitalisation in there somewhere).

Am trying it tonight, so will be back with my 2 cents later.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Oh good stuff! I saw they did salted shredded chilli chicken or something like that, sounds flippin' deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 splitz

Whatever you do this Christmas stay away from 'Henry's' in Cashelgarron - Mr Henry himself is no longer there and boy has it suffered! I went there for a so-called 'Christmas do' and the place was empty except us.... not surprising as the food was abysmal; 'chicken roulade' from the Christmas set meal with soggy sprouts and black carrots. Yeuk. Even the coffee was tasteless. Worse part is if you're in a group you can't complain, just one of those social niceties, but not one person said anything was good and there were 25 of us!! I'lll ask them what they really thought after the holiday, as the girl who picked it is going to feel terrible.

Best restaurant by a mile: 'Monte Marte'. No more expensive than the safe-but boring-Davis' (favourite place in town to bring your elderly aunt seemingly), but the food is in another league, and my daughter thinks the french waiters are gorgeous - they certainly make you feel special!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

basquille wrote: »
    There's a new Chinese takeaway opened beside P Borza on Mail Coach Road.. it's called 'Great' (or 'GrEat' or 'grEat'.. there's some odd capitalisation in there somewhere).

Am trying it tonight, so will be back with my 2 cents later.

And the Verdict is??? Am tempted to try it over the wkend.....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    And the Verdict is??? Am tempted to try it over the wkend.....
    Sorry, yeah.. forgot to let ye know.

It's nice, but still comes second to Peking House in my mind.

I had a Chop Suey (since it comes with all meats) - meat not nearly as moist and succulent as Peking House, but their chop suey sauce was very tasty.

Chips are top-notch however.. homemade - nyum!

I think Sakura has to be the best Chinese,gonna try the new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

ye are all crazy mandarin court is by far the best chinese in sligo,
    and probaly the best chinese i have eaten in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

splitz wrote: »
    Best restaurant by a mile: 'Monte Marte'. No more expensive than the safe-but boring-Davis' (favourite place in town to bring your elderly aunt seemingly), but the food is in another league, and my daughter thinks the french waiters are gorgeous - they certainly make you feel special!

Montmarte? I always used to pass there and assumed it was very expensive, but the prices are in the same league as Davis'?

I think Davis' are very fortuitous due to their location.

ye are all crazy mandarin court is by far the best chinese in sligo,
    and probaly the best chinese i have eaten in ireland
    Without a doubt, the Mandarin beats any Chinese in the town.. and probably the province.. hands down!

But they're pricey for a Chinese takeaway.. you basically pay the sitdown price (€14 - €20 a dish).

basquille wrote: »
    Without a doubt, the Mandarin beats any Chinese in the town.. and probably the province.. hands down!

But they're pricey for a Chinese takeaway.. you basically pay the sitdown price (€14 - €20 a dish).
    thats true it is a bit pricey but you pay for what you get
    after reading through this thread i am only really after noticing
    all the good restaurants in the sligo area
    mandarin best chinese i have eaten in ireland
    bistro best pizza i have eaten in ireland
    and mc nean house is only up the road in blacklion best restaurant in ireland hands down!!!!(if you have never eaten here it is a must)
    i think the a la carte menu is about a 6 month waiting list
    i think you can get sunday lunch quicker bout 6 weeks

I think the curry is better in Sakura than Mandarin,perhaps overall it's better. Getting a Classic India tonight,best Indian I have ever eaten.

• Advertisement

I think the curry is better in Sakura than Mandarin,perhaps overall it's better. Getting a Classic India tonight,best Indian I have ever eaten.
    must give it a try never been.dont get indian too often but when i do i go to popadoms

Advertisement