Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Oh toscana is aa lovely wee spot.
    Well thats what you get along with clean rural living: less competition, leading to higher prices for less (Also town hasn't reached critical mass for such competition to be viable)

Ah,Well. Mind you if I've to factor in a trip to dublin every time I want a cheap decent meal, thats an extra E44 by train plus taxis! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

wolf99 wrote: »
    Oh toscana is aa lovely wee spot.
    Well thats what you get along with clean rural living: less competition, leading to higher prices for less (Also town hasn't reached critical mass for such competition to be viable)

Ah,Well. Mind you if I've to factor in a trip to dublin every time I want a cheap decent meal, thats an extra E44 by train plus taxis! :o

That's very true, although I think I'd get more of a fill in Bistro Bianconi that Source and more than likely for less money. I don't however agree with the horrid amounts of toppings they slap on top of those poor, thin little whisps of bases, but if you customize your own pizza like I do, it can turn into the best pizza eating experience you'll have in a long time!
    Never seen that many toppings suffocating a pizza in Italy.. But atleast it's value for money and I'm sure if you hid a small contaner in your bag, you could shake half of the contents of your pizza into it and have sandwich fillers for a week :P

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Too true, trying to eat one of those beasts politely is impossible, stuff just goes everywhere....Maybe a more substantial base is required, but I guess that wouldn't be to everyone's taste either.

Too true, trying to eat one of those beasts politely is impossible, stuff just goes everywhere....Maybe a more substantial base is required, but I guess that wouldn't be to everyone's taste either.

Trust me when I say the only thing marginally authentic about the Bistro is their thin bases.. I still don't think they are very much more than a thin base as the texture to an authentic Italian base isn't quite the same. Alot smaller air bubbles are found in the Italian..
    I mean look at the Bistro's 'Caesar Salad'. Everyone should know abasic Caesar's salad consists of only a few things; Cos lettuce, croutons, parmesan cheese and a dressing consisting of olive oil, lemon juice, egg, a dash of Worchester sauce and pepper to taste.

The Bistro have this ****ing abomination of a salad titled the Caesar Salad that contains mixed leaves and Spanish onions? Why in God's name did they put onions in it? Also a mound of bacon is flung on top but the onions baffle me. Not to mention the way they are "cut".. Aka They quarter an onion and fling it through the salad.
    I know it sounds like I'm being a little harsh, but I suppose you'd really have to have been there when I got the thing. Maybe one of the chef's was having a bad day but I haven't eaten a salad from there since.

Some interpretations of Italian meals that come out of the Bistro are beyond poor. I wouldn't have such an issue with it if they didn't make such a DEAL of being authentic Italian...

They seem to think serving a few jarred olives and slices of baguette as an appetizer makes you authentic Italian..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

@wolf99 just ASK HER already. I'll cook you both a bloody Italian, I'll even put on a crappy accent. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

catreyn wrote: »

Dine Inn in Quayside is very very nice, much better than it's previous incarnation (The Cornerhouse I think?), owner was on Dragon's Den selling his line of sauces.
    !

The owner that was on dragon's den is the owner of Dine inn. He was also the owner if the cornerhouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

montmarte, is that the place in market yard? was there absolute donkeys years ago and it was lovely think they've re-opened twice since then though.

there and the silver apple are on the top of my to do list so :)

EDIT: Ironically there is now a mcdonalds eurosaver advert playing at the bottom of this thread when I view it!! LOL

I don't recall Montmarte every shutting down? They do close for January though,maybe that's what you're thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Lornen wrote: »
    Some interpretations of Italian meals that come out of the Bistro are beyond poor. I wouldn't have such an issue with it if they didn't make such a DEAL of being authentic Italian...

Do they though? I always considered to be loosely Italian inspired but I didn't think they ever claimed to be authentic. I absolutely adore Bistro pizzas with their gooey toppings. I guess it's all down to personal taste.

I've read the menu for Source and am shocked by the prices. When I was in Slovenia a large gnocchi with Gorgonzola cost €5.50, here it's €15???

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    The owner that was on dragon's den is the owner of Dine inn. He was also the owner if the cornerhouse.

Think there is now a Chinese restaurant now called Ho's instead of Dine Inn?
    It could be beside Dine Inn but I was nearly certain it has taken it's place..
    Also, do forgive me if that isn't the right name, was in a pub when I heard it being bellowed about. But yeah, I definitely saw an Asian woman cooking some satay skewers for handing out for people to try some weeks before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Restarant prices are genually high, not sure if its due to inflated prices during the boom times, and are now either to selfish to bring them down, or over heads are still high. You go out in mainland europe and you can get a three course meal for the same price a main course and drink here.
    Also, do forgive me if that isn't the right name, was in a pub when I heard it being bellowed about. But yeah, I definitely saw an Asian woman cooking some satay skewers for handing out for people to try some weeks before Christmas.

Were they free samples, missed that. I do like a bit of satay.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Just looking back on this thread and found below. Thats from a while back i'm nearly sure they changed the name to dine in not sure. I'll be in tomomorrow and have a look
    Culchie wrote: »
    Same people own it.... Cornerhouse by day, Tom Yam by night. Different offer for different market, very clever.

Truley wrote: »
    Do they though? I always considered to be loosely Italian inspired but I didn't think they ever claimed to be authentic. I absolutely adore Bistro pizzas with their gooey toppings. I guess it's all down to personal taste.

I've read the menu for Source and am shocked by the prices. When I was in Slovenia a large gnocchi with Gorgonzola cost €5.50, here it's €15???

They say they make classic and contemporary Italian food. They play Italian music and their dishes names are written in Italian.. Seems like they're trying to BOAST the fact they do everything like 'Mama use to make'

Their 'Napoli' pizza doesn't even have anchovies on it.
    Their 'Capricciosa' is missing artichokes, but their 'Quatro Stagioni' includes artichokes. Which is odd because those pizza's are in fact, the same one, except with a 'Quatro Stagioni' the ingredients aren't spread across the pizza, but sectioned. Hence the name 'Four Seasons'.. So it's done in quarters..

Things like that bother me a bit.
    Silly? Some might think so but they leave out the right ingredients here, and they put in the wrong ingredients there.. Just a bit careless.

I sound like I HATE the Bistro :P But I don't! You won't ever find me refuse a Musti's Garlic and Chilli Parcel or a Margherita with chilli/lime sauce and some salame :) Best. Combo. EVER.

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Just looking back on this thread and found below. Thats from a while back i'm nearly sure they changed the name to dine in not sure. I'll be in tomomorrow and have a look

Tom Yam is gone absolutely ages now!
    It closed way back. Good food but small portions at high prices don't work when people think you're just a "new chinese place in town"

Also, got some chicken dish and they thinly shredded what appeared to be lime leaves over my whole main.. Lime leaves.. Are very, bloody, chewy.

Make good tooth floss for afters though!

(Just checked out Tom Yam on 'JustEat.ie' and it says it's open only one day a week. A Wednesday from 5:30 p.m til 11:00 p.m?! Don't know if that is actually right but, a bit random.. Wednesday night only? Doesn't make much sense)

irish-stew wrote: »
    Restarant prices are genually high, not sure if its due to inflated prices during the boom times, and are now either to selfish to bring them down, or over heads are still high. You go out in mainland europe and you can get a three course meal for the same price a main course and drink here.

They were indeed free samples. No one was taking them off her and I was on my own so didn't want to head over and look a sap.. But boy was I tempted. Smells absolutely LOVELY, especially it being exceptionally cold and the food was piping hot judging by the level of steam coming off her little cooking tray. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

irish-stew wrote: »

myth food prices in ireland are not that high.i travel through out europe reguarly i lived in italy it is more or less the same as ireland for eating out bout 50 for starter main dessert and a glass of vino.bistro pizza are alright actually you should only have 3 toppings max on a pizza irish people are just greedy and want 5 or 6 toppings.stop putting chicken on pizza irish people it is not meant to be!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Was in John The Fish's restaurant, Reddy's/Reidy's??, in what used to be Gurn's City Bar on Stephen Street.

Top Notch. Was seriously impressed and would'nt hesitate heading back.

(Can anyone remind me what the original lounge was called, something Lounge but for the life of me I can't recall. Should really as I lived above it for a year.)

Paid another visit to Popadoms last Saturday night, still lovely curries and great value. Lovely looking & friendly couple of lassies working there. Recommended.

Tried Popadoms this week for a takeout...Have to say I was disappointed as I like an Indian meal. It was tepid and the meat in the dishes was large chunks no texture . The sauces were bland, hot but no real flavour that stood out. The starter was cold and just a mush. Only good thing I can say was that the rice was excellented cooked... I dont think I will go back, for a long while at least

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

myth food prices in ireland are not that high.i travel through out europe reguarly i lived in italy it is more or less the same as ireland for eating out bout 50 for starter main dessert and a glass of vino.bistro pizza are alright actually you should only have 3 toppings max on a pizza irish people are just greedy and want 5 or 6 toppings.stop putting chicken on pizza irish people it is not meant to be!!

I suppose it depends where you eat and what you get, I have eaten abroad, and in fairness some of them might have been aiming for the tourists, parts of spain and the islands for example, having a high turn over and throwing it out at the customers a certain extent, etc.

But have also been to mainland europe a few times, take Lyon in France for example, a place known for its love of food and restrarants. Was eating in places there, places not nessesarly aimed at the tourist, but they welcomed them all the same. Three of us eating out most nights, one of the guys lived there, so knew some of the better places to go. Most of the time were getting three course meals, a bottle of wine and maybe a couple of minerals. Beautiful food, well presented, lovely atmosphere, was coming in at about 90 to 100 between us. Same price range in the French Alps for our Evening Meals, and in no way touristy.

I agree on irish pizza though, some of them totally crammed and some aimed at the fast food end, good if your having a lazy night in and are may be on the recovery, but not if you want anything remotely authentic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

stop putting chicken on pizza irish people it is not meant to be!!
    Come back to me and say that when you've tried a Tandoori Chicken, Bacon and Sweetcorn Pizza from Dominos with a Double Decadence base!

homer-drool-702026.gif

Don't you mean Dominator base basquille,it's the best one :pac:
    I only had that Tandoori chicken for the first time on Tuesday,it was fantastic. The full house with no mushrooms and with that chicken instead is unreal.

No, the Double Decadence is far nicer (I think anyways)... it's not nearly as heavy as the Dominator.
    Domino's Double Decadence(TM) is created when two thin and crispy dough bases are sandwiched together with a layer of creamy cheese and herb sauce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Basquille, that double decadence base sounds scrumptious, I'm going to have t try that the next time I'm back.

Anyways, I ate in Source just after Christmas and before New Years. It was my parents that wanted to go and try it so I went along.

I can't exactly remember what we had but I had a Sirloin Steak I think for my main, it was something like €19 and the portion size was tiny, and the meat wasn't great either.
    All starters are priced at around €11 - €14 and main courses €16 - €21 or so. I found this to be way overpriced for what one gets.

If they are trying to be an upper class restaurant, it's just not working. The seating arrangement wasn't great and the table and chairs were like something you'd put in your back garden, all be it colourful.

Not to mention, there is nowhere to put your coat, my mother asked if there was anywhere to hang up her coat as it was long and didn't want it trailing on the ground, the coat was taken and placed on a ladder behind the door!

Deserts were around €6 or so, they didn't seem to be anything special.

As my mother said, the food we got that evening, she probably could have cooked better.

The idea of a tapas bar does appeal to me though especially if there might be a fairly large group, instead of getting a starter at the table, it would be handy to share some tapas upstairs.

Overall I found the place quite disappointing and wouldn't be returning back in a hurry!

basquille wrote: »
    No, the Double Decadence is far nicer (I think anyways)... it's not nearly as heavy as the Dominator.

Haven't tried it in a while.must give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I tried Conrads Kitchen a few weeks ago and was a little dissapointed. Some of it was lovely but other bits were just not up to par. Now, I love my food and I love eating out so this was a big treat for me!

For starters I had Asparagus risotto with duck and parmesan .. duck and parmesan are both very strong flavours and for me, didn't go very well together. The duck was extremely overcooked but the rest was very nice.

My partner had the crab cakes and they were delicious, if I go again, I would definately go for them.

My main was scallops with veal shank, foie gras and butternut squash. The scallops and squash were superb but the veal shank reminded me of an over cooked stew.

Other main was daube of beef, not bad but seemed like quite a cheap cut of beef that had been cooked until kingdom come. Maybe it's because I like my beef medium rare that I wasn't impressed but I have had nicer beef in stews than what was served to us there.

For dessert I had the apple crumble with olive oil icecream and my partner had the chocolate mouse, both were delicious and the icecream was one of the nicest I've ever had.

So all in all it was an experience. The beef was really the only thing that let the entire meal down, The setting, ambience and service was excellent, they were professional without being over bearing.

I will go again I'm sure but I will be more careful when ordering second time around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 523 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Has anyone tried the new Chinese on Mail Coach Road?

It is just a few doors down from borzas - I heard one guy saying it was as good as the mandarin court.

TheKBizzle wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the new Chinese on Mail Coach Road?

It is just a few doors down from borzas - I heard one guy saying it was as good as the mandarin court.
    It's called GrEat..

First time I wasn't that impressed.. but liking it more and more with each new dish I try. Had Chicken Udon from them last week - delicious!

Meat still not as tender as I'd like though! :(

It's no Mandarin unfortunately.

Guy I was talking to got some meal deal on the menu and was raving about the chicken curry saying it was fab so might give it a try

Just tried that GrEat place. They have a meal deal for one with chicken ball,spare rib, spring roll, chicken curry and fried rice for 8 euro which is pretty good.

Spring roll and the black rib that looked like it had been kicked up the road to my house were not great but the curry was good and the chips they do are good too.

I was overcharged for delivery by the driver too whom I was surprised could not read the receipt considering the thickness of his glasses:mad:

Why doesn't Sligo have a Mexican restaurant?

It must be the only city in Ireland that doesn't have one and it's shameful.

Please, no one even dare mention Abra Kebabra's hilarious Mexican menu either, I will cry.

Why doesn't Sligo have a Mexican restaurant?

It must be the only city in Ireland that doesn't have one and it's shameful.

Please, no one even dare mention Abra Kebabra's hilarious Mexican menu either, I will cry.
    As I've mentioned before, Centra do a Mexican Cheese Toastie.

It's a normal cheese toastie.. with salsa!

Now if that isn't Mexican, I don't know what is! :D

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    As I've mentioned before, Centra do a Mexican Cheese Toastie.

It's a normal cheese toastie.. with salsa!

Now if that isn't Mexican, I don't know what is! :D

You are joking. Please tell me you are joking..

I bet it's even slopped out of a premade batch stored in a big plastic tub, even though they'd have practically all the ingredients in the deli section..

Oh God..

Advertisement