Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I went to Cromleach Lodge on Thursday. They've launched an Early Bird menu €30 for three courses. The views are stunning and the food was fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Went with friends to Drumcliffe Tea House last night for the Italian "tapas" style food.
    Have to say was very impressed as I'm not normally a fan of Italian food.
    Some pics of the fare on the facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/drumcliffe.teahouse

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Called for lunch mid week at the Crozon. Food was very tasty and good value for money. Would recommend it. It was the first time we have ever been in and will so go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Does anyone know if streetcart is open on Sundays?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Does anyone know if streetcart is open on Sundays?

http://www.facebook.com/StreetCart/info

No hours there, but a number if thats any use: (071) 914 3994

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

http://www.facebook.com/StreetCart/info

No hours there, but a number if thats any use: (071) 914 3994

Cheers but I took a spin by it yesterday around 1 PM and it was shut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I went to the Crozon Inn for their Early Bird which is a 4 course for €20.
    I would recommend it 100%.
    The food was delicious and plentiful.
    The place itself is very nice and the staff are very friendly.
    I will be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I know this is the "favourite restaurant in Sligo" thread and I am based here myself but just had to recommend this Chinese Restaurant for any Sligo food lovers on the go, who might be visiting Belfast.

The Red Panda Chinese is in the Odyssey Arena Complex and we went there last weekend to meet friends. There were 4 of us and we all ordered different starters, main courses and each sampled every dish. All I can say is that we were all blown away by the quality of the food served, it was absolutely the best Chinese meal we ever had and it was very reasonably priced too.

If anyone from Sligo loves Chinese food and is in that neck of the woods, it is well worth a visit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Can anyone tell me what the Mandarin Court is like these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Another vouch for the Swagman here, yeah it's always reet busy, but great atmosphere and the seafood chowder is beaut! Followed by the peanut-butter stack, I was reduced.

Went to Shenanigan's as well fairly recently, another great place for lunch, really nice menu they have there and reasonably priced. Good and roomy too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 popnbox

red sean wrote: »
    Yes it's still there. Because it's successful!
    I don't understand the reason for your ageist remark, but remember, if the it wasn't for the older folk, none of us would be here!
    ....wow ur a world of knowledge n history lol...just seen ur post...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

Had lunch at Hardagon's today, it was lovely & warm inside ( because some places aren't! ), and the service was quick - suprisingly so - and the food delicious; we had vegetarian quiche which was lovely and cheesy and just the right amount of pastry, came with a really nice salad ( was 'impressed' with the inclusion of olives as I'm such a country bumpkin ), and the honey chicken came with a great sweet honey and mustard sauce ramekin. We arrived too late for the daily Yeats poem reading, but the rugger was on so I supposed that fulfilled the culture element!

Another place in Sligo I frequent is Oscars Cafe on Wine Street there, just between the entrance Quayside and the Gaiety. Photos of film stars all over the wall and a really nice atmosphere, plus great coffee and desserty things, have had the malteasers cheesecake, bannoffee pie, and gluten free strawberry cream cake on different occasions, great little placeen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭peter barrins

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Save our libraries

Lyons is the best place in town for lunch although I they could give you a bigger veg portion.
    I like shells but I don't really see what all the hype is about, yes their breakfast eggs and beans are amazing but the rest of the menu is pretty basic, standard cafe food. It's in a great location which adds to is appeal and the little shop was a great addition but the majority of the menu is pretty standard I would say. I'd love to see a menu change up would be great if they had a seasonal menu. Also hate that their fish is farmed

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Lyons is the best place in town for lunch although I they could give you a bigger veg portion.
    I like shells but I don't really see what all the hype is about, yes their breakfast eggs and beans are amazing but the rest of the menu is pretty basic, standard cafe food. It's in a great location which adds to is appeal and the little shop was a great addition but the majority of the menu is pretty standard I would say. I'd love to see a menu change up would be great if they had a seasonal menu. Also hate that their fish is farmed
    Shells is definitely over-rated, it's grand but nothing special enough for all the hype. Most of the stuff in the shop is over-priced too, one for the hipsters in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

thebuzz wrote: »
    Shells is definitely over-rated, it's grand but nothing special enough for all the hype. Most of the stuff in the shop is over-priced too, one for the hipsters in my opinion.

Hipsters = Good food.

Is there a Sligo fetish for running down any restaurant that's good?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Hipsters = Good food.

Is there a Sligo fetish for running down any restaurant that's good?
    No, but when I don't understand why there's such a fuss over a particular place that (to me) is nothing special, then I don't mind saying it.

I think you'll find this thread mainly focuses on the good restaurants/cafes but maybe you have a connection with Shells and we've touched a nerve by not going along with the usual positives of it? Sorry, but we're all entitled to our opinions whether you agree with them or not.

I don't feel like I ran it down. I go to shells a lot because I like it but I do wonder about the hype. The menu is basic, nothing wrong with that, and it's been the same menu for as long as I can remember. So that's why I don't understand the hype that's all :)

• Advertisement

maybe you have a connection with Shells and we've touched a nerve by not going along with the usual positives of it?

No, I holiday in Sligo and I just like good food, read my other posts in this thread.
    Also hate that their fish is farmed

Say it to them.

Source had fantastic locally caught wild fish and locals wouldn't go, then it shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I wouldn't call it over rated at all, I really enjoy the food and would happily suggest it to somebody. The food does seem a bit 'artisan', which must be giving you the hipster vibe off it, but there's not really a hipster crowd in there. It's not the cheapest, granted, and it's far too small. It would still be hard to find a seat if it were on a premises twice the size! I've been there a few times where I just decided it wasn't worth the wait, but that's because I'm quite impatient and even more so when I'm hungry!

One big plus (in my opinion) is the scenery. Although anything is better than the dreary/dank viiew of looking out onto a street in any place located in Sligo town.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Source had fantastic locally caught wild fish and locals wouldn't go, then it shut down.

I loved their seafood chowder. THey also did a great tuna steak. But they were expensive enough and there wasn't that much seating. Although I only ever remember people on the lower floor. I cold be wrong though.

I loved their seafood chowder. THey also did a great tuna steak. But they were expensive enough and there wasn't that much seating. Although I only ever remember people on the lower floor. I cold be wrong though.

I'd be happy to pay a few Euro extra for better quality, better cooked stuff. Never had an issue with the seating as I always booked. It was very relaxed, staff were great, we'd have 12 to 16 people there for hours, kids included at a huge table. Nothing was a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Shells is decent but it is way over-hyped imo. I like the vibe and decor of the place and the food is decent but when you compare it to somewhere like Kai in Galway it's way behind. Kai is the kind of place Shells is trying to be but in Kai the food is exceptional whereas in Shells, while the vibe is good and all that they don't have the food to back it up. It's decent but certainly not all it's hyped up to be imo.

*p.s i don't work for or have any affiliation with Kai! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Shells is grand, I wouldn't be rushing out there myself - poor vegetarian options and very overcrowded. Food is standard cafe grub, nothing wrong with that - I wouldn't describe it as 'artisan' though. They know their market!

I love the ambiance of Lyons cafe but find it quite expensive for what you get. Looking forward to the Sweet Beat Cafe opening in the coming months to shake up Sligo town's food scene.

Is sweet beat the vegan place? Can't wait :) do you know where it will be?
    Always love her stuff from the market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Is sweet beat the vegan place? Can't wait :) do you know where it will be?
    Always love her stuff from the market

It is, and I do, but its top secret! It'll be in Sligo town for sure :)

• Advertisement

Back to Shells again, does anyone know the recipe for their scones? Probably the nicest I've had. Don't know what they're doing different.

Advertisement