Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Talking of Sakura, what has happened to the sushi part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭proon4

We had a faminly occassion last week and we went to The Glasshouse Hotel on Hyde Bridge. I have to say I was delighted with the fare. Sizable portions, good choice, friendly helpful staff,which was appreciated as we had two people with us who have special dietry needs. .I have to admit I was a bit worried as hotel food hasn't a great reputation,but all in all it was a great choice . there was music later in the upstairs bar,so we enjoyed that as well...9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Been a while since ive eaten out in sligo. What is still good around the place? Coach lane, Bianconis, the belfry were decent at one point. Anything new or improved in the last couple of years that would suit a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

If Indian food is your thang I really love Poppadom on O'Connell Street. They have an early bird menu where you can get three courses for about €20. A little out of town in Rosses Point there is a restaurant called Rose Garden which in my opinion is the best chinese food you will ever taste.
    Also Bistro Bianconi is still as epic as it's ever been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Donaghy's now,and I was.
    Indian- for me,and alot of people I know,Classic India on Market Street is the best around
    Chinese-Mandarin Court on Wine Street doesn't look great from the outside,but is by far the best in town.
    Fine dining-Montmarte in the Market Yard is the best food in the town,hands down. Expect to pay 20-25 for a main,but is worth it if you're splashing out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Was in Sligo a few weeks ago visiting friends and ate in Paprika Indian restaurant on Pearse Road, I have to say it was delicious, I'd highly recommend.
    Also ate in a place off the main street, can't remember the name of the restaurant, but had lovely tapas there.

terlywerly wrote: »
    Was in Sligo a few weeks ago visiting friends and ate in Paprika Indian restaurant on Pearse Road, I have to say it was delicious, I'd highly recommend.
    Also ate in a place off the main street, can't remember the name of the restaurant, but had lovely tapas there.

Would it have been Tobergaul Lane Cafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Anybody try the new restaurant that has replaced the Lemongrass in the Clarence. I'm going out for dinner on Sunday and thinking of tryin this place.
    I think it's an Italian which is right down my street :) Was wondering if any of you had any experiences of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

greetings wrote: »
    Would it have been Tobergaul Lane Cafe?
    That's the one! Cheers greetings, I wouldn't have ever remembered it. It was nice and quiet the night we were in, not dead or anything, but a nice crowd.

Feck, I'd kill for some tapas right now lol :)

terlywerly wrote: »
    That's the one! Cheers greetings, I wouldn't have ever remembered it. It was nice and quiet the night we were in, not dead or anything, but a nice crowd.

Feck, I'd kill for some tapas right now lol :)
    Aw ya the food in there is lovely. It's meant to be good on a Saturday night,think they have some musicians playing in there while you eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭qweeva

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Anybody try the new restaurant that has replaced the Lemongrass in the Clarence. I'm going out for dinner on Sunday and thinking of tryin this place.
    I think it's an Italian which is right down my street :) Was wondering if any of you had any experiences of it?

I had a meal here with 3 friends, and none of us would return. Its very average/quite poor. My meal was cold and very bland. I had fish, but the pasta and pizzas ordered by my friends were not good. There was quite a lot of food uneaten. I wouldn't recommend it at all. Caesars on the river is quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

I stopped in at Henrys' because of their big sign which said 9.95 buffet and was floored how expensive the menu was and didn't see any buffet. Bianconi is pretentious and way too dear.

The best deal around is McDermotts in Castlebaldwin where they do the lunch special at dinner for 11.95. Great quality. Molly Fultons' has improved greatly with prices about average.

Best burger is at Cryan's in Ballymote where a jumbo cheeseburger with fresh beef and fixings is only 2.50. Huge fresh dough pizza for 9.95

Star of India in Tubbercurry is very good, friendly and a 3 course earlybird for 13.95

Best advice for Sligo -- buy the coupon book. Some good deals at good restaurants in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Thanks qweeva for your recommendation. I actually booked a table in Tra Ban instead, hope it's a bit better. I have heard a fair few good things about it from various different people.

Bistro Bianconi are offering any pizza for €10 at the moment, this is fairly good considering their quality over others and I'd have no problem paying an extra euro or so for something that tasted much better and fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

rcecil wrote: »
    Bianconi is pretentious

whatever about your budget - i must say to call bianconi's pretentious is baffling me a bit - i've gone there over the years since 1993 or so and i've never ever found that - what may i ask made you think that?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

artyeva wrote: »
    whatever about your budget - i must say to call bianconi's pretentious is baffling me a bit - i've gone there over the years since 1993 or so and i've never ever found that - what may i ask made you think that?

x2,stupid comment imo,Would love to hear why its pretentious

Brilliant,consistantly good pizza's (Probley the best in ireland) ,Fresh ingredients,Quick service (as soon as your seated) and a nice environment.

I have always found service in the Bistro fantastic and very far from pretentious. For the quality of food and service it is definately not overpriced, you can get a 3 course meal for €15 and a glass of wine for €2. In my opinion the Bistro really sets the standard for how a good restaurant should be run.

I would murder a michelangalo pizza right now *yummy*

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Thanks qweeva for your recommendation. I actually booked a table in Tra Ban instead, hope it's a bit better. I have heard a fair few good things about it from various different people.

Bistro Bianconi are offering any pizza for €10 at the moment, this is fairly good considering their quality over others and I'd have no problem paying an extra euro or so for something that tasted much better and fresher.

Aw bobcar when did you book Tra Ban for? Was there a few times,it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Cesare's is the frikkin BOMB right now. They have started doing deliveries and their Penne La Toscana is absolutely stunning. I wasn't too keen on their pizza's to be honest, I think Bistro is the best out of a shoddy lot pizza wise.
    I mean don't get me wrong, they do good pizza's and I love their [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mustis Garlic and Chilli Parcel, but I think they overload the pizza topping wise. There is absolutely minimal way you can pick up a slice without it flopping over and losing half of the toppings. This might appeal to people who like their value for money, but more is less sometimes. Also the bistro have a hilarious take on a traditional Ceasar Salad. It should consist of Romaine lettuce and no other variation, croutons and a vinegarette consisting of olive oil, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, anchovy and a touch of black pepper. You can bulk it up by serving it with chicken. But where the HELL did they find the Bistro's chef? They make theirs with seasonal leaves, SPANISH onions and smoked bacon chunks?
    I actually spent 5 years living in Italy so I have an idea as to what a Ceasar salad should look and taste like, and that certainly isn't it... They also quarter their onions as I was prone to finding giant chunks of onion through out the salad. Ghastly.

EDIT: If I was to recommend an oriental restaurant in Sligo, it would be the Jade Garden out in Strandhill. Incredible but a little on the pricey side.
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Redbrunette

I love the food in Fiddler's Creek, it's gorgeous. The restaurant is fantastic and the pub grub is really good too. My friends really love the food in McHugh's, but I must say I'm really not a fan. Got food in Shenanigans a few weeks ago, it was horrible and cold too. We were trying to eat, it was in the evening and all we could here were students downstairs. Ruined the atmosphere. Everything is really spicey and oily. Love Davis too, wish it wasn't so far out of town!!

I love the food in Fiddler's Creek, it's gorgeous. The restaurant is fantastic and the pub grub is really good too. My friends really love the food in McHugh's, but I must say I'm really not a fan. Got food in Shenanigans a few weeks ago, it was horrible and cold too. We were trying to eat, it was in the evening and all we could here were students downstairs. Ruined the atmosphere. Everything is really spicey and oily. Love Davis too, wish it wasn't so far out of town!!

Ugh got to say not a fan of Mc Hugh's at all. Food is nasty and waaaay too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I went for lunch in Reidys today, where Gurns used to be. The food was really really good, and great value too, I'll definitely be going back there. The service was excellent also.

I went for lunch in Reidys today, where Gurns used to be. The food was really really good, and great value too, I'll definitely be going back there. The service was excellent also.

Never got around to it yet,I did see it was cheap though. Must try it soon.

Was just thinking today, does anyone remember the cafe beside the Polish supermarket on harmony hill? It was owned by Polish people. It was the best cafe ever! They did an epic Irish fry, lovely sandwiches and their hot chocolate - probably the best I've ever had! It was so well priced too. I was raging when they closed down last summer :(

Best place for a bargain breakfast is the new internet cafe, 'I & E' on market street. They do lovely sandwiches and all but the full irish for 3.50,can't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

greetings wrote: »
    Best place for a bargain breakfast is the new internet cafe, 'I & E' on market street. They do lovely sandwiches and all but the full irish for 3.50,can't be beat.
    Next to Paddypower, great menu and great prices. Had soup the other day, huge bowl and cooked perfectly, i know a good bowl of soup:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Tried out the restaurant over the Garavogue at the weekend - twice actually! It was great value and the best menu I've seen in a while.
    Food was fabulous.. Their pizzas were great and the service is fantastic.
    I'm craving the Chocolate cake since. They are under new management about 4 weeks or so the waitress told me. Kudrosbistro.ie has their menu..
    I've no affiliation with them just a satisfied customer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Silver33 wrote: »
    Kudrosbistro.ie has their menu..
    I've no affiliation with them just a satisfied customer! :D

this doesn't work for me, neither does a google search :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

this doesn't work for me, neither does a google search :(
    Official site here!

I ate there last week too.. and had mixed opinions!

Staff in The Garavogue were slow (which can be "the norm" in there), they got my order wrong but I was waiting so long for it that I didn't bother complaining.

Food was nice however!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Thanks Basquille and apologies for the wrong link. Basquille you beat me to it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Would have to Say Mandarin Court on Wine St
    Beverly and all the Crew are very friendly and always have a good Laugh.

Advertisement