Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleading information on web site

Options
  • 02-04-2008 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently ordered a computer part from a web site, the reason I went with this site was because they were the only ones I could find that had the part in stock.

I ordered on Monday and when it didn't ship on Tuesday I rang them up, they said it would ship Tuesday evening. I just checked today and it still has not shipped, so I rang them and the guy said the part is out of stock, they are expecting more in, blah, blah, blah (their web site still says 'In stock, ready to ship').

They have already charged my credit card so I am not sure about canceling the order. Is it easy for them to refund my credit card if I cancel the order? would it be possible for me to tell the credit card company to take the payment back?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently ordered a computer part from a web site, the reason I went with this site was because they were the only ones I could find that had the part in stock.

I ordered on Monday and when it didn't ship on Tuesday I rang them up, they said it would ship Tuesday evening. I just checked today and it still has not shipped, so I rang them and the guy said the part is out of stock, they are expecting more in, blah, blah, blah (their web site still says 'In stock, ready to ship').

They have already charged my credit card so I am not sure about canceling the order. Is it easy for them to refund my credit card if I cancel the order? would it be possible for me to tell the credit card company to take the payment back?

Thanks.

Contact the sellers and politely explain that you want to cancel the order and get a full refund due to the item being out of stock and the mis leading website. They should be able to refund the transaction easily enough.

If there is no joy there then ring your credit card company, explain the situation and ask if they can issue a Chargeback on the transaction.

Shouldn't be too much bother. I was in a situation before where I was double charged for something and the seller refused to refund saying it was an additional charge due to x, y, z. I rang my Cred cArd company and they had no problems after I explained the situation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Cancel the transaction with the company, requesting a full refund. Explain the reason why.

If this fails, you can contact the credit card company and request a chargeback for the transaction. It takes a while to process though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Its as easy to do a refund as to do a charge.

If they are a professional store you will have no problem whatsoever.

All internet sales are covered under distance selling rules, so seller must by law give refund if you change you mind up to 14 days from purchase date. - this applies to internet & phone selling only and not to retail shops. - It should also be stated in their t&c's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

It's a common ploy from some online shops - to claim it's in stock when it's not. Most customers won't be bothered with the hassle of cancelling, charge back, etc., leaving the seller with a sale they probably wouldn't have got had the buyer was aware they were actually out of stock at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP: Is the item to be shipped by courier? If yes then it is vital that you refuse to accept delivery. The item will be then shipped back to the seller and you can back charge your card after 30 days if they do not refund you before. Your credit card company will not backcharge for you unless the item is not with you. It helps aswell if you didnt sign for the item at all.

If you bought the item in Europe then you have a 7 day cooling off period from when the goods are received by you whereby you can cancel the contract of sale and send the item back. Best to go with the refusal of delivery if you can though.

See here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/distance_selling

This all implies that you bought with the EU. If not then you might be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Thanks for the feedback guys. I rang them and canceled the order, they said they would credit my credit card account for the full amount, which went through this morning.....on a happier note I made €3 from the whole transacrion since the exchange rate changed in my favour over the last few days, :D

Advertisement