Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing problem

Options
  • 02-04-2008 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of doing some work on my heating system which involves the fitting of a new motorised valve. The problem is that the motorised valve, like all those I've seen, is 22mm but the only pipe I can get is 3/4".

One supplier has said that I can use 3/4" pipe and olives in the 22mm fittings of the valve. From a quick look yesterday I reckon it would work alright but I would welcome any comments.

I'm unsure of the existing pipework (which has 2 existing myson mpe222 motorised valves on it already) as I don't have anyway of accurately measuring it but a quick test with a vice-grips (also functions as a calipers!) seems to suggest that the pipes are 3/4".

Is it ok to use 3/4" pipe and olives with 22mm fittings?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Yep, do it all the time. It's also standard practice with 15mm-1/2inch fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

MickLimk wrote: »
    Yep, do it all the time. It's also standard practice with 15mm-1/2inch fittings.

Its actually very common practice now with things like boilers where the water in/out ports are metric 22mm. You just use the 3/4' olive and nut and your sorted....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Excellent. Means I can stop my search for 22mm piping.

Does the 3/4" nut fit the valves etc that are 22mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

yes they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

it might be worth compressing the olive with the valve then taking it back off and giving the olive a few wraps of ptfe then just tighten up again plus you may have to use the nut they give you as sometimes the tread can be slightly different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Got the job done last night and the heating is back up and running with no leaks around the new valve. The original pipework was indeed 3/4". The accessible spot I had been trying to measure was slightly ovalled which explains why I wasn't sure which I had.

So all I have to do now is wire it all up.

Advertisement