Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rendering block wall??

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hi all

we're in the middle of a garden renovation. One extra job that has come up is rendering a souround wall. The wall is made up with blocks, and had been painted with masonary paint (about 5 years ago)

My question is around the painted surface. One builder is saying he would have to pressure wash the walls to remove the paint before applying the render, the other says this idea is crazy and a waste of time.

Can anyone let me know if the paint needs to be removed before applying a cement rendering?

Thanks for the advice.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

To my mind you'd have to pressure wash the wall first to clean off any dirt etc. in order to ensure that the render bonds properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Hi TKK

Thanks for the reply.

I can see having to clean the wall first. But 20 mins with a yard brush & soap + water could do this.

The thing is the builder is suggesting he would need to remove the paint (one coat - clean, no peeling or flaking) from the wall for the render to adhere properly. That would will take much much longer. That's why I'm wonderg if it's actually needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

after washing the wall it should be unibonded and scudded before plastering then you will have no problems

Advertisement