Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

The Smiths (Morrissey, Marr, Joyce, Rourke) - The Queen is Dead

The-Smiths-The-Queen-Is-Dead-75065.jpg

Track Listing:
    1. The Queen Is Dead (Take Me Back To Dear Old Blightly)
    2. Frankly, Mr. Shankly
    3. I Know It's Over
    4. Never Had No One Ever
    5. Cemetry Gates
    6. Bigmouth Stikes Again
    7. The Boy With The Thorn In His Side
    8. Vicar In A Tutu
    9. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
    10. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

"The Queen Is Dead" is The Smiths third studio album, and is probably the most popular one from their collection. This album comprised some of the bands best known material, such as "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", which is one of the most famous Smiths tracks, and is also considered by some as the greatest song ever written (lyrically).

The album was originally due to be released late in 1985, but due to a legal feud with their record company Rough Trade, its release was postponed until the summer of 1986. Even though the album is just over 30 minutes long, the record was recognised by critics as 'the big one for the band. Ironically, both Johnny Marr and Morrissey regard the following album "Strangeways, Here We Come" as the album that displays the band at their musical peak.

The first track on the album commences with an extract from the 1962 film "The L-Shaped Room", which flows into a quick drum beat marking the start of the first song. The lyrics on this track suggest Morrissey's patriotism and longing for his homeland. The tempo of the song is quick, and Joyce’s drumming sets a vital pace for the group, while Rourke’s bass playing on this track was, in the words of Marr "something no other bass player could match". The album exits with the song "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others", which personally is one of the few Smiths songs I dislike (athough for some its hugely popular), and for me provides a poor finish to such a powerful album.

The third track, "I Know It’s Over" is an immensely emotional song. Written in the winter of ’85, it gives us one of the most Mellon collie lines in a song: "Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head". Accompanied by the rhythm of Marr and Rourke, the song is slow and radiates sadness. Morrissey has captured the essence of human depression, loneliness and the feeling of unrequited love in this heart breaking epic.

"Bigmouth Strikes Again" is another example of Marr’s creative genius with his guitar. The central piece of the track is a catchy solo played on an electric guitar, which is fast paced, and slightly bluesy. This track was also the first single released from the album.

One of the most famous songs on the album would have to be "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". This ballad is an expression of the strength of true love; "And if a ten tonne truck crashes into us, to die by your side, well the pleasure, the privilege is mine".

Other tracks such as "Cemetry Gates", which is Morrissey's response to critics negative reaction to the inclusion of quotes by other poets in his songs and "Frankly, Mr Shankly" are also brilliant, but maybe partially over-shadowed by the strength of the more successful songs on the album.

This would have to be my favourite Smiths album. If you are looking to check this album out to sample some of Morrissey's lyrical style or Marr's exceptional talent, get this album. I highly recommend it.

****/***** - I'm giving the album a 4.5/5. I'm dropping the mark for the final track.

**This is a review I did a good while back on another forum (I've edited it a bit though). I thought this place seemed a bit dead, so I threw it in. I'll try write up some more again.**

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Great review. Definitely one of the very best albums of all time for me. I could never quite decide to be honest whether I prefer this or Strangeways but probably do lean more towards this. Meat Is Murder would be another in my top 3 from The Smiths.

I would agree also regarding Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others but not to the extent of dropping the album to a 4.5/5. I don't dislike the song but would consider it a weaker moment alright on the album. Overall the strength of the album in general would warrant a 5/5 imo.

I first heard this album around 1989 I would think when I was 13 or so. It will always be such an important album for me due to the fond memories of that time also. 19 years later and I still frequently play this along with others I discovered in my teens. My 3 year old daughter has already been exposed so much to The Smiths that she actually sings along to a few of the songs - Strangeways being her preferred album :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 JeanH

Great review, Notorious.

"The third track, "I Know It’s Over" is an immensely emotional song. Written in the winter of ’85, it gives us one of the most Mellon collie lines in a song: "Oh mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head". Accompanied by the rhythm of Marr and Rourke, the song is slow and radiates sadness. Morrissey has captured the essence of human depression, loneliness and the feeling of unrequited love in this heart breaking epic."

It was this song that made me a Smiths fan. One of my favourite ones lyrically. I always think of 'I'd Love To' as being Morrissey's solo equivalent. More specifically it was the section "It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate/ It takes guts to be gentle and kind" that really tugged at my heart. It's an emotional tornado of a tune. Unrequieted love... something I know far to much of :(

The Queen is Dead is probably my favourite musically on that album.

Actually the thing is I love every tune on that album. Predictable, I know, but it really is my favourite Smiths album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I would agree also regarding Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others but not to the extent of dropping the album to a 4.5/5. I don't dislike the song but would consider it a weaker moment alright on the album. Overall the strength of the album in general would warrant a 5/5 imo.

Being honest if the track wasn't at the start or the end I'd probably give it a 5/5. Personally I just like an album finish nicely, maybe because its the last track that sticks in my mind the most after listening to an album. Not only is this my favourite Smiths album, but its quite possible one of my favourite albums.

Glad you both liked the review!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

One of my all time favs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Notorious wrote: »
    it gives us one of the most Mellon collie lines in a song

"Mellon collie" indeed, you've been listening to too many Smashing Pumpkins albums :eek:

The word is "melancholy" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

IanCurtis wrote:
    "Mellon collie" indeed, you've been listening to too many Smashing Pumpkins albums

The word is "melancholy"

Hahaha! I only noticed that now... I suppose thats what I get for not proof reading properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

one of the worst albums i have ever heard

i hate morrissey and his music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I find it hard to believe anyone could hate the music of The Smiths.

Sure the themes are darker than average but you can't deny the lyricism and music is beautiful.
    (yeah, yeah beauty is subjective and all that but by any measure this music is beautiful IMHO).

The very treatment of more depressing themes is also obviously in itself commendable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 thedrunkleader

This must be a wind up!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Great review for a great album! You should review some more! You totally seem to "get" what The Smiths were all about! 10/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

IanCurtis wrote: »
    "Mellon collie" indeed, you've been listening to too many Smashing Pumpkins albums :eek:

The word is "melancholy" ;)

Hahaha, I just read what you said! And its funny really I have been spelling it wrong too for years!! Definetly too much Smashing Pumpkins for me anyway!! lol :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Good review. I haven't listened to that album in a long, long time. I going to put it on my Ipod now.
    I actually like the Some Girls are Bigger than Others track; obviously it's not up their with any of the more well known songs but it's a good catchy tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Nice review.

I bought this LP on the release date and played it six or seven times a day for a fortnight. It's fantastic. Don't play it too much nowadays.

tracks in order of preference.

1 Light
    2 Over
    3 Queen
    4 Bigmouth
    5 Boy
    6 Cemetry
    7 Girls
    8 Frankly
    9 Never
    10 Vicar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

cemetry gates is morrissey at his lyrical best...

always thought that "there is a light" should have been the last song on the album...but then again im not really in a position to query such things...

still my fav smiths album...as heartbreaking as it is hilarious....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

That's a great review. I did up one for the title track (http://thishereboogie.com/the-queen-is-dead-the-smiths-1986/) back in October, with a side rant on the national football team. Never knew the "take me back to dear old Blighty" thing was from a movie, but that's Moz for you.

Great album, but the title track, "Frankly...", "The Boy With A Thorn..." and "There is a Light" are definite standouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

IMHO the very best Smiths album, great review too.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I thought you were in The Fall?

Advertisement