Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil for a TDi ?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭

Recently bought a new SEAT cordoba TDi Sport.
    Dealer told me to keep an eye on the oil as they tend to burn a "drop"
    Well 600 K's down the road and it took a full litre of Syntethic oil @ nearly €17 a pop :eek:
    Bloody hell i thought.. This is heavier on oil than it is on diesel :rolleyes:

Right.
    I noticed that Lidl are selling oil on Monday 07-07-08

Supertec Motor Oil

* 1L
    * 5W-40
    * Synthetic-based oil that will protect your engine for the foreseeable future
    * €3.99 per L

This stuff >> LIDL OIL <<

Would it be up to scratch for my engine ?
    I could have 4 litres of this stuff if it did the job for the price of one of the others. :confused:

I checked on here >> VWVortex Fourms << And they say it is fine.
    Just want to double check so as not to wreck my new engine :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

vectra wrote: »
    Recently bought a new SEAT cordoba TDi Sport.
    Dealer told me to keep an eye on the oil as they tend to burn a "drop"
    Well 600 K's down the road and it took a full litre of Syntethic oil @ nearly €17 a pop :eek:
    Bloody hell i thought.. This is heavier on oil than it is on diesel :rolleyes:

Right.
    I noticed that Lidl are selling oil on Monday 07-07-08

Supertec Motor Oil

* 1L
    * 5W-40
    * Synthetic-based oil that will protect your engine for the foreseeable future
    * €3.99 per L

This stuff >> LIDL OIL <<

Would it be up to scratch for my engine ?
    I could have 4 litres of this stuff if it did the job for the price of one of the others. :confused:

I checked on here >> VWVortex Fourms << And they say it is fine.
    Just want to double check so as not to wreck my new engine :o
    I presume it is the 1.9tdi engine in the Cordoba. From my experience with the 105bhp 1.9tdi in an Octavia, it will burn about a litre of oil in the first 7,000km and after that it settles down and doesn't burn a drop. I've had 3 of them and they have all been the same. Burning a full litre in 600km doesn't sound right, i'd get your dealer to check the car out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

yellow012 wrote: »
    I presume it is the 1.9tdi engine in the Cordoba. From my experience with the 105bhp 1.9tdi in an Octavia, it will burn about a litre of oil in the first 7,000km and after that it settles down and doesn't burn a drop. I've had 3 of them and they have all been the same. Burning a full litre in 600km doesn't sound right, i'd get your dealer to check the car out.

Sorry,
    I should have said it is the 1.4 tdi

I would have thought 1 litre for 600k's is a bit excessive :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I know with vw oil, you should check that it conforms to vw specs. This should be written on the bottle - something like vw 505 01 (interval servicing PD TDI),506 01 (longlife PD TDI) or vw 507 00 (new spec encompassing both). Any oil can state viscosity (5w-40, etc) but it might not be right up to vw specs.

I would expect your car is on variable servicing (check the owners manual for this), if so you only want 506 01 or 507 00

btw I couldnt see it listed on the vwvortex list ??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭vectra

voxpop wrote: »
    btw I couldnt see it listed on the vwvortex list ??

MRD Motor Gold Supertec SAE 5W-40

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

vectra wrote: »
    MRD Motor Gold Supertec SAE 5W-40

;)

dar she blows!

its listed under 505 01 - so only for interval servicing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement