Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening surfing in Strandhill

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

Going down to sligo at the end of May for a wedding so i was thinking of going down the evening before it and hopefully sufing sometime round 7-9pm, obviously depending on the conditions.

Problem is that i don't have a board yet so i would be renting it. I have surfed a few time before, mostly overseas but a couple of runs in Bundoran as well. Do the shops only rent between 9-6 in the day? I would also like to get out on the next morning (friday) as well and get another couple of hours in. So i could even try and rent it from thurs evening till friday lunchtime?

Do many people surf in the evening time at that time of year or is it only the real hardcore surfers?

If anyone knows i'd really appreciate the heads up..
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I rented a board for a few days before but it was in Bundoran so I dunno about Strandhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Yea i don't mind renting it for 2 days as long as its not as dear as buying a board!!

Another problem is that i have no roof rck on the car so will prob have to leave it back then pick up again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

you'll have no luck with rentals in strandhill - schools only, so the only thing you could do is take a lesson... you could let the instructors know that you're only interested in a surf so they'd prob let you wander out back to get your waves... prob have to stay near the class though, not much good if going off down the beach! :)

plenty of local surfers & b-boarders in strandhill, nice vibe mid-week... let me know if you're really stuck, i'll give you a board for a few hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

aongo wrote: »
    you'll have no luck with rentals in strandhill - schools only, so the only thing you could do is take a lesson... you could let the instructors know that you're only interested in a surf so they'd prob let you wander out back to get your waves... prob have to stay near the class though, not much good if going off down the beach! :)

plenty of local surfers & b-boarders in strandhill, nice vibe mid-week... let me know if you're really stuck, i'll give you a board for a few hours...

Muchos gracias aongo, i'll try one of the surf schools first and see if they can give me some leeway to do my own thing. Might even be able to negociate a rental schoolie board..

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

Just saw your post.

I don;t think there's a place to rent in Strandhill.

Head to Bundoran surf shop and pick up a board and a wetsuit for about €20 a day. Bundoran is only 30 mins from Sligo. THey have soft racks that you can borrow / hire too. They're a friendly bunch up there and should sort you out.

http://www.bundoransurfco.com/

• Advertisement
Advertisement