Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Payment not taken

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

I stayed in a hotel a few months back and the bill was high came to roughly €600.00. Payment was never taken out of my credit card for this and it was cleared. I dont know why and the hotel have never rang me looking for payment etc. What should I do?!! Has this ever happened to anyone else? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Where's the confusion? Either phone the hotel and tell them about it if you're 100% honest, or leave it slide and see what happens if you're not. Or are you just looking for validation?

adam

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Never been so lucky.

What you do depends on your concience. If you can live with it, do nothing, its their mistake. If you want to pay up and be straight, give them a ring and ask whats the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They could charge your credit card at some stage in the future, so be prepared.

(Happened to a friend who bought a laptop from Dell, credit card wasn't charged for something like 6 months, he thought that they'd forgotten and spent most of the money he'd put aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Hayden*

Ok I think Il'l have to ring them up, thanks for posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

dont call them, its their mistake. id wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hayden* wrote: »
    Ok I think Il'l have to ring them up, thanks for posts

Fair play to you. I'd do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

i dont think so like who is going to ring up a Hotel and say Hello i owe you 600 and you forgot to take it from card ages ago. will you take it today? i dont think so. its up to the Hotel to take the payment as you did authorise payment id leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Fair play to you. I'd do the same.

Me too, but I'm too honest for my own good. I'd feel bad if I didn't call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

isnt there a limit on how long they can wait before they take payment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

karma aside, you can forget it for ages, and then, just when you're flat broke, they'll remember and you'll have to pay it then. Trust me, that's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hayden* wrote: »
    I stayed in a hotel a few months back and the bill was high came to roughly €600.00. Payment was never taken out of my credit card for this and it was cleared. I dont know why and the hotel have never rang me looking for payment etc. What should I do?!! Has this ever happened to anyone else? :rolleyes:

Do you still have the receipt, maybe the hotel made a mistake, I have seen receipts with "PIN VERIFIED" and then "DECLINED", but the clerk just sees the "PIN VERIFED" and thinks it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Beano wrote: »
    isnt there a limit on how long they can wait before they take payment?

AFAIK it's 3 years, but I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Something similar happened to a mate of mine. Booked a hotel over the internet a few months in advance of his trip. Never got a confirmation email so the week before he rang up and they said he wasn’t booked in at all. So he booked in again over the phone. Then a day later, a confirmation email came from the original booking stating that it was non refundable as it was an internet offer.

He rang the hotel but they insisted he had booked 2 rooms at the special non refundable internet/phone price and they were sticking to their guns.
    Spoke to the manager then who said as a gesture they would give a voucher for an additional night for free ... not much good as it was only a weekend trip!

In the end when he got there he had it out with the manager and got 1 of the bookings cancelled. When he got home and checked his credit card ... the hotel had refunded him the cost of 3 rooms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

lisaloo wrote: »
    i dont think so like who is going to ring up a Hotel and say Hello i owe you 600 and you forgot to take it from card ages ago. will you take it today? i dont think so. its up to the Hotel to take the payment as you did authorise payment id leave it at that.

Almost right! It is the purchasers responsibility to ensure they paid. If the customer now has evidence he/she didn't pay then the onus is on them to rectify it.

Consider, I pay you by cheque which you happily accept. Later you find I forgot to sign it. You could argue I had intended to pay you, but until you have the cash I haven't done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

It happened to me last year in APril spend €30 (swipe card), but the charge only show in my CC in Feb, called the CC company as I had lots of small charges already taken from the same place on the same date, so thought it might have beed a duplicate charge, they contacted the place and got a copy of my receipt.

Don't spend the money as they might come looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

nava wrote: »
    Hi

It happened to me last year in APril spend €30 (swipe card), but the charge only show in my CC in Feb, called the CC company as I had lots of small charges already taken from the same place on the same date, so thought it might have beed a duplicate charge, they contacted the place and got a copy of my receipt.

Don't spend the money as they might come looking for it.

11 Months is a long time, sounds like they or someone did a batch processing of their CC payments on one day. Granted it was only €30 but a large number of these would add up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

boomer_ie wrote: »
    11 Months is a long time, sounds like they or someone did a batch processing of their CC payments on one day. Granted it was only €30 but a large number of these would add up quickly.

What I found strange was that other stuff I got from same place but other sections were charged on the same month.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Had something similar here at Xtravision and an LCD tv.
    Took almost 6 months before they finally took the €1000.
    Quite sad... was almost getting used to the idea that i was lucky for once with a free tv :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Blame accountants!

Basically when businesses do their end of year accounts and they are audited, the accountants seem to have a special x-ray that sweeps all accounts and in a whoosh come up with a list of invoices which have not been paid and tell you to sort it out.

Hopefully none of the three customers I need to call this week are looking at this!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

what if you cancel your credit card in the mean time? then they cannot take the payment off it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

stek wrote: »
    what if you cancel your credit card in the mean time? then they cannot take the payment off it..

They can. You are still responsible for any charges that may accrue even after you cancel the card, unless you are reporting it stolen/lost.
    This was discussed before where someone had hired a car and left their CC details, as you do.. They then had an issue with damage to the car and it was proposed that simply cancelling the card would be a good way out of it.
    It doesn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

hard lines! maybe report it stolen? getting really dishonest now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

IMO, if you decided not to pay it, it's the same as robbing. Like going into a shop and lifting an ipod, the shop does not know its you who took it, but they have still been robbed.
    If it is your intention to ignore the bill, it is the same as intending to rob the ipod IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Stoner wrote: »
    Like going into a shop and lifting an ipod, the shop does not know its you who took it, but they have still been robbed.

A tad extreme n'est pas? A closer analogy would be somebody going into a store, paying for an i-pod with their credit card and the charge not appearing on their bill.
    We are talking about gift horses and whether they should have a dental exam,
    not shoplifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

wyndham wrote: »
    They can. You are still responsible for any charges that may accrue even after you cancel the card, unless you are reporting it stolen/lost.
    This was discussed before where someone had hired a car and left their CC details, as you do.. They then had an issue with damage to the car and it was proposed that simply cancelling the card would be a good way out of it.
    It doesn't work that way.
    if the company haven't processed any payments then cancelling the card would stop the payments going through that card.

what happens with most car rentals is they authorise an amount of say 500e on the card, however they don't process it if the car is returned undamaged. cancelling the card won't affect this as the payment has already been authorised. same goes for hotels.

here the hotel have your card details and will probably charge you once they notice.

Advertisement