Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing roof slates

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi there.
    I've had a read of some of the threads on this topic already but can't find the info i'm looking for. Basically, I wanted to konw if people had any advice on which Fibre Cement slate company I should use for my slates for my roof on a new build. I'm considering Tegral Thrutone vs Capco Berona The build is quite large so the difference in cash terms is in the region of 500 euro. The two main considerations for me are
    1) Thrutone slates aren't black enough(Berona are much blacker for example). I prefer the black look having admired a lot of houses in my locality recently.
    2) 10 yr colour guarantee for Berona vs 20 year colour guarantee for Thrutone. This for me is a worry. If I thought I'd have a problem in 10 yrs time with irregular colour fading etc on Berona i'd be inclined to give them a miss.
    Has anyone any advice for me on this decision please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 roofer

for the colour aspect i would go with the tegral thrutone 2000. is the blue black not black enough? you may get a 20 year colour with thrutone but i think after a few years the weather will do its thing and you will have a weathered look to the roof. maybe the tegral supercem would suit you. not as good quality as the thrutone but a nice black finish none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

My advice would be whatever you choose make sure it's got some sort of a decent colour guarantee. Nothing looks worse than a really nice roof that's filthy after only a few years. Think about black teracotta baked clay tiles...they are lovely and have a very very very long guarantee compared to other products.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Slates

DLBuild wrote: »
    Hi there.
    I've had a read of some of the threads on this topic already but can't find the info i'm looking for. Basically, I wanted to konw if people had any advice on which Fibre Cement slate company I should use for my slates for my roof on a new build. I'm considering Tegral Thrutone vs Capco Berona The build is quite large so the difference in cash terms is in the region of 500 euro. The two main considerations for me are
    1) Thrutone slates aren't black enough(Berona are much blacker for example). I prefer the black look having admired a lot of houses in my locality recently.
    2) 10 yr colour guarantee for Berona vs 20 year colour guarantee for Thrutone. This for me is a worry. If I thought I'd have a problem in 10 yrs time with irregular colour fading etc on Berona i'd be inclined to give them a miss.
    If you are looking for a black slate Tegrals supercem have a 10 year colour and a 30 year structural and they are Irish made.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    I am in the same predicament.
    Go with Capco Cromley which have same guarantees as Tegral. Capco have a very nice ridge slate.
    I like the darker colour of Cromley by Capco in comparison to Tegral Rivendale slate but i am told to stick with Tegral.
    What do i do?
    DLBuild wrote: »
    Hi there.

Advertisement