Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car registration problem

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

My friend bought a car few weeks ago and she is due to pay the tax this month. Unfortunately she still hasen't received registration book and when she asked dealer about it she was told she needs to contact previous owner.
    Now when I'm pretty sure it's his duty but don't really know irish law so would rather hear it from someone who is 100% sure.
    She tried to contact Vehicle Registration Office about it but got only answering machine on all three(!) numbers.

Am I right saying it's his duty?
    And do you know any arguments you could use to tell the dealer he should be sorting out her registration book?

(Edit) Whom or what office to contact if negotiations with the dealer will prove unsuccesful?

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Moved from Legal Discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seller always sends papers to VRO in Shannon (1993 onwards). It can take 2-4 weeks for her to get them. Sometimes longer.
    Whoever she gave money for the car is the owner, in this case dealer. Who is the dealer?
    Did she ring previous ower?

She has to pay tax for the period from the purchase date even if she didn't use car. Or get a Gardai to sign a form of non-use.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

Don't know who's the dealer(she does). But she was told by him it's nothing to do with him and she needs to contact previous owner(who she obviously doesn't know since buying from a dealer). And on this basis he denied signing the registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Aseth wrote: »
    Don't know who's the dealer(she does). But she was told by him it's nothing to do with him and she needs to contact previous owner(who she obviously doesn't know since buying from a dealer). And on this basis he denied signing the registration.

The dealer is having you on. Tell your friend to go back with a bloke and put the pressure on him

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Indeed. She should go back to dealer with a friend and demand that he send the reg papers off to Shannon.

You see, when the dealer bought the car from person A he becomes owner and will have to process the paperwork before selling car to person B. Unless he is some dodgy character.

Or am I not getting something here? Usually dealers are ok. Is it a big dealer or some small time single person business? Are you in Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

Aseth wrote: »

If your friend needs someone else to seek advice rather than doing it herself, it sounds like the dealer might have seen her coming.

You say she got three answering machines when she rang Shannon? Did she leave a message as they are usually quite fast to respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

sorted. Dealer called her and said he will send the information.
    thx for reading and all advices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

in the meantime feel free to rack up some penalty points as they'll go to the last owner until the registration changes

• Registered Users Posts: 7 banshi

Hi everyone, and thanks for all suggestions :)

Now when I have access to this Board I would like to add something as well. Maybe as a warning for other buyers...

I’m pretty sure we are not allowed to post real names here which in my opinion is a great pity as there might be others treated in the way I was by this Car Dealer.

Anyway - As Aseth wrote already, I bought a small, cheap ‘bargain’ car, for my first car ever. Being not Irish and having difficulties with technical language and all legal procedures was not a real help as well :)

The Car Dealer looked nice and honest, assured me that this car (Daewoo Matiz) is in good shape and condition, there was a minor issue with leaking engine which I was told will be fixed in no time. The story with all nerves about that gasket is another story to tell… long one. It took me over a month to fix that leaking thing – the car was sold to me with a 3 month warranty.

I was told as well that my new Car Registration Certificate will be sent to me, however it can take a while ‘you know how Irish post is working…’ he said. So I waited. Since 19th of February.
    Anyway, since the TAX was paid till April and my NCT is due May. I became pretty anxious and started to ask around how this stuff really works. This is when Aseth wrote her post here.

I was unsuccessful with calling Registration Office but we called dealer again in order to figure it out if he really sent that previous Certificate.

He was surprised and explained to my fiancé that the lady who owned car before us should sent Certificate and we should find and contact her… In that moment I was really scared :) How the heck, should I know who the previous owner was when I bought car from a dealer.

Few hours later, he called my fiancé and told him, that the Certificate was not sent, and he will leave it for us in nearby Pizzeria so we could collect it after work. Certificate was of course not signed by seller.

I wrote a long letter (similar to this post :)) explaining my situation, attached a copy of my ID, a copy of Invoice I received from Car Dealer (unsigned as well), and the previous Certificate, filled with my details and signed by me.

Four working days later a new one was sent to me. I found myself really tired of this mess after everything was finally legal.

Now I am waiting for my TAX pin to pay for it online (I am unable to do it in regular office hours) and searching for good car parts shop to prepare my car for NCT :/ It looks like there might be few issues with it.

To all inexperienced people out there… cheap car is mostly a really painful choice.

Advertisement