Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you sorry to see Bertie go 'Minister'?

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

I wonder if our 'minister' will be sorry to see Bertie go. I would imagine that he will be as there may be a few changes by the next leader. Demotion perhaps. After all he's done a miserable job so far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I hope the changes reach as far as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yeah Im sorry to see him go. Who else are we going to castigate in the pub on a Saturday night? He kept us in conversation for along time.

He did a great job, in most areas, but his time was up. If he had done it a year ago, he might have escaped with a better reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The fact that he ever got elected made me seriously question the validity of democracy. The fact that he got re-elected stunned me completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The fact that he ever got elected made me seriously question the validity of democracy. The fact that he got re-elected stunned me completely.

For the first time ever you and I are in total agreement!

• Advertisement

/faint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

I will be sorry to see him go.
    He is cute when he stutters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I'm trying to figure out if minister is referring to Bertie or someone in Sligo and if so who? :confused:

takola wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if minister is referring to Bertie or someone in Sligo and if so who? :confused:

Its Minister Jimmy Devins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

The only ministers who need to be worried about their jobs are those who have not lived up to expectations. and there are plenty of THEM in this government. So, draw your own conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

sueme wrote: »

Ah I see. Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

sueme wrote: »

Again fact stranger than fiction

Gillie wrote: »
    For the first time ever you and I are in total agreement!

My theory is that if I keep on posting, eventually everyone will agree with me on something. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm sickened by the "end of an era" backslapping we're already being subjected to. nicky Byrne massaging his father-in-law's ego on Joe Duffy earlier on.
    The common touch? Why? He liked football and pints? So Prince Harry has the common touch too then? Or John Magnier? Or Jacques Chirac?
    Charisma? Bad posture, a stammer and a nasal voice would indicate otherwise. (Before anyone disputes this, it's a matter of personal opinion. The characteristics I've outlined would normally be accepted as not attractive qualities). JFK he wasn't.
    The "good" he did for the country include: taking credit for an economy built on the sweat and effort of the workers, aided by cheap loans being dished out by banks. Presiding over a creaking health service, while wholeheartedly endorsing Mary Harney. He gave two of the most important ministries to a party with only 3 elected representatives (healt and justice) as part of a deal to keep himself in power. He has also sat back as the gap between rich and poor has grown depite the country's wealth. Kids still attend rat infested portacabins as schools. Crime is on an upward trend. House price are out of reach of tens of thousands. We have no national stadium despite hundreds of millions being spent.
    To cap it off, whether those payments were used to bribe Bertie or not, the fact remains that tax was not paid on them, making him in the very least a tax defaulter. In a country where an unpaid T.V. licence by someone living under the poverty line can result in jail time, that is unacceptable. The media are today being accused of "hounding" him out. In actual fact it is a rare example of the media doing their job. If it was Enda Kenny of Eammon Gilmore who'd taken massive sums of money from random people, I suspect the uproar would've been louder even.
    A great statesman? I was embarrassed every time he opened his mouth abroad. In a way John Bruton, Albert Reynolds, Charlie Haughy and Garret Fitzgerald never did.
    Good riddance. He never represented me, ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

il gatto wrote: »
    I'm sickened by the "end of an era" backslapping we're already being subjected to. nicky Byrne massaging his father-in-law's ego on Joe Duffy earlier on.
    The common touch? Why? He liked football and pints? So Prince Harry has the common touch too then? Or John Magnier? Or Jacques Chirac?
    Charisma? Bad posture, a stammer and a nasal voice would indicate otherwise. (Before anyone disputes this, it's a matter of personal opinion. The characteristics I've outlined would normally be accepted as not attractive qualities). JFK he wasn't.
    The "good" he did for the country include: taking credit for an economy built on the sweat and effort of the workers, aided by cheap loans being dished out by banks. Presiding over a creaking health service, while wholeheartedly endorsing Mary Harney. He gave two of the most important ministries to a party with only 3 elected representatives (healt and justice) as part of a deal to keep himself in power. He has also sat back as the gap between rich and poor has grown depite the country's wealth. Kids still attend rat infested portacabins as schools. Crime is on an upward trend. House price are out of reach of tens of thousands. We have no national stadium despite hundreds of millions being spent.
    To cap it off, whether those payments were used to bribe Bertie or not, the fact remains that tax was not paid on them, making him in the very least a tax defaulter. In a country where an unpaid T.V. licence by someone living under the poverty line can result in jail time, that is unacceptable. The media are today being accused of "hounding" him out. In actual fact it is a rare example of the media doing their job. If it was Enda Kenny of Eammon Gilmore who'd taken massive sums of money from random people, I suspect the uproar would've been louder even.
    A great statesman? I was embarrassed every time he opened his mouth abroad. In a way John Bruton, Albert Reynolds, Charlie Haughy and Garret Fitzgerald never did.
    Good riddance. He never represented me, ever.

Could this be the first time ever as well :eek::D
    +1

tuppence wrote: »
    Could this be the first time ever as well :eek::D
    +1

Get a room you two!:D

Get a room you two!:D
    Why is that what you suggested to Starbelgrade! :p

tuppence wrote: »
    Why is that what you suggested to Starbelgrade! :p

He turned me down!:(

OT to me it seems none of "our" politicians are doing anything worth while so said minister will have to get in Line.

What happened today was always going to happen and it was probably decided that Bertie would win FF one more election and them become a scapegoat for the party.

It just happened sooner than expected.

I wouldn't imagine Devins is worried at all!

Devins will toe the party line as his connections are worth more to him than his electorate. He got re-elected last time, although not having been at the center of controversy, he did squat for Sligo. He was anonymous. There's a chance he would get elected next time too. There are enough lifetime FF'ers who would elect anyone rather than lose a seat to FG. Hopefully not, but some people lose all reason at election time (i.e. the last election).

I would have thought his "exposure" during this Cancer Crisis would be enough to carry him through!

• Advertisement

I would have thought his "exposure" during this Cancer Crisis would be enough to carry him through!
    What his rear profile while running away....

Really?
    I have to admit I haven't been following it so I presumed he was supporting the case being a former GP and all!

You mean the Sligo General cancer situation don't you? I would have thought his input been fairly ineffective hasnt it? :(

Really?
    I have to admit I haven't been following it so I presumed he was supporting the case being a former GP and all!
    http://www.sligochampion.ie/front-page/devins-145i-haven146t-thrown-in-the-towel146-1331116.html
    Hi I pulled this up for you and to brief me as well! (and bore the life out of everyone else)
    He hasnt been able to get Keane down to see Sligo General. Keane announced that he was just going to implement what was decided anyway. As from the other thread the lobby on keeping the service, petition etc has been somewhat poor. He has an influential portfolio in thsi case I would have thought. This guy Keane is either doing a little jig all over him or is it an example of learning from the master (ie Bertie) and "speaking from both sides of his mouth". *
    So I suppose he will be sad to see his mentor go! (on topic at last, phew!)

*probably not as simple but I am turning cynical though bad influences!

One of my mate's was reading a newspaper headline the other day... "Bertie Ahern ; A people's politician."

Then he looked up & said "Is that coz we paid for him?". :)

Really?

Dripping with sarcasm:) Junior Minister for Health, we salute you and your self serving nature. Multiple pensions and a general practice to return to, his wife is a judge with another big pension down the line. Grow some nuts Devins. How bad can life really get if you stand up for your constituency, or, gasp, quit the party?

Really?
    Was that sarcasm?! Doh! Not dripping enough for some of us. :o

Advertisement