Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Weird reg

Options
  • 02-04-2008 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is a right forum, sorry if it isn't.

Yesterday, while driving through town, I saw a car with a quite odd reg. number. It was like 00-D-1234567.

Maybe I'm wrong - but shouldn't there be six digits maximum (after the letter)? I checked the reg on cartell and it told me that it's too long.

I would put the picture up, but I don't know if it's allowed.

Anyone knows what's the story with that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Put up the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

over a million cars sold in a year? gotta be somethin up with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ojewriej wrote: »
    I would put the picture up, but I don't know if it's allowed

Yep it's allowed. Put the picture up

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Doesn't match the standard trade plate format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

Put up the pic!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Was it on a forecourt?
    Dealers will often just put a makey uppy plate on an imported car just to show the year and hide the fact it's imported to increase the interest in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Ok, here it is:

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/ojewriej/weirdreg.jpg

It was yesterday, around the Matter Hospital, don't know the name of the street.

You might have to zoom it in to see properly, it's straight from my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Not a legit reg, I'd contemplate reporting that one if I were you....

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

Does look dodgy, but could be a typo or somebody messing with a black marker?

00D112094 is on cartell is a lexus IS200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

I was thinking that it was something dodgy all right. But then, why make it so obvious. I mean, I know nothing about these things really, but it caught my attention.

I agree with the "kids with a marker" theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I think its to dodge the speed cameras. I have seen a few cars like this, ie the reg would read, heres an example : 05 D 24xxx on the front and on the back 05 D 94xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree with the "kids with a marker" theory.
    No ... the spacing is wrong for that. Without the trailing "1", there would be too much white space after the "4" to look right.

I agree with the others, report him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

looks wierd alright but would it be worthwhile reporting it?

Description Lexus Is200
    Colour BLUE
    Body type SALOON
    Fuel type PETROL
    Engine size (cc) 1988

it comes up as blue on carsireland search aswell so they must have stuck an extra 1 in there when getting the reg made up to confuse speed cameras??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Let's hazard a guess as to the profession of the owner...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

well for €300 (i think) you can prebook any number at all in between september and dec in the year before you register a new car (assuming january registration)

maybe he paid the money and got that reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

deegs wrote: »
    well for €300 (i think) you can prebook any number at all in between september and dec in the year before you register a new car (assuming january registration)

maybe he paid the money and got that reg?

As far as I know, not unless all the reg numbers up to it were used up first. Edit - you can probably book it, but not use it until the regs come up to that number.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Let's hazard a guess as to the profession of the owner...!

Drug Dealer, Gangster? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

eoin_s wrote: »
    As far as I know, not unless all the reg numbers up to it were used up first. Edit - you can probably book it, but not use it until the regs come up to that number.

yeah that's correct. If the number is over 1,000 you have to wait until it comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Could be, it is being used for a film or TV programme. I saw the red Calibra that was used for the film of Veronic Guerin, on road around the time the film was being made, the reg on it had too many numbers for the year of the car also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

As others have said take the photo to your nearest cop shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Surely if it's that dodgy the cops would already have spotted it? He's obviously got no problems driving around with that reg, and if you were going to fake a reg, wouldn't you specifically fake a less noticeable one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

A buddy of mine had a car with the correct reg on the rear, but the front one altered by a digit, said that it was to avoid parking tickets because the warden always checked the front plate and wrote that reg down, dont know if it ever worked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Edser wrote: »
    00D112094 is on cartell is a lexus IS200.

Good find!

As others said, it is probably done to dodge any reg recognition system. Report him, quoting the above reg and let us know any results

Actually, despite my eariler post here I recall that D regs went well over 100k in 2000 and since reading this I have seen two 00 D 11**** so it may not be dodgy after all..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was yesterday, around the Matter Hospital, don't know the name of the street
    You were heading northbound on Mountjoy Street towards its junction with Berkeley Street and Blessington Street. Blessington Lane is to the immediate left. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Actually, despite my eariler post here I recall that D regs went well over 100k in 2000 and since reading this I have seen two 00 D 11**** so it may not be dodgy after all..
    I agree - they finished around 105XXX in 2000 (I had 104XXX) but with subsequent imports the could easily have gone to 112XXX. The highest I've seen was 110XXX and that was a while back..

EDIT: I've just realised that it is a 7 digit number! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yup he'd be still waiting for the regs to hit 1mil if he did book that reg number :D

Um yeh, fair point I guess. D'oh

Advertisement