Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Alcoholics Anonymous

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Crystalset wrote: »
    I had been very ill-pneumonia & emphyema which required surgery. Doctors gave me the red card (I always hoped someone would say to me 'for you the war is over', never happened). After 10 months I had proved them right.
    One night I drank 7 pints of Stella draught lager. I had a check-up next
    day & the doc found rapid pulse + high BP + he did a blood test, then he just shrugged, said he was not going to say any more. On the way home I decided I'd try one day at a time. A publican friend, an AA man, told me
    that if I was not prepared to go to meetings I should walk & get rid of energy-very good advice. Used to do 5 or 6 miles every day.
    Three months on the going got hard, not a craving for alcohol but dealing with everyday problems without my crutch. Eventually I went for counselling-the best thing I've ever done. I was very lucky I got on really well with my counsellor. I had 16 hourly sessions, then it was suggested
    I try life on my own. Naturally there are good days & bad days but c'est la vie.
    Sometimes I wonder why me? Why have I survived when so many of my friends have succumbed?
    Maybe meetings would have made the journey easier, I never dismissed the idea thinking that if I had a relapse I would give it a go. I think the main reason I kept off it is I would never want to go thru' those early days again.

Good story. Its interesting you say that you wonder how you managed to survive and your friends succumb. I wonder about that sometimes, sometimes there is just a perfect storm around which you can successfully quit, and for some (I may say most) that never comes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement