Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Changes to keep me going

• 02-04-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've been having a little read of this forum this morning and I have to say I think it's great the support people can get when there on a diet. It's great to see.

Hope this post isn't too long. It's slightly compliacted. Basically, I wanted to see if anyone had any good advice. Over the last 3/4 months I've put on about 10 lbs. This is due to me being extremely low because of work and because we were saving to go travelling and not doing anything. I became very lethargic and sedentary and comfort ate a lot. I was away last week and for the first time in my life I felt uncomfortable wearing a bikini in public. I'd really like to lose a few lbs and get back to the weight I've been for the last few years. (8 and a half stone) I've tried to cut down my snacking for the past week or two and without really thinking about it managed to lose 3 lbs. :eek: I do feel much better about myself already now that my clothes aren't cutting in to me!

The problem is, I'm leaving Ireland in 3 weeks to move to NZ. It'll be 5/6 weeks before I'm settled there and am able to properly control my food intake. I'm travelling around Malaysia/Singapore for 3 weeks and then we have to find a flat etc so there'll be lots of eating out etc. I'm also living at home with my parents for the next three weeks which give me less control over dinners etc, although my parents are good eaters. Plus, as you can imagine I have about three leaving dos, and a number of meals out before I go.

Does anyone have any suggestions for little things I can do over the next 2/3 weeks and while I'm away to avoid putting the 3lbs back on, or even add more weight?! I mean little things like suggestions for snacks instead of my weakness, crisps (when in new countries I like to try all the different varieties of crisps!) or even with all the eating out we'll be doing over the next 6 weeks, both when travelling and our first few weeks in NZ, any smart choices when eating out?

I'm hoping because I won't be sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day and will be walking around that it won't be so bad. At least when we get settled in a flat etc I can plan meals.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Just a few things that popped into my head - I will post more later if I think of anything else.

Eating out - Just have a main course, or have a starter and then another starter for main. Remember restaurant portions are huge, don't stuff yourself. Take a break from eating every few minutes and assess if you are full (it takes your brain a few minutes to realise you are full). If you are full put your napkin over your plate so you don't continue picking. Drink loads of water with your meal, it will help you digest your food and make you feel more full.

Out drinking - Try to maybe alternate your drinks with water or a diet soft drink. Eat before you go out so you don't end up having a pit stop in a burger joint. For the morning after I find eggs are a really good way of feeling like you have had some 'hangover food' without the big dirty fry!

Snacks - Pick a healthy snack that hits the spot and carry it around everywhere with you! Personally I constantly have a little tub of unsalted nuts and a little tub of grapes (for the sweet cravings) in my handbag. If you do feel like a snack have a big glass of water. 9 times out of 10 you will find the craving will pass after a few minutes. If you are a 'tea/coffee and biccie' person try switching to herbal tea. They are really good for you and biscuits just do not work with them!

Portion size in general is something you should be aware of, there is no need to clear your plate every time!

While you are travelling - This will be a once in a lifetime experience. Don't let stressing about your weight or worrying about food spoil it in any way! By all means be aware of your portion sizes and go for the healthy option when available but don't be put off trying amazing food or start worrying about how you look.

I am by no means an expert but found these things work for me. I'm sure you will get great advice from some of the very helpful experts here!

Enjoy travelling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

In some ways, this might make things easier. I find sitting at home so close to the fridge is harder than when I'm out and about. At home, I'm more likely to eat just because the food is there, when I'm out, I'm more likely to wait till I'm actually hungry.

Portion control is the way to go. When eating out, ask for what you want, even if it's not on the menu. Always ask for meat/fish etc to be cooked simply, and for sauces on the side. Fill up on the vegetables and salad, try to avoid the chips/rice/pasta. Portion sizes for those are usually ludicrous. Ask for extra veg instead of rice. Have a salad starter (dressing on the side) and skip dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Thanks ladies.

I think you're right about the fridge thing.. well for me it's sitting at my desk at work and munching all day. I figure as I'll be walking around all day sightseeing etc it'll make things easier.

I don't want to have to worry about it too much when I'm away but I also don't want to put on loads more weight before I settle down. I'll take these on board and just think about food a bit more carefully. My OH is all excited about the food they have in Malaysia so think it'll be a little bit of a food-fest! If I just think about what I'm eating a bit more hopefully that'll help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Could I suggest that before you go, you get a small scales and spend an hour so measuring the sort of food you eat and getting used to seeing what a portion looks like? That way, when you get food in restaurants, you'll have a good idea of whether you should leave half of it or skip dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

EileenG wrote: »
    Could I suggest that before you go, you get a small scales and spend an hour so measuring the sort of food you eat and getting used to seeing what a portion looks like? That way, when you get food in restaurants, you'll have a good idea of whether you should leave half of it or skip dessert.

Great suggestion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement