Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who'll be the new leader of Fianna Fail...

Options
  • 02-04-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

So who'll be the new leader of Fianna Fail... and Taoiseach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Looks like it will be Cowan but I personally would brefer Lenihan

I would expect FF to nail down the decision rapidly and there may not even be a contest just a coronation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭token56

More than likely it will be Cowan.

Whats also interesting is who will be the new finance minister should this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Brian Cowan. Bertie said he'd go on May 6th to allow Brian and the wife get new clothes to wear for the photo op. Bet you Brian is down in Louis Copelands getting measured up for his new suit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Brian Cowan. Can't see anyone else getting it.

Cowen looks a shoo in.

Brian Lenihan would be very popular, and could give him a fright, but has ruled himself out. His time will come.

Apart from that Dermot Ahern would be popular, but perhaps not enough to really challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Lenihan has already effectively discounted himself and installed himself as Cowen's deputy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Rumours are that Mary Hanafin might take a shot...

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I would like to see Mary Hannifan take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No thanks to Hannifan. Cowan will get it. Wouldn't mind O'Cuiv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Cowen. I think Enda Kenny has a point when he says that since Bertie is effectively admitting guilt, and since the entire Cabinet supported him, they should now seek a new mandate from the people in an election. According to Bertie though, his resignation had nothing to do with 'recent events.' Won't happen anyway.

As I said, Cowen.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

davej wrote: »

davej
    Would be a disaster given the was she has handled the Kids with Special Needs issue

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Maybe they should just let Enda Kenny be Leader of a new super party called FFFG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

How about Dustin the Turkey and FF wont notice a turkey from a dead duck.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Cowen with Lenihan as deputy.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Dessiemc27

Heard Cowen speaking at a Letterkenny Chamber of Commerse Dinner in October last. Great speaker with a thunder in his speeches. Would be a great Taoiseach, the perfect candidate to lift Ireland out of the end of the Celtic Tiger era..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Dessiemc27

Cowen Dosent fit the profile of previous Taoiseachs but I get the feeling he is the natural choice as a leader of a country

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Dessiemc27 wrote: »
    Cowen Dosent fit the profile of previous Taoiseachs but I get the feeling he is the natural choice as a leader of a country

He is not the natural choice; he will be the choice of the people who matter in Fianna Fail. The rest of us do not get a say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭Riddle101

kizzyr wrote: »
    Brian Cowan. Bertie said he'd go on May 6th to allow Brian and the wife get new clothes to wear for the photo op. Bet you Brian is down in Louis Copelands getting measured up for his new suit. ;)

I'd say he already had his suit made last year, but yeah i think Cowan will get it, all the finace minsters are usually the one to get in power because they're the most important of all the minsters, well the departments are

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

davej wrote: »

davej

Ive a greater chance of getting the job of President of the USA as she has becomming Leader of FF.

Cowen is a "shoe in" if he wants it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

snyper wrote: »
    Cowen is a "shoe in" if he wants it

Why would he not want it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im not saying he doesnt, but you can never tell.

Sometimes for personal reasons. But hes head and shoulders above the rest with the possible exceptions of Dermot Ahern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

snyper wrote: »
    Im not saying he doesnt, but you can never tell.

Sometimes for personal reasons. But hes head and shoulders above the rest with the possible exceptions of Dermot Ahern.

Possibly true enough about Cowen and Dermot Ahern but there is not too much competition within the rest of the FF parliamentary party in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

the opposition will be praying that cowen gets it for the simple reason that an election with brian cowen as taosieach will be better for the opposition

brian cowen wont play well in urban areas and especially dublin , he,s about as polished and urbane as an old massy ferguson , hes got an offaly accent , hes no oil painting and hes not from dublin which never plays well in dublin
    immage is vital in the world of politics today , just look at barrack obama in the usa
    dermot aherne would be a good taoiseach , hes very urbane , well spoken and would be brilliant on the international stage having been in foreign affairs
    immage aside , i dont like cowan anyhow , he messed up stamp duty reform which was the begining of the end for the property boom
    hes not a reformer in that hes very conservative and cautious for all his bluster
    mc dowell was a reformer, haughey was a reformer
    cowan is just a grumpy surly man from the midlands
    he,ll get the gig though , FF are all about loyalty to there own kind so he,l get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Personally I would prefer to see Dermot Ahern in there, but Cowen looks more likely.

Does anyone see any resemblances with Gordon Brown and Brian Cowen??

I think they look alike.....

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

slumped wrote: »
    Personally I would prefer to see Dermot Ahern in there, but Cowen looks more likely.

Does anyone see any resemblances with Gordon Brown and Brian Cowen??

I think they look alike.....

S

they not only look alike , they are alike , there both dour grumpy surly sulks , at least gordon brown has the excuse of being scottish

whats amusing about this is blair and bertie were so alike aswell

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

immage is vital in the world of politics today , just look at barrack obama in the usa
    dermot aherne would be a good taoiseach , hes very urbane , well spoken and would be brilliant on the international stage having been in foreign affairs
    And yet, Bertie (urbane? I don't think so) is very popular on the international circuit.

Perhaps image isn't everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I think it's funny how Brian Cowen has aged:

_37393_cowen_150.jpg

and now

frontpageimage.jpg

urghh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

The Examiner had a page covering the possible successors, including...

1) Mary Hanafin - the woman who refuses to listen to parents groups
    2) Noel Dempsey - the guy who screwed up Broadband and cost us a fortune in eVoting machines

God Help Us! It's enough to make you want to bring back Bertie!!! :o

• Advertisement

brian cowen wont play well in urban areas and especially dublin , he,s about as polished and urbane as an old massy ferguson , hes got an offaly accent , hes no oil painting and hes not from dublin which never plays well in dublin
    immage aside , i dont like cowan anyhow , he messed up stamp duty reform which was the begining of the end for the property boom
    hes not a reformer in that hes very conservative and cautious for all his bluster
    mc dowell was a reformer, haughey was a reformer
    cowan is just a grumpy surly man from the midlands

Agree with that. There's something appealing about Dermot Ahern, and Brian just hasn't got it. I hope Dermot runs, but would be pleasantly surprised if he got it.

Advertisement