Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who'll be the new leader of Fianna Fail...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

A prominent (local) politician from my part of the world recently was part of a delegation that went to see Minister Hanafin about funding for a school. I won’t elaborate as I do not want to compromise anyone. We all realise that what you want (from ministers etc.) is not necessarily what you will get, but I was reliably informed that the arrogance and rudeness of minister Hanafin in dismissing them (the delegation) was breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

this is my favourite Cowen pic, taken after being, ahem, 'sociable' at an Ogra FF bash

BrianCowan3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

this is my favourite Cowen pic, taken after being, ahem, 'sociable' at an Ogra FF bash

BrianCowan3.png

He's sweating like a pig in heat there.......

Don't think Dermot Ahern would be pictured like that!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ve140k12b95lld9t0u5m.jpg

Vote early! Vote Often!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

slumped wrote: »
    I think it's funny how Brian Cowen has aged:

_37393_cowen_150.jpg

What made people think those glasses were acceptable lol!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Is it just me or does Irish politics without Bertie just seem...stagnant? Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Bertie(though I do believe I'll remember him with nostalgia due to the time of my life he ruled in) however there seems to be no viable candidate to replace him. I don't see why ANYONE should be a "shoe in" for the job of leading Ireland out of the economic/social mire it is facing, especially not a uncouthed sack of fat like Cowan.

Personally I think it's time for a little change in the way government is done in Ireland and I really don't think Cowan is up to the job. Alot of very important issues need to be tackled(Improving rather than replacing our public heath care service, effective implementation of infrastructure development rather than crony ism based cash cow's, the list continues) and these people simply won't do anything about the problems other than continue along the well trodden path towards increasing national debt and decreasing national wealth for their own benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

ok cowan is in the running...not really acceptable,but ok its a thought...but this f***in dempsey, keep this sh*t away at all costs..he used to teach me in st josephs in drogheda in the early 70s and he was a conniving dictator..if people thought bertie was a gangster...dont even attempt to vote this f***er in...anyone who runs up a bill of 75,000euros for a paddys day trip to oz..is either totaly mad or an apprentice mathematicion....excuse the spelling,but the thought of this is mind boggling...this **** charged us for using plastic bags...what will happen if this s**t gets in...he is a total wa***r.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

sorry peeps,this is a heartfelt rant,didnt mean to offend any pro dempsey people but to me he is a tota s**t...bad memories even though it was from the early 70s:mad:

Very obviously Cowen

Tullamore could use an international airport....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

greatgoal wrote: »
    ok cowan is in the running...not really acceptable,but ok its a thought...but this f***in dempsey, keep this sh*t away at all costs..he used to teach me in st josephs in drogheda in the early 70s and he was a conniving dictator..if people thought bertie was a gangster...dont even attempt to vote this f***er in...anyone who runs up a bill of 75,000euros for a paddys day trip to oz..is either totaly mad or an apprentice mathematicion....excuse the spelling,but the thought of this is mind boggling...this **** charged us for using plastic bags...what will happen if this s**t gets in...he is a total wa***r.
    A truely awe-inspiring post :rolleyes: The plastic bag levy was a great idea. But no, I do not want Dempsey as Taoiseach. In fact I think I'd emigrate. I won't have to though, Cowen is a shoe in now Dermot Ahern, Martin and Hanafin have all ruled themselves out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Regardless of who it is they've been tainted, not getting Bertie to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" from the earliest opportunity......

He might tell it yet, but it'll be too little, too late.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

A prominent (local) politician from my part of the world recently was part of a delegation that went to see Minister Hanafin about funding for a school. I won’t elaborate as I do not want to compromise anyone. We all realise that what you want (from ministers etc.) is not necessarily what you will get, but I was reliably informed that the arrogance and rudeness of minister Hanafin in dismissing them (the delegation) was breathtaking.

Really? I have always found her to be incredibly personable.

Perhaps it will be Cowan, until rattle rattle, then we will have Lenihan waiting in the wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

So, the annointed one, Brian 'piggy' Cowen, aka biffo, is being appointed, the chosen one, the mantle passed on from the 'great' Bertie Ahern.

Its ironic - when we looked on at countries such as North Korea when leadership was passed from father to son without a valid contest, or at Russia where Putin annointed and passed on control to Medvedev (sp?), huge questions were raised about the validity of the democrarcy of those countries. Now we have a situation whereby the people voted very recently in a general election with Ahern as leader of FF, and now the government leader is changed, with a shoe-in based on a similar annointing. Is this democratic? Not very, in my book. It re-affirms a pyramid stucture that exists in our political system, where its 'jobs for the boys' or 'lasses' all the way to the top. That makes ar.se licking and other kow-towing and cringeing methods endemic, and built-in to the political system, and the civil service. It also can lead to corruption opportunities as vested interests are protected and exploited.

Btw, when you look along the line of the cabinet, there is not much quality there that you would earmark as leader/Taoiseach material. An older Brian Lenihan has potential perhaps. Dermot Ahern would seem reasonable. I'm not a fan of Biffo as he has a 'right-wing' type of attitude when it comes to implementing policy and basically avoids the truth and is pig-headed about it, eg: the housing slowdown, the economic slowdown.

I think that the other parties will be happy to contest against Cowen. He has a number of disadvantages, including being form the midlands which will not garner much support in areas such as Dublin, or indeed Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, etc. The selection of Tanaiste and Minister for Finance will be important for FF in terms of their 'sellability', etc, as well as for the careers of the people involved.

Bertie was used as a goafer yet went to the top hanging on the coat-tails of Haughey as he was seen as not being 'smart enough' to do any wrong. On the grand scale of things, he probably just dabbled. Although, as Haughey said and others who work with him behind closed doors will confirm, he is more cunning than he lets on. A typical 'cute hoor'.

By the way, one of my earlier posts was deleted on another thread, but its worth re-stating: I enjoyed watching Bertie Ahern squirm when he made his resignation announcement, and enjoyed listening to his voice quiver and break up and hear him sound tearful. Its good to see someone like this get their come-uppance.

> arrogance and rudeness of minister Hanafin

I have heard similar anecdotal evidence and have some direct evidence myself. She is sort of always a teacher and dismisses the 'common' people as if they are children in school that dont know any better. She can hold her own in debates usually, and is a 24 hr politician. She'd make an ideal headmistress.

Re-admittance of Beverly Cooper-Flynn
    And its business as usual at FF. Ahern cant see what he has done as being wrong, Cooper-Flynn likewise and FF readily admit her back into the fold. Jeez.

When will the voting public ever learn? It is up to us collectively to be the police of morals and corruption. If anyone in Mayo has even half an inkling of a backbone or any moral fibre, they would have campaigned vigorously NOT to vote for Cooper-Flynn. Likewise people in Tipp with Lowry. But what do we get? Corrupted people coming back in on very popular votes. It was the same with Bertie.

If you want to change the culture of politics in Ireland, look to your fellow voter, most of whom seem to be 'unwashed' and clueless. We get what we deserve.

Redspider

Advertisement