Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Never mind IKEA, how about the record shops?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Unfortunately everything has gone to hell as regards record shops. Hector's House used to be great - closed down now. Also I noticed Stovelid mentioned Backbeat. As far as I am aware it is closed down as well. I will be passing it after work today so I can post back later after my mid week pintage.

All we have is bloody Zavvi and HMV. Cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 casimir23

Woah. Bad news, but thanks for the info. It'd be great if you could check out Backbeat.

Lots of these shops have closed in Dublin in the last 5 years but there's a few still going.

So what does a vinyl head do in Belfast (besides ebay)? Are there are record fairs, or is it just that one shop Zavvi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

It's weird for a city to have only 2 music shops. There must be some independent ones somewhere? I've had to shop online so often because what I'm looking for just isn't in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 casimir23

There are two second hand shops carrying vinyl:

Phoenix Records
    Backbeat

Both located in The Haymarket, Royal Avenue

I asked someone in the Street where the Haymarket was and he hadn't a clue, though he told me he'd lived in Belfast all his life. It turned out we were only 2 minutes from the place at the time, so I think this is a case of a place not being known by it's official 'phone book' address.

It's a little arcade on Royal Avenue. On the same side as the Castle Court shopping centre. Zavvi is a large CD/DVD/game shop on the edge of the shopping centre. If you walk from the door of Zavvi, past the main doors to Castle Court, and then keep walking for 1 minute you'll be there. Both shops have billboards standing on the path outside so it's easy to find if you know what you're looking for.

Even an idiot like me could understand those directions, so if you have any interest in secondhand vinyl, go in and check them out. And if you have any vinyl you don't want, bring it in and sell it. Otherwise these guys will have to close down and Belfast will be a poorer place for it.

Notes:

Backbeat is the sucessor to Terri Hooley's old shop Good Vibrations, which is a part of NI history. Ask to see the letter from Bill Clinton.

Backbeat is listed on yell.com as being on Great Victoria Street, but I think that's a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

casimir23 wrote: »
    s

Backbeat is listed on yell.com as being on Great Victoria Street, but I think that's a mistake.

So Backbeat is open again. :)

It was definitely on GVS previously so obviously they haven't updated the ads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement