Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Comunity Question

Options
  • 02-04-2008 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

oh, im not going to ban you.

as for hagar, well, if you knew the full story, you might understand a bit more.

just remember, becuase you dont understand why something has happened, doesnt mean that there are not good reasons for the actions taken.
    and also remember that we dont have to tell you absolutely bloody everything that goes on.

That post got me thinking. Boards is a comunity i dont spend much time on boards anymore but look at the interaction between the posts its more than a normel message board as posters have gotten to know one another very well. But to make the comunity more inviting perhaps info on this like this should be discosed.

I remember getting that PM from bubbles a good while ago and he was banned but there was never a full explenation, i know it was for a mass pm but there where other things.

Maybe the banlist should reflect the real reasons posters are banned instead of the (very funny) one liners that admins put up?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There is no freedom of information on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Hagar wasn't banned at all. It was a practical joke. Therefore anything said in those 'Hagar is cool', 'We want Hagar back' etc threads should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Generally the reasons on the banlist are quite accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Generally the reasons on the banlist are quite accurate.
    Indeed, the banlist makes it easier to see what happened.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

User45701 wrote: »
    Maybe the banlist should reflect the real reasons posters are banned

The real reasons for the banning are posted.

Hagar was never banned, it was a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It was an April Fool's Day gag. Anybody who knew that was being deliberately evasive so as not to spoil the joke. Simple enough really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There is no freedom of information on boards.

So you won't be naming names in relation to the film of the week cheats then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think Hagar should be site-banned for causing so many feedback threads.

Again? [DejaVu]That's a bit harsh isn't it?[/DejaVu]

Hagar wrote: »
    Again? [DejaVu]That's a bit harsh isn't it?[/DejaVu]

I'm not sure if it is a bit harsh.
    I'll get back to you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I think Hagar should be site-banned for causing so many feedback threads.

+1

• Advertisement

Oh how the fickle mob turns

They're a hard audience all right. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

The Hugar thing aside i was talking in general. For those posters should thwey not know whats going on in their comunity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The Hugar thing aside i was talking in general. For those posters should thwey not know whats going on in their comunity?

Why should they? Do you know every little detail that goes on in your Real Life community?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Might not be a bad idea, but any change to the system in that nature will be a bit down the road.

Just so you know, sitebanning is generally reserved for a) spambots, b) people who threaten legal action and c) lunatic keyboard warriors.

There's honestly not a lot else people can be sitebanned for (with some high profile exceptions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I generally post a line or two as to why people are banned, if they merit an explanation. Such is for their benefit alone, and for any passing admin that may look upon in wonder. If people don't merit an explanation for their banning (spambots for example) then they don't get one.

While we all play to the gallery from time to time, and are aware the banlist has something of a following, the ban reasons are not for the titillation of everybody. Such information is ostensibly between the banner, and the bannee.

I'm finding it difficult to understand what it is you want us to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,214 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Answer: hold a funeral/banning ceremony. Post a sitewide announcement: "We regret to inform you all that Terry has been banned for Drink-Moderating. It was for his own good."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - I know what you are saying. For example, this banning:
    01-04-2008, 9:57 Oriel NEVER No I am not joking. Vexorg

When I saw that I thought, "Oooh! What's gone on there?"

But the reality of the matter is that it is none of my damn business. Neither are any of the bannings of other users, no matter how much my curiosity is piqued.

Chinafoot hit the nail on the head with her comment above. As with any community it is not possible, nor is it desirable, for community leaders to share every bit of information about community members with all other community members.

* Runs off to request "J Stalin Appreciation Forum" *

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hill Billy wrote: »
    When I saw that I thought, "Oooh! What's gone on there?"
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055266221

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I'm finding it difficult to understand what it is you want us to do.

Well as othe rposters have outlined its my curiosity.
    I just think the time i spend on boards is wrong.

I should either spend less time so i dont care about any of the posters or spend more time and involve myself more because that way i would know more. I might even know the bubbles thing and i think there was one or two others but i heard a pretty sad story about that bubbles chap where he was looking in the window of a boards beers but didnt go in he just stood there for ages or something - i dont know it was years ago and for all i know that line may have been a joke because sometimes sarcasm can be hard to spot on paper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Well as othe rposters have outlined its my curiosity.
    I just think the time i spend on boards is wrong.

I should either spend less time so i dont care about any of the posters or spend more time and involve myself more because that way i would know more. I might even know the bubbles thing and i think there was one or two others but i heard a pretty sad story about that bubbles chap where he was looking in the window of a boards beers but didnt go in he just stood there for ages or something - i dont know it was years ago and for all i know that line may have been a joke because sometimes sarcasm can be hard to spot on paper...
    If he did, he did it because he thought it was funny.

Advertisement